What’s the story at London Skolars?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

So today Skolars have demolished League 1 leaders Hunslet 42-26 away from home and sit third in the table two points off the top.

What’s the secret? Why are they suddenly so competitive?

Argyle? I mean the minority ownership might be helping....

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Predictable but thought Kayak would get there first! 

How though?

Kman is on his way to lamport, and probably can't respond yet!.

He's got the experience of owning a team that goes up, the funds are helping I believe (they signed what, 5 players in April).  I read an article about success off the pitch (skolars staff learning from the twps social media game).

1 minute ago, TboneFromTO said:

He's got the experience of owning a team that goes up, the funds are helping I believe (they signed what, 5 players in April).  

Two Wigan loanees who were already playing were made permanent loans for the season, plus 2 players from W. Wales and a month's loan from Bradford. Not sure that totally explains the run of form, although Magrin is probably a cut above a lot of players in L1.

5 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

How many Bronco's played today, just asking as I don't know who are Skolars and who are not. 

Broncos have dual reg with Sheffield AFAIK?

Skolars have two players on season-long loan from Wigan, looks like both of them played today.

19 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Argyle? I mean the minority ownership might be helping....

Money’s not arrived yet so not this. 

I would say -

-a great coach whose supported by the owners and given time to build the squad and work things through (it’s only a month ago that people were calling for the coach to go)

-new players who have strengthened the team including from Wigan 

-a confidence  

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Perhaps some decent player payments are now in place meaning more players will regularly commit to both home and away fixtures?

Just to reiterate new fundings not there yet. 

Just now, EssexRL said:

Just to reiterate new fundings not there yet. 

Then it is even more impressive. They are punching well above this year. Would be great if they can be challenging in the play-offs come the end of the summer.

2 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I would say -

-a great coach whose supported by the owners and given time to build the squad and work things through (it’s only a month ago that people were calling for the coach to go)

-a confidence  

It's all Lenegans fault then...

3 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I would say -

-a confidence  

I think, in the long run at least, a small league benefits expansion clubs

When the Argyll money arrives; it could make the difference although the clubs ambition is to build support locally, as well as strengthen the squad. 

17 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I would say -

-a confidence  

How many Londoners/Southerners in the side?

Some good signings by the looks of things. Macani and Magrin (on loan) are experienced at the two levels above, Mullen, Barron and Grant are from Wigan, they’ve signed a couple of northern players from York and Newcastle and a few Antipodeans. 

They desperately needed an injection of quality as last year was very poor for them on the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

How many Londoners/Southerners in the side?

The majority. We have a strong juniors and minis presence. The Wigan players have strengthened the squad but this is a southern squad. 

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Some good signings by the looks of things. Macani and Magrin (on loan) are experienced at the two levels above, Mullen, Barron and Grant are from Wigan, they’ve signed a couple of northern players from York and Newcastle and a few Antipodeans. 

They desperately needed an injection of quality as last year was very poor for them on the pitch. 

You a bit happier now ?

48 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

About what? 

There was a legitimate worry that lessons had not been learnt from last year earlier this year and those fears have been allayed. The second worst defence in the comp is still a worry for Skolars, mind. 

About the coach?

Archived