Match Thread: Barrow Raiders v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 28th April 2019

Can't remember a period where we had lost 3 of our last 4 games yet the mood was generally so upbeat...but we now embark on a string of games that we simply need to win.

Our league table position isn't great with 2 games left to the halfway stage of the season, but we visit two of the lower teams in the table in the next two weeks, followed by a chance to finally get the Blackpool monkey off our back against York, followed by a home game against Bradford. Win all four of those games, and our league placing will have a very different look.

Bussey has received a 1-game suspension following the Toronto game, so he'll be available this weekend but will miss the Rochdale game. So probably not too many changes this weekend you'd think. Still no real news on when Holmes might be available, but presumably if he's still out Bussey will be playing "prop half" again, and why not after his huge performance against Toronto.

Jimmy Beckett has returned to Keighley on loan, but our pack looks relatively healthy at the moment.

Barrow have some talent in their ranks - Tee Ritson is very speedy at full back, and they have some big units in the forwards. I watched some of their game against Bradford and they defended very well. The concern is whether the players can mentally get back up for this game after the huge effort against Toronto, but it will still be disappointing if we can't come back with two points.

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Tom Holmes sighting! He's been named in the 19-man squad. Golding also returns, Broadbent misses out along with the loaned-out Boas.

I'd suspected the timing of Holmes appearing would coincide with Watson's departure. Glad to see him back. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

Am sure I'm not the only one who has been waiting to crack that gag all season! BTW well done on your commentary on Monday, is it true that we now have to wait each week to see if you are available on dual reg from the comms team to contribute to the match thread? ?

???

No mate, I'm staying where I am. That's one tough gig is that and all credit to those who do it on a regular basis. Jamie and Morgan helped me a lot on the day. 

I'm better off with my stats and excel speadsheets at the ready tbh.

10 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Cracking looking squad that now. If TH gets backup to speed quickly then we will really start to click.

Shifting Render from FB would be tough but may happen. Good players are now going to be outside the 17. Plus Teteh and Briscoe to come back.....

Agree. Think we may need to not have too high expectations for Holmes too soon, it's often said that players don't return to their best following serious knee injuries for some time after they return, but ti's great to have him back.

Yes will be interesting to see whether he goes Golding full back Render wing or vice versa, think we have all been impressed by Render but it's definitely a tough decision either way.

I'd probably have Wheeldon or Ormondroyd as the one to miss out along with Maskill. Wheeldon hasn't quite been at his best lately (though his effort to race 50 yards back and tackle Russell v Toronto was outstanding), Ormondroyd has played pretty well I'd say but so have all the other forwards...I thought Harrison went well enough playing middle rather than edge against Toronto to be worth persisting with in that position, especially as we already have Day, Davies and Walters who seem best as edge 2nd rows.

15 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Maskil and 1 of the forwards to miss out?

I would give lockwood a rest this week played a lot  11 and tougher games coming up especially our favorite THE BASH

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Agree. Think we may need to not have too high expectations for Holmes too soon, it's often said that players don't return to their best following serious knee injuries for some time after they return, but ti's great to have him back.

Yes will be interesting to see whether he goes Golding full back Render wing or vice versa, think we have all been impressed by Render but it's definitely a tough decision either way.

I'd probably have Wheeldon or Ormondroyd as the one to miss out along with Maskill. Wheeldon hasn't quite been at his best lately (though his effort to race 50 yards back and tackle Russell v Toronto was outstanding), Ormondroyd has played pretty well I'd say but so have all the other forwards...I thought Harrison went well enough playing middle rather than edge against Toronto to be worth persisting with in that position, especially as we already have Day, Davies and Walters who seem best as edge 2nd rows.

golding at fullback all day long 

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Tom Holmes sighting! He's been named in the 19-man squad. Golding also returns, Broadbent misses out along with the loaned-out Boas.

Where is the team listed?

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Elementary...

I'll set em up, you knock em down. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

14 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Thanks for that TPH. My computer has a mind of its own. Mind you the number at the end reminds me of my National Service days. Smith 22707195. It is of course a lot longer.

2 hours ago, jamescolin said:

How did we line up?

Golding

Render

Sutcliffe

Hardcastle

Carey

Bussey

Chisholm

Wheeldon

King

Makatoa