Bradford chairman claims Catalans is costing UK game millions of £

19 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The point being made is some clubs will travel to Toronto whilst others have played the away fixture here.

That point is about as big and has the same level of significance as this point (.)

I know that you will be glad to hear that Lamport Stadium is getting a big brand new scoreboard/clock in 4 weeks....breaking news from me to you...I know...I KNOW...ITS OKAY!

I knew you would appreciate it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

The City? Why wasn't it installed preseason? or  6 weeks ago when the weather was fine.

Scoreboard's outside the dome and inaccessible in winter.

And 6 weeks ago it was still winter.

yee gawds you'd think they had to cross the Atlantic in a galley players rowing and management beating a drum to keep time.

Air Transat is not Cathay Pacific or Emirates but its a pretty comfy 7 or so hours, fed and watered while watching a movie.

I used to travel constantly for work in planes all the time  its called the modern age not the middle ages. 

25 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Who do you think is paying for it?...careful now.

The Wolfpack I imagine. I can't see the city ponying up for it, and if TWP put it up they've probably got some sort of deal for advertising rights on it. Think of all the Wolfpack ads they'll be running during Toronto Arrow games.

8 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

The Wolfpack I imagine. I can't see the city ponying up for it, and if TWP put it up they've probably got some sort of deal for advertising rights on it. Think of all the Wolfpack ads they'll be running during Toronto Arrow games.

No prob. The Arrows are based out of Toronto, the Pack are based in Toronto.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

13 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

yee gawds you'd think they had to cross the Atlantic in a galley players rowing and management beating a drum to keep time.

Air Transat is not Cathay Pacific or Emirates but its a pretty comfy 7 or so hours, fed and watered while watching a movie.

I used to travel constantly for work in planes all the time  its called the modern age not the middle ages. 

And don't forget the lash...those poor players. Here is a clip of the Bradfords Chairman talking to his players enroute to Toronto...the Bulls are all condemned men...they are more like veal calves being brought to the slaughter at Lamport!

17 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

No prob. The Arrows are based out of Toronto, the Pack are based in Toronto.

Starting this weekend the Arrows play 4 of their last 5 games at Lamport.

Toronto represents a choice about the future of the sport but that doesn't make it logically a choice between clubs.

I know that's the narrative or agenda of some posters and when brought up, discussed, but that still only makes it one possible outcome at best.

Even if it seems unfair if some have to travel to TWP I can't help but contrast with the management at clubs like Swinton who seem to have embraced the idea.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

53 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

They need to move to BMO field asap..

Worst thing they could do. It’s the intimate unique atmosphere with the beer garden which is attracting people right now.

If anything they should be working together with the Arrows to try and convince the City of Toronto that Lamport stadium is worth developing for the long term future of rugby in the city. 

I don’t think it would cost the earth to turn Lamport into a quality stadium of 15k capacity with some corporate boxes. 

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

Once the brand makes £40 million that option will become available. Until then summer RL in Toronto will survice, just not in SL.

Have another crack at writing that so it makes sense..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Wow, the Katie Hopkins of rugby league indeed!

I've read the full article, I notice he's moaning about tackled players standing over someone and playing the ball into them. Every club does it, but I've never seen a player do it more than his very own Jake Webster. Strange how Jake, who I've always considered a very fair player rarely did that while at Cas. Coached into him perhaps?

Benoans Rochdale for being ranked 12th in the financial distribution table, 1 place above Bradford who 'won promotion fair and square'. Anyone know where I can see this table? Wouldn't mind seeing where York rank.

I recall digs at Sheffield, Workington amongst others in the past. 

Did Chalmers ever get in touch with the disabled chap from Feb who wrote into the a League Express who was treated disgracefully at Odsal? Or how about the matchday programme collector who a couple of seasons ago sent a cheque to the Bulls to purchase a previous programme, cheque cashed by the club, nothing received, no replies to emails.

Whether he has a point about Toronto and Catalans or not, he's fast becoming another who is largely ignored because he has no way of articulating his opinions in a way that's not whining (see M.Koucash) and should address the issues closer to home at Odsal. Oh and while he's at it, try not to price juniors out of the game...£91 to stand for the season or £137 to sit when it's free at plenty other clubs is a joke.

9 hours ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

The incongruity of TWP playing early 'home' games in the UK (not Toronto's fault, but that of RFL inflexibility) is an understandable concern. The rest, less so. In fact, it's barking.

If, say, you play Catalans twice a year on a home and away basis, that means you only have to travel once. What a dreadful inconvenience. If, it follows, your concern is a lack of away support, you need to take a long hard look at yourself for relying on such as part of your business model.

If any club relies upon travelling fans to fill its stadium it is basically the living dead.

I hope you're attaching that notion (which I totally agree with by the way) to the Bradford chairman. He might (ok... does) talk a lot of twaddle in his column, but he's never said that we rely on away supporters

Au contraire, in fact, whilst we rarely see anything more than a minibus load of away fans at Odsal, we routinely give the other clubs in our league their best gate of the season - as a result of our travelling support

Indeed, you could argue that the admittedly steep entrance prices at Odsal are an admission that we won't be relying on 'walk ups' at Odsal as part of the clubs business model, and instead base the projection for the season on a large proportion of home supporters buying season tickets. 

1 hour ago, Bcfc2014 said:

I wouldn't worry this poster joined a week ago and hasn't had anything positive to post about Bradford, has even suggested financial issues with no actual evidence.

I just wondered if it was a Fax fan, and Mum had bought him his first computer. I remember that idealism of youth and the need to change the world. 

“A sunshine weekend away for supporters to fill the coffers of the Perpignan’s hoteliers and restaurateurs?

“Hardly looks like smart business from a British Rugby League perspective. Hoping the problem goes away isn’t a resolution.”

Yes, because the money I spend on my Ryanair flight and my hotel in Perpignan was definitely money that I would have spent in an RL club shop. ?

35 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Yes, because the money I spend on my Ryanair flight and my hotel in Perpignan was definitely money that I would have spent in an RL club shop. ?

What! You don't spend a weekend holiday in Bradford city centre!?

Well, it seems that Mr Chalmers was a big fan of Toronto in January...

The clubs also played each other in a friendly last year, with Bulls chairman Andrew Chalmers an advocate of their impact on rugby league.

He said: “The enthusiasm that David Argyle has instilled into the club has given the sport a much-needed lift.

"His endeavours to grow rugby league in Canada has and will continue to benefit all of us. This season will see us play in the same division as the Toronto Wolfpack for the first time.

"We know they’ll be tough encounters, but with the squad John Kear has put together we’ll be challenging them for promotion at the end of the year.”

Telegraph & Argus 7/1

Wonder what changed his view? 

Archived