Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Exiled Townie

Southern Conference League

7 hours ago, London Drifter said:

Any idea why the result has been removed from the Rfl website?

Seems to be back now.  I was very surprised at the Bedford/Eastern score.

26 minutes ago, CambridgeBlue said:

Why surprised at the Bedford / Eastern score?

Would've fancied that Eastern would win that one.

3 hours ago, bbfaz said:

They need to complete this season for the good of the club.

Never was there a truer word said. 🦌👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CambridgeBlue said:

Well they are 3rd in the table with 4 points after 2 games so a positive start for Bedford. Perhaps they are stronger than you think

Or the others are weaker than he thought.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

19 hours ago, CambridgeBlue said:

Well they are 3rd in the table with 4 points after 2 games so a positive start for Bedford. Perhaps they are stronger than you think

Sure but only a fool would suggest that they are better than Chargers, who are in 4th, 1-1-1 because they've faced all the pre-season favourites.  Maybe it's the travel.  Everybody is stronger at home.  I saw Bedford get toyed with by Hemel pre-season and fancied that they'd struggle against the better teams in the league.  They have some excellent strike runners though and, if you can't stop them, they'll rip through you, as they did to North Herts.  Let's judge again in mid-June.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CambridgeBlue said:

Just suggesting that Bedford are stronger than you think and not that they’re better than Chargers. 

No fool here.

We shall see.

As the season nears an end, I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are of the first season?

Has it been a success?

What lessons can be learned? 

I know the West division has seen a few games cancelled, which seems particularly a problem in Wales where they rely heavily on union players. Not sure what we can do about that

i think it's been a successful season for all involved Great idea having the split as it's made it entertaining for all clubs not just top 4. 

Edited by Old school

Hemel withdrew from League 1 in 2018, entered SC, with a view to returning to Lg 1 in 2020.  Just had a look at the SC league table and I see they are 5th, having lost more games than they won.  Anyone know if they still plan to try to get back into League 1 or have they found their level?

2 hours ago, Jasper said:

Hemel withdrew from League 1 in 2018, entered SC, with a view to returning to Lg 1 in 2020.  Just had a look at the SC league table and I see they are 5th, having lost more games than they won.  Anyone know if they still plan to try to get back into League 1 or have they found their level?

I very much doubt they’ll be back in league 1 ever

3 hours ago, kev p said:

Do Cardiff’s results stand? With results awarded? Or record expunged?

Results stand with unplayed games given as 24-0 to the opposition.

16 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I see Cardiff have pulled out. Is that just for the remainder of this season or going forwards too?

Rugby Union season has started now. The other Welsh teams will be weaker now as well.

A very respectable first season at SCL level for the South London Silverbacks with a new coach mid season and having played 10 won 4, drew 1 and lost 5 the future looks bright, very well run club who have only a few union players who have fully committed till end of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/08/2019 at 10:48, DoubleD said:

As the season nears an end, I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are of the first season?

Has it been a success?

What lessons can be learned? 

I know the West division has seen a few games cancelled, which seems particularly a problem in Wales where they rely heavily on union players. Not sure what we can do about that

1. It's been a mixed bag. 

2. Sorta, yes. The West is a mess but that's to be expected because of the Union elephant in the room. The East has been better, not perfect. 

3. Man alive, where to start. More consistent refereeing would be nice. They all ref differently, that's unfortunate but a human trait at least. However, the RFL sent out new rule guidelines mid-season which took the soggy biscuit. You shouldn't be sent off for something in week 7 when others got away with worse in week 3. Same rules all season, please. 

Procedure for postponements has been a mess and personally cost us points. The RFL needs to stop playing favourites essentially. Relief weekends aren't for charity games and friendlies, how the RFL allows clubs to get away with that is beyond me. 

Punishment for referee abuse is now essential. One team are repeat offenders, it needs to stop.

Not sure if the split season works, hopefully the uneven numbers sort themselves out naturally in the coming months.

• Thanks 1

Popped in to this thread as I've totally lost what has been going on with Hemel lately. The heady days of 500-odd at Pennine Way really do seem a long time ago!

Just seen this on the Hemel website - having BJ Swindells as co-coach is a good sign in terms of bringing the club back to its local roots http://hemelstags.com/club_info/latest_news/article/56407/bj--liam-take-charge

Edited by Dr Tim Whatley
  • Like 1

With hindsight, Hemel going semi-pro is a bit like that Jeff Goldblum line in Jurassic Park.  They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.  Was the ride ultimately worth it?  Would it have worked even if they hadn't removed the provisions to keep League 1 as a development league or did that speed up the inevitable?