Half Backs

Blind side johnny

Plenty of chuntering in the South Stand recently about why we don't sign a decent half back because "there must be plenty of them knocking about". It is interesting to see a fair bit of movement of players over the last few days.

Cain Southernwood on loan to York.

Watson Boas on loan to Doncaster.

Dane Chisholm on loan to Featherstone.

Ryan Brierley on loan to Leigh.

Which of these would the critics have had us obtain?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Only Dane Chisholm - he looked good for Fev v Toronto,.

Brierley is a great finisher, but not a creative player and defensively weak.

Chisholm is great player till he spits his dummy out,done it everywhere he’s been.

Apparently we enquired about Brierley a while ago but his agent was asking ridiculous money.

Cain Southernwood had a spell here very early on his career but Jowett said he wasn’t good enough,get be any good anyway because Batley got rid?

The problem is ... the problem!!  decent half backs are as rare as rocking horse poo .... some clubs are even thinking of taking Rangi Chase!! .... We have a good 6 and 7 in Sykes and Finn..... but they are getting on and we have no cover!! .. its really been exposed in recent games with Sykes and Finn destroying Fev ... but then  Sykes got injured  its been abysmal since!! ..... Can Lee find a Danny Richardson type on loan??   ... Can Simon Brown step up?? ..  ... or would we take a chance on Rangi Chase??

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It's not half backs, it's the team spirit, which is worrying. Watched the highlights against Leigh and even when we scored to get to 24-12 the team still looked beaten.

Can’t disagree there,I said after the Batley game our team spirit looked very flat. What’s happened to it?

45 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Can’t disagree there,I said after the Batley game our team spirit looked very flat. What’s happened to it?

Simple really, and LG has identified the issue clearly: we have a relatively inexperienced team with no leaders or talkers. As every referee in the game knows Paul Sykes is certainly a talker and his influence is being badly missed. Liam Finn will lead the team around the pitch expertly but he is fairly quiet as well. You could see this in the Batley game - they were chatting and chelping whilst our team was almost silent.

We need more "characters" but they also need to be able to play.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Is Michael Knowles a talker.? Is he a pack leader.?  He certainly puts in the hard work and effort. Put him back in the pack for me.

Talking of half backs - where has Brad Delayney got to ? He used to score tries just from backing up alone and he was quick. Just the player to profit immensly from understudying Finn and Sykes. Don't know why he left but this may have all been forgotten and it may be possible to tempt him back. Certainly hope so.

4 hours ago, myview said:

Is Michael Knowles a talker.? Is he a pack leader.?  He certainly puts in the hard work and effort. Put him back in the pack for me.

Talking of half backs - where has Brad Delayney got to ? He used to score tries just from backing up alone and he was quick. Just the player to profit immensly from understudying Finn and Sykes. Don't know why he left but this may have all been forgotten and it may be possible to tempt him back. Certainly hope so.

He has left RL completely I believe.

If Brad Delaney has left the sport completely then there will be no competition for his services. Does anybody on this forum know him well enough to have a quiet word with him? Of course it may be wise to also get the views of LG first.  There is nothing like knowing that you are valued and wanted to temp you back into the game. I for one certainly liked to watch him play and I can assure you that I am not a relative and he doesn't know me from Adam.

Plenty of delaneys to grab or call down at moor arlfc

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

1 hour ago, myview said:

If Brad Delaney has left the sport completely then there will be no competition for his services. Does anybody on this forum know him well enough to have a quiet word with him? Of course it may be wise to also get the views of LG first.  There is nothing like knowing that you are valued and wanted to temp you back into the game. I for one certainly liked to watch him play and I can assure you that I am not a relative and he doesn't know me from Adam.

For some people there may be other things more important than playing part-time RL. Astonishing, I know, but there it is.

Doncaster seemed to utilise their extra strength on Sunday too. ?

Lets hope is that we see Finn and Brown staying at 6 & 7 come Saturday.  Think they are starting to click and although Im not are Mr Sykes would like it I think we could leave them there all season and pop Paul in the centre when he's back to fitness.  Not only would this mean we have a proper centre out there it would also improve our defence on that right side.  

It seems to me that teams have worked out that if they get down our right hand side they'll score...Even Thatto Heath had this pegged...

The advantage is with two half backs is that opposition don't know which side the ball is going. Witness Gabriel's 2nd try and Finn's try on Sunday, both from Brown's plays. Though it surprised me that Liam Finn beat everyone to the ball.

On 28/04/2019 at 20:32, myview said:

The problem with signing Brad Delaney was unfortunately was as simple as 2 figures,Brad's figure was deemed too high,the Rams figure was deemed too low ,and that left a gulf in-between,personally I'd have gone a little further,in the hope Brad would have gone down a little further.

But that's life...feel a Sham 69 song coming on ??? They're saying

that's life
But I'm taking the blame
They're saying that's life
But I'm taking the blame

I see Rochdales new coach has released Tyler Whitaker ... I seem to recollect he just about single handedly beat us at home last season .... would be a decent addition and great cover at stand off for Paul Sykes and is also a decent full back!... I have no idea why he has been released.

• 3 weeks later...

Izaac Farrell has been released by Huddersfield Giants, and a Championship club will be announcing his signing very soon.

Think he could do a decent job at half back where ever he goes.

1 hour ago, andyram said:

Izaac Farrell has been released by Huddersfield Giants, and a Championship club will be announcing his signing very soon.

Think he could do a decent job at half back where ever he goes.

Wasn't he playing in Cumbria?

I agree that he looks like a promising youngster - just needs the right experience and guidance.

Think the young Farrell struggled at the Mount playing alongside his brother  and I was not disappointed when he went back to the Giant's. Some potential but will struggle at Rochdale if he is there to lead the team.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

Archived