The Travel Thread

On 02/05/2019 at 20:49, Red Willow said:

Done that cruise too, the Vasser is worth a visit in Sweden, The Hermitage is a bit rushed the winter palace and the peterhof are more relaxed. We caught the train to Rostock when in Germany, in the church there is an amazing clock

Thanks for the advice - funnily enough we had pre-planned the visit to see the recovered sunken ship in Stockholm and the ride to Rostock.

I’m not sure what expect from the Hermitage visit other than we have chosen the excursion there with the most freedom possible.

It seems there is more to do in St Petersburg than we could hope to fit into 2 days.  We have chosen the Hermitage and the Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood with a trip on the river to accommodate my father fitness levels.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Thanks for the advice - funnily enough we had pre-planned the visit to see the recovered sunken ship in Stockholm and the ride to Rostock.

I’m not sure what expect from the Hermitage visit other than we have chosen the excursion there with the most freedom possible.

It seems there is more to do in St Petersburg than we could hope to fit into 2 days.  We have chosen the Hermitage and the Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood with a trip on the river to accommodate my father fitness levels.

The churches in Russia are worth seeing, the over the top decoration is breath taking. I'd try to decide what you want to see in the Hermitage . Wouldn't bother with the Rasputin house, the river trip is worth doing as you can see buildings you would otherwise miss.

On 10/05/2019 at 20:52, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That is a really great story, thanks for that! Let me tell you, its something I've noticed about just about everywhere I've been abroad, the people are always so friendly! 

My second home is Germany. Been to just about every corner. Great history, really relaxed, fantastic people, amazing food, I don't have one bad memory from my many trips to Germany! I suspect most people have one country in particular that they adore. 

The easiest way to understand how tolerant the world is to tourists is how many put up with English folk going there and speaking English to them in their country.

I spent a lot of time in The Hague doing work and I learned virtually no Dutch at all because the locals were so insistent on speaking English that I gave up learning out of laziness.  Same with Germany, I can order beers and thank people, you'd never think I've spent a long time there across the decades.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

The easiest way to understand how tolerant the world is to tourists is how many put up with English folk going there and speaking English to them in their country.

I spent a lot of time in The Hague doing work and I learned virtually no Dutch at all because the locals were so insistent on speaking English that I gave up learning out of laziness.  Same with Germany, I can order beers and thank people, you'd never think I've spent a long time there across the decades.

Ive been teaching myself German on and off for years now and like to think I've got pretty good. I can read German quite well and know enough to get by but when I hear Germans having a conversation I've got no idea! I guess my German sounds absolute tripe to them. We say about foreigners speaking 'pigeon english' but it goes both ways of course.

6 hours ago, ckn said:

In my youth (20's) I made an effort to learn "Two Beers, Please", in 14 languages, just so I could get drunk in almost 90% of the planet, never used Japanese, or Arabic though.

On 14/05/2019 at 10:37, ckn said:

Was on the Greek Island of Paros with a friend who had taught himself Greek. In a restaurant he insisted he would order the meals, in Greek. The waiter Greek looking, taking orders in from Greeks speaking Greek came to our table. Pete set off ordering, the waiter put his hand up to stop him, in a very cockney accent he said "you ain't Greek, I ain't Greek, let's order in fekin English". 

Unperturbed on the next Island we went to he tried again. The Greek waiter just said "order in English it is quicker". 

On the other hand on Samos I was ordering drinks at the hotel in Greek the barman was fine, one day he wasn't working but was at the bar when I asked for some drinks. He went behind the bar and muttered something to the relief barman. When he came back around I asked what was that about. He said "I told him you speak Greek with pronunciation, you are on Greek measures". Every little helps. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 2 months later...

Ive never known an airline try to sell you as much ###### as Jet2. Just checked in with them and before you got to the actual button to press to get your boarding pass you have to go through 6 pages of adverts trying to sell you extras. This is on top of the countless emails they've bombarded me with over the last couple of months trying to sell me the same stuff which they also tried to sell me when I booked the ticket. I can see why the flight was £60 now! In contrast, I have checked into my return flight with easyjet and after id logged into my account I think I literally pressed my mouse 3 times before I had my pass sent to me. 

Next Greek trip is to Tolon on the mainland. Anyone been?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Prague with the missus. 

Includes her birthday, so any place recommended that I can drop her off for pampering?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Les Arnaques Suisses!

Great one today we were traveling using the satnav avoiding tolls and motorways because we're on holiday and not in a hurry etc.

We'd also heard that if you were on motorway when crossing the border you incurred the annual charge for using motorways in Switzerland. We weren't avoiding this but didn't think twice about it cos we weren't on the motorway. And just beforehand the road we'd taken was closed and we were forced to continue on the Motorway!

What a coincidence !

Maybe the UK government should try this for any foreign visitors by car after Brexit "You can have the annual fee/ ticket and it can be used all year, it's not our fault you're only here on holiday!" It's a Tory vision of the New Order.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

54 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Going to Slovakia in September by train - any tips on where to go? I know there are a lot of castles

I went to Slovakia by train a couple of years back during a period of inter-railing. Can't suggest too much cos was only there a couple of days but I would definitely recommend Devin Castle. It is fantastically picturesque sat on a steep hill overlooking the danube. I believe it was destroyed by napoleon's marauding forces. The most iconic part is probably the maidens tower, a turret perched on a thin column of rock separate to the rest of the castle. A great way of getting there is to get the train from Vienna to the town of Devinska Nova Ves (think I spelt that right) then you can easily walk from there to the castle. It is a few miles outside Bratislava. After going there either get the bus (remember to stamp your ticket!) or walk if its a nice day into bratislava and go to the castle there. Bratislava's old town is a classic example of European medieval cities, narrow, cobbled mazes of streets, tightly packed in stone buildings, walls, guard towers and so forth. Fantastic city! Unfortunately it was raining when I was there but still lovely even despite that! 

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I went to Slovakia by train a couple of years back during a period of inter-railing. Can't suggest too much cos was only there a couple of days but I would definitely recommend Devin Castle. It is fantastically picturesque sat on a steep hill overlooking the danube. I believe it was destroyed by napoleon's marauding forces. The most iconic part is probably the maidens tower, a turret perched on a thin column of rock separate to the rest of the castle. A great way of getting there is to get the train from Vienna to the town of Devinska Nova Ves (think I spelt that right) then you can easily walk from there to the castle. It is a few miles outside Bratislava. After going there either get the bus (remember to stamp your ticket!) or walk if its a nice day into bratislava and go to the castle there. Bratislava's old town is a classic example of European medieval cities, narrow, cobbled mazes of streets, tightly packed in stone buildings, walls, guard towers and so forth. Fantastic city! Unfortunately it was raining when I was there but still lovely even despite that! 

Cheers for that, we're overnighting at Vienna so Devin Castle by the method you mentioned is an option. I think we looked at a boat from Bratislava to Devin. The old town will also be on the menu as well as somewhere to get hold of decent Slovakian beer

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

Cheers for that, we're overnighting at Vienna so Devin Castle by the method you mentioned is an option. I think we looked at a boat from Bratislava to Devin. The old town will also be on the menu as well as somewhere to get hold of decent Slovakian beer

When I looked into it before going, boat did seem to be the most popular option of getting to Devin. I went by train cos I was planning on walking through the hills from there to Bratislava but it was chucking it down at the time so I got bus instead, otherwise I probably would have got boat instead.

Are you going all the way from UK by train? As I said, I was inter-railing so it was only about halfway through my trip but my route up to that point was Hull-London-Paris-Heidelberg-Nuremburg-Innsbruck-Salzburg-Vienna. 

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

When I looked into it before going, boat did seem to be the most popular option of getting to Devin. I went by train cos I was planning on walking through the hills from there to Bratislava but it was chucking it down at the time so I got bus instead, otherwise I probably would have got boat instead.

Are you going all the way from UK by train? As I said, I was inter-railing so it was only about halfway through my trip but my route up to that point was Hull-London-Paris-Heidelberg-Nuremburg-Innsbruck-Salzburg-Vienna. 

I'm going Oxenholme-London and meet up with the other half

Then the following morning - London-Brussels-Frankfurt-Munich-Salzburg-Linz

Did think about going all the way to Vienna in the day, but if we stop off at Linz, then the following morning going south into the mountains and over the Semmering Pass to Vienna

The Man in Seat 61 has been very helpful planing this. He recommended Brussels-Prague-Vienna as the cheapest, but it hasn't worked that way. There is so much connectivity between European towns and cities

2 hours ago, shaun mc said:

I'm going Oxenholme-London and meet up with the other half

Then the following morning - London-Brussels-Frankfurt-Munich-Salzburg-Linz

Did think about going all the way to Vienna in the day, but if we stop off at Linz, then the following morning going south into the mountains and over the Semmering Pass to Vienna

The Man in Seat 61 has been very helpful planing this. He recommended Brussels-Prague-Vienna as the cheapest, but it hasn't worked that way. There is so much connectivity between European towns and cities

That sounds like a really great journey! Man in seat 61 is a fantastic resource for people planning long distance journeys. I've done quite a bit of European train travel and pretty much everything I've learned has come from him. Enjoy yourself! 

On 06/08/2019 at 22:24, shaun mc said:

Going to Slovakia in September by train - any tips on where to go? I know there are a lot of castles

I'm going there by train later in the year too (via Italy & Hungary) - interested to see what answers you get. I went to Bratislava for a very short business meeting (~30 mins) last year, had a look round the city for a couple of hours and then did a quick train trip to Vienna for the rest of the day.

Missus and I are in Prague with not a word of Czech. 

I am speaking softly and am embarrassed about requiring everyone to speak my native language. 

My missus is Danish and does not speak Czech. They are Czech and do not speak Danish. Therefore she speaks English loudly at them to be clear with no embarrassment. To her, she is speaking the nearest Europe has to a common language. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I am speaking softly and am embarrassed about requiring everyone to speak my native language. 

My missus is Danish and does not speak Czech. They are Czech and do not speak Danish. Therefore she speaks English loudly at them to be clear with no embarrassment. To her, she is speaking the nearest Europe has to a common language. 

I'm currently in France but will be going into Spain in a couple of days and I've just been practicing the Spanish for "do you speak English?" over and over! Language hasn't been too much of a problem here in France but have hit a brick wall a couple of times. Considering I learned French for years hardly any has actually stuck in. When I go somewhere I tend to learn, hello, goodbye, thank you, please and "do you speak English?" at the very least. I've found people appreciate you knowing even just a little of their language and not just assuming they speak English. Having said that I've never really been anywhere where i have really struggled to find English speakers. I guess this is cos most hotels and museums and what have you that tourists frequent tend to have staff that speak multiple languages anyway. 

5 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Please go and have a spot of lunch at the Opera House. Breathtaking place.

PS

The bars and restaurants around the Jewish Quarter are well worth a visit. Arguably, the best in Prague.

Archived