The Travel Thread

22 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Please go and have a spot of lunch at the Opera House. Breathtaking place.

PS

The bars and restaurants around the Jewish Quarter are well worth a visit. Arguably, the best in Prague.

Thanks, we might take a peak. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/08/2019 at 20:38, getdownmonkeyman said:

Jewish Quarter are well worth a visit. Arguably, the best in Prague.

Often true in other countries too!

I think I'm a travel nerd love hearing where people are, what they found out and what they ate.

On 11/08/2019 at 19:14, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm currently in France but will be going into Spain in a couple of days and I've just been practicing the Spanish for "do you speak English?" over and over! Language hasn't been too much of a problem here in France but have hit a brick wall a couple of times. Considering I learned French for years hardly any has actually stuck in. When I go somewhere I tend to learn, hello, goodbye, thank you, please and "do you speak English?" at the very least. I've found people appreciate you knowing even just a little of their language and not just assuming they speak English. Having said that I've never really been anywhere where i have really struggled to find English speakers. I guess this is cos most hotels and museums and what have you that tourists frequent tend to have staff that speak multiple languages anyway. 

Had to do the same in Switzerland in the German bit anyway always reminds of

"I don't speak the language and all of the anguish that causes me to ask twice
I don't know much but I know that I love the Dutch cuz they don't have to try which is nice
"

Going the length of the Pyrenees tomorrow form the PO to the PA from Muscat to Irouleguy in wine terms. Boot's getting full!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Jeg er ligeglad med dette.

Fair enough.

But, there is a TRL colony in Denmark of increasing size.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

Going the length of the Pyrenees tomorrow form the PO to the PA from Muscat to Irouleguy in wine terms. Boot's getting full!

Crossed over the Pyrenees on the train a few days ago, fantastic scenery! Travelling through the Spanish countryside I've thought the same, very rarely out of site of mountains and just huge, dry, open plains with hardly anyone living there. Sort of reminded me of the kind of landscape you see in a western, was just waiting for Clint to show up!

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Crossed over the Pyrenees on the train a few days ago, fantastic scenery! Travelling through the Spanish countryside I've thought the same, very rarely out of site of mountains and just huge, dry, open plains with hardly anyone living there. Sort of reminded me of the kind of landscape you see in a western, was just waiting for Clint to show up!

Off to Ariege Monday for a week of hiking.

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Sorry quoted you by accident! 

Yeah...no bother....

Just, y'know, got excited for a moment.

image.png.68746f03829226e709b69ceb6f87d120.png

On 11/08/2019 at 20:37, getdownmonkeyman said:

Considering next year’s options. Looks like Japan and Hong Kong are looking favourite. 

Any experiences to offer?

I went to Japan about 8 years ago , for three weeks holiday , luckily for me I was going out with a woman who teaches English to Japanese so that helps with the language barrier, without her it would have been a bit daunting ( language wise ) in this  brilliant City.

You get about easy  train and they are reasonably priced for a ticket  ( try to avoid the rush hour )

Isakayas are a good place to eat and drink , basically they are regarded as Japanese pubs where you just keep ordering small plates of food . i found these places cheap enough and good place to visit.

They do have themed Irish pubs too. great Japanese gardens and Temples to see. and the worlds biggest busiest  Zebra crossing in Tokyo. 

In my opinion is not more expensive than say London or Toronto for that matter. Oh and get a train from the Tokyo airport to the city centre it takes about 45 minutes and you go through some great scenery of paddy fields and countryside. 

This is the best City that I have ever visited and i have seen a few , and it's  certainly the safest, so go for it.

Just one more thing it's more than likely you will sleep on a Futon , which is a bit like sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor , maybe a bit better but hard to get used to.

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 03:57, JohnM said:

I'm in Milton Keynes for 2 nights. Does that count as travel? 

More 'travail' I would think.  (Sorry, I am a late arriver at this thread!)

6 hours ago, hunslet ramone said:

I went to Japan about 8 years ago , for three weeks holiday , luckily for me I was going out with a woman who teaches English to Japanese so that helps with the language barrier, without her it would have been a bit daunting ( language wise ) in this  brilliant City.

You get about easy  train and they are reasonably priced for a ticket  ( try to avoid the rush hour )

Isakayas are a good place to eat and drink , basically they are regarded as Japanese pubs where you just keep ordering small plates of food . i found these places cheap enough and good place to visit.

They do have themed Irish pubs too. great Japanese gardens and Temples to see. and the worlds biggest busiest  Zebra crossing in Tokyo. 

In my opinion is not more expensive than say London or Toronto for that matter. Oh and get a train from the Tokyo airport to the city centre it takes about 45 minutes and you go through some great scenery of paddy fields and countryside. 

This is the best City that I have ever visited and i have seen a few , and it's  certainly the safest, so go for it.

Just one more thing it's more than likely you will sleep on a Futon , which is a bit like sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor , maybe a bit better but hard to get used to.

Or get an airbnb. Get out of Tokyo too. Kyoto is bloody lovely. Sapporo next for me in Japan i reckon.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

23 hours ago, hunslet ramone said:

You mentioned getting round easily on the train but how quickly can you get around as well? I would presume the transport network is very extensive in such a developed and spread out city. 

Also, would you say most of the attractions are in a compact area such as they are in many cities or are they spread out throughout the city and outskirts? 

On 16/08/2019 at 16:43, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Took motorways off and had a brilliant route, in a gite on the middle of the Pays Basque countrside, may put some pictures up you never know.

Wine, piment and cheese for long Brexit winters and eat some fish at the seaside tomorrow.

Has anyone ever been to Gibraltar Airport?

Never been here before, just walked in and looked round, absolutely no signage whatsoever telling you where to go for security so there's a staff member walking past and I ask them, won't go into details of the conversation but basically when I say where is security she basically argues with me in an incredibly condescending tone (might not be important but she had a cockney accent) and ends up basically telling me to f off and go to the information desk if I've got a problem. 

In the end I did find security. You have to go up an escalator that is just jammed in a corner and the only sign says 'departures lounge', no mention of security at all. Don't know about you but when I go to an airport I go through security before getting to the departures lounge so forgive me miserable cockney woman for not knowing where to go!

Update. Just looked at the terminal map on the airport website and it doesn't even mention security on the actual map. Joke airport! 

Second rant. I'm getting fecked off with hotels charging my card without telling me. This has happened twice on this trip. All my hotels I have reserved with a card, fair enough. 4 of them they asked how I would like to pay and I said cash. 2 of them just charged the card I reserved with without even telling me. £150 just been charged to my card at some point in the last couple days. Its lucky I had the funds on the card or I could be overdrawn for ages without even realising. Only reason I had the funds on there as well was because the other hotel had done that so I'd quickly transferred some over from a different account otherwise I would be in the red now. I don't even mind if they don't ask but at least tell me you're gonna do this so I can have the funds ready! 

Ps. Lucky I had drawn 150 euros out of the bank in anticipation for paying for this hotel or I would be lumbered with it. Would have had to gone to airport and had it changed at a rubbish rate and lost some money. If I could find the facilities to do that in this awful airport!

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Has anyone ever been to Gibraltar Airport?

Never been here before, just walked in and looked round, absolutely no signage whatsoever telling you where to go for security so there's a staff member walking past and I ask them, won't go into details of the conversation but basically when I say where is security she basically argues with me in an incredibly condescending tone (might not be important but she had a cockney accent) and ends up basically telling me to f off and go to the information desk if I've got a problem. 

In the end I did find security. You have to go up an escalator that is just jammed in a corner and the only sign says 'departures lounge', no mention of security at all. Don't know about you but when I go to an airport I go through security before getting to the departures lounge so forgive me miserable cockney woman for not knowing where to go!

Update. Just looked at the terminal map on the airport website and it doesn't even mention security on the actual map. Joke airport! 

Been there a few times.  Long time ago mind you.  It was never the biggest or slickest operation in the world.

Though I always go to 'departures' rather than 'security'.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Second rant. I'm getting fecked off with hotels charging my card without telling me. This has happened twice on this trip. All my hotels I have reserved with a card, fair enough. 4 of them they asked how I would like to pay and I said cash. 2 of them just charged the card I reserved with without even telling me. £150 just been charged to my card at some point in the last couple days. Its lucky I had the funds on the card or I could be overdrawn for ages without even realising. Only reason I had the funds on there as well was because the other hotel had done that so I'd quickly transferred some over from a different account otherwise I would be in the red now. I don't even mind if they don't ask but at least tell me you're gonna do this so I can have the funds ready! 

Ps. Lucky I had drawn 150 euros out of the bank in anticipation for paying for this hotel or I would be lumbered with it. Would have had to gone to airport and had it changed at a rubbish rate and lost some money. If I could find the facilities to do that in this awful airport!

It will be a security deposit.  Its a pain in the bum if you aren't expecting to, or have a tight budget!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

16 hours ago, Oxford said:

Took motorways off and had a brilliant route, in a gite on the middle of the Pays Basque countrside, may put some pictures up you never know.

Wine, piment and cheese for long Brexit winters and eat some fish at the seaside tomorrow.

Love the Pyrenees - not as dramatic as the Alps, but great walking. Hope to do the full GR10 or GR11 one day. The HRP might be a bit too extreme

Always go to the seaside for a day or 2 after walking - St Jean De Luz in the west Colliure in the east are great places

2 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Love the Pyrenees - not as dramatic as the Alps, but great walking. Hope to do the full GR10 or GR11 one day. The HRP might be a bit too extreme

Always go to the seaside for a day or 2 after walking - St Jean De Luz in the west Colliure in the east are great places

The book I mentioned is all about walking the GR10. The author did it over three years.

5 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

The book I mentioned is all about walking the GR10. The author did it over three years.

A few years ago I stayed in Bareges with an English couple who had walked the GR10, continuously over about 50-ish days after leaving college. They loved the area so much they never really went back home

17 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

You mentioned getting round easily on the train but how quickly can you get around as well? I would presume the transport network is very extensive in such a developed and spread out city. 

Also, would you say most of the attractions are in a compact area such as they are in many cities or are they spread out throughout the city and outskirts? 

The trains are brilliant and quick, but the stations are that big, you can be walking for ages just to get out. Research your stations!

Stay in Shibuya or Shinjuku and you can do most touristy stuff in 3 or 4 days. Just be prepared to walk. I always like to get deliberately lost around the main stations. Walk in the general direction from Shibuya through parks etc. Love the non touristy stuff. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

On 01/05/2019 at 14:02, wilsontown said:

Austin is an island of sanity in the ocean of lunacy that is Texas.

I'd say the same about Slough but that could just be at our house!

Archived