The Travel Thread

18 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

You mentioned getting round easily on the train but how quickly can you get around as well? I would presume the transport network is very extensive in such a developed and spread out city. 

Also, would you say most of the attractions are in a compact area such as they are in many cities or are they spread out throughout the city and outskirts? 

You get around very quick on their trains , and you don't seem to wait more than 5 minutes either. i would say they are spread out , but as I said it's so easy just changing trains there as no waiting about for them

. The Tokyo Zoo is a good attraction too , that's not central Tokyo , but still not hard to get to with their train system.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/08/2019 at 03:28, MattSantos said:

Or get an airbnb. Get out of Tokyo too. Kyoto is bloody lovely. Sapporo next for me in Japan i reckon.

Yes this sounds good Matt as well. Never went on the bullet train , but seen it go by at speed , of which i was told it's going slow as it's moving in the City it goes miles faster out of Tokyo City never seen a train move as fast as that did , it's expensive though to go on it , but their trains were very reasonable , cheaper than ours , but that goes without saying.

Went to buy some Irouleguy for the first time in several decades at the Cave D'Irouleguy. It was as different as worlds can be from the last time, The first occasion it was all men serving who looked like they'd just come in from the vines and were disagreeably Gauloise to the centimetre. Now it looks like an operating theater and is full of smiling helpful women. Is it an improvement ? No it's progress.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I have to admit I'm disappointed with the Pays Basque.

It seems overcrowded everywhere except in the middle of nowhere and tourist tat everywhere. The restaurants outside the mian towns only seem to do a menu with one thing on it and this has led to us being lunchtime pilgrims.

The scenery is beautiful though  and the local people seem great

Still Britainy to come yet so I live in hope.

24 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I have to admit I'm disappointed with the Pays Basque.

It seems overcrowded everywhere except in the middle of nowhere and tourist tat everywhere. The restaurants outside the mian towns only seem to do a menu with one thing on it and this has led to us being lunchtime pilgrims.

The scenery is beautiful though  and the local people seem great

Still Britainy to come yet so I live in hope.

What is the one thing that's on the menu?? 

13 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What is the one thing that's on the menu?? 

Something our restrictions means we can't eat !

Won't bore you with details.

All we need is choice to get it sorted.

I should say the menus are good value and will almost certainly be well cooked. So if you can eat them it more authentic than than a burger or Pizza.

• 3 weeks later...

Sailed through the Corinth Canel last week.  Twas good.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• 3 months later...

For me, I’m planning a month long solo trip to India — it’s always been on my list of places to visit on my own and take it all that it has to offer.

The thing I love about travel is not only are you exposed to a totally different culture (the food, language, art, people, history etc.), but you are forced out of your comfort zone. This is great for a recovering control freak like me. I had to let go and surrender my controlling tendencies. I have been all over the world but the best beaches I have seen so far were all in Greece. The water is so blue that you think it’s a swimming pool! Greek people are welcoming, warmhearted people.  Even in Athens the people have always been so good to me. Last summer I stayed in an apartment and the owner welcomed us with a home baked cake from his grandmother. Have just booked a week in Thessaloniki for beginning of March. Gonna rent a car in Greece and explore the city. And also food here is ten times better and healthier not only because recipes have been perfected over time, by generations of Greek families, but because Greek food is based on fresh products.  

Off to Sintra in Portugal with work in January.  Hopefully I'll have time to look around.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Off to Sintra in Portugal with work in January.  Hopefully I'll have time to look around.  

Always find Portugal a strange place. As Western Europe as it comes but the place is the closest to Latin American third world feel as anywhere I've seen.... Beautiful old buildings and statues but crumbling

4 hours ago, Moralgy said:

For me, I’m planning a month long solo trip to India — it’s always been on my list of places to visit on my own and take it all that it has to offer.

Me and the missus love India. We've only been to Goa but its fantastic, great people. I'd recommend a trip to dhudsagar falls. My parents went to India every year for about 8 years until my mum became to ill to travel. They went to Mumbai and Mapsa among other places. My mum (god rest her) described India as "paradise in a wheelie bin", it really is a lovely and beautiful country.

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Always find Portugal a strange place. As Western Europe as it comes but the place is the closest to Latin American third world feel as anywhere I've seen.... Beautiful old buildings and statues but crumbling

I've always thought Portugal strange in how cut off it is from the rest of Europe. Obviously cos its at the end of the iberian peninsula it's a place you have to be specifically going to rather than just passing through but it's odd how it's never been better connected to Spain. There is an overnight sleeper train to Madrid which is the only direct train between Lisbon and Madrid or during the daytime you have to take a convoluted series of local trains which takes about 14 hours I believe. There are no train connections to southern Spain so I believe you have to get a bus from Lisbon/Faro to Sevilla. Just strange that a direct high-speed line hasn't been built between two of Europe's major capitals. 

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've always thought Portugal strange in how cut off it is from the rest of Europe. Obviously cos its at the end of the iberian peninsula it's a place you have to be specifically going to rather than just passing through but it's odd how it's never been better connected to Spain. There is an overnight sleeper train to Madrid which is the only direct train between Lisbon and Madrid or during the daytime you have to take a convoluted series of local trains which takes about 14 hours I believe. There are no train connections to southern Spain so I believe you have to get a bus from Lisbon/Faro to Sevilla. Just strange that a direct high-speed line hasn't been built between two of Europe's major capitals. 

Yes, I guess it's isolated and always been towards the periphery both geographically and economically in W. Europe. Amazing the EU hasnt funded a HS line before

We used to have a lot of immigrant Portuguese in a factory I had when working as a student - lovely people but many tales if very poor pay back home. Similar to some Eastern European people now I guess. Though I think various previously Easter block countries have passed it economically now

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yes, I guess it's isolated and always been towards the periphery both geographically and economically in W. Europe. Amazing the EU hasnt funded a HS line before

We used to have a lot of immigrant Portuguese in a factory I had when working as a student - lovely people but many tales if very poor pay back home. Similar to some Eastern European people now I guess. Though I think various previously Easter block countries have passed it economically now

I don't know masses about the fascist era of Portugal under Salazar but I do know that Franco never invested much into the railways so while Spain has one of the longest high speed networks in the world, the older railways have always been really poorly maintained and connected. I went on a train from Madrid to algeciras last summer and its a hybrid that runs on high speed lines for a few hours then goes into a shed and has its bogeys changed to iberian gauge to run on local lines. On the high speed lines the train is doing 130mph and on the local it was doing about 40mph which gives an idea of the quality of the older infrastructure. I don't know if this is the same situation in Portugal and thus why the two countries have never been extensively connected up. 

Archived