Local elections ...

Who will you vote for in these vital votes?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a party

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Green
    • Ukip
    • Other
    • I have no local election this year

This poll is closed to new votes

A friend of mine in Canada says that in his 'local municipal elections' there is no party allegiances.  There are just names on a ballot paper and you vote for the person who you think would do the best job for your community.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Steve May said:

Representation of the People Act 1969.

It also lowered the voting age from 21 to 18

Steve, I've been trying hard to find corroboration for this and failed.

I've not read through the Act and nor have I any intention of doing so, but I've spent ages trying to find images from that time, but none actually show "Joe Bloggs LAB".

The only images I can find are related to the fake Ted Heath and the lengths the Conservative Party had to go to to ensure that people voted for the real Ted Heath. The images do not actually show "HEATH, Edward CON". They stress that voters should vote for the bottom name on the ballot paper. That does include the strap line "Leader of the Conservative Party", but it is not really obvious. This suggests that the actual implementation of "CON" or "LAB" on the ballot paper came later.

Perhaps the Act allowed for it, but the shenanigans in 1970 forced the implementation.

By the way, even though my query started with "1970 UK", 99% of the images either include UKIP, so must be post-2000, or are from other countries. Google can be an ######.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

20 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Steve, I've been trying hard to find corroboration for this and failed.

I've not read through the Act and nor have I any intention of doing so, but I've spent ages trying to find images from that time, but none actually show "Joe Bloggs LAB".

The only images I can find are related to the fake Ted Heath and the lengths the Conservative Party had to go to to ensure that people voted for the real Ted Heath. The images do not actually show "HEATH, Edward CON". They stress that voters should vote for the bottom name on the ballot paper. That does include the strap line "Leader of the Conservative Party", but it is not really obvious. This suggests that the actual implementation of "CON" or "LAB" on the ballot paper came later.

Perhaps the Act allowed for it, but the shenanigans in 1970 forced the implementation.

By the way, even though my query started with "1970 UK", 99% of the images either include UKIP, so must be post-2000, or are from other countries. Google can be an ######.

Here you go

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transformingsociety/electionsvoting/1969-rotp-act/1969-rotp-collections-/1969-sixth-reform-act-/

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

It’s a good job for the government there’s not a set of elections coming up where the public can display their disapproval with the governing party...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 30/04/2019 at 08:15, Bedford Roughyed said:

Not sure if this has just been a Bedford thing, but there has been a distinct lack of party posters in windows or gardens? 

Definitely not just a Bedford thing. I've only seen a couple of posters round my neck of the woods. 

I think a lot of people think the same as Brenda from "Brizzel". 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Interestingly the only candidates in my ward who had their party on the ballot paper were the two labour candidates, the rest, who are all conservatives, or have stood under that banner previously, have nothing next to their name, not even independent. 

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just did my bit for local democracy. Let's just say, the electorate weren't exactly queuing out the door... 

So, perfectly normal for these elections, then?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Just did my bit for local democracy. Let's just say, the electorate weren't exactly queuing out the door... 

Just been and voted.  Asked the lady in the polling station "Quiet day?"  She said "Hardly anyone has voted compared to the last local election. It's like people are trying to send a message, or just fed up."

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

I voted - ABC

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Voted.  

Lib Dem for mayor and one of each for Labour and Lib Dem on the council.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Faced with the option of Lib Dems, Conservatives or Labour, by a process of elimination ended up voting Lib Dems as the one with the shortest list of negatives!

Envy those who step out of the booth having voted for something!

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

Voted Green today.

It was either that or not at all.

Likewise.   But did it last week with a postal vote. 

I travel so much with work that I can’t guarantee being there on a given Thursday. 

It’s such a shame.   A postal vote just isn’t the same as going to a polling station 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

9 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

British politics is at such a low, that the main news threads on the BBC are around the number of dogs and cats photographed at polling stations. (Or is that more of a reflection on the BBC?)

It's more a reflection that, in law, they're not allowed to do anything more than report that people are voting.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Steve May said:

Likewise.   But did it last week with a postal vote. 

I travel so much with work that I can’t guarantee being there on a given Thursday. 

It’s such a shame.   A postal vote just isn’t the same as going to a polling station 

Can I just say that I am genuinely stunned that you and @John Drake are no longer turning out for Labour? I mean, I get why and all that, but it's a reflection just how far the world has turned in a short space of time.

13 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

British politics is at such a low, that the main news threads on the BBC are around the number of dogs and cats photographed at polling stations. (Or is that more of a reflection on the BBC?)

Between 8am and 10pm they are pretty much not allowed to do anything else.  Nothing allowed that could change or influence a vote.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived