Sub 13,000 tickets for MW sold

So according to reports on twitter there has been less then 13,000 tickets sold for magic weekend. If true this is a huge worry. 

............ On the other hand the figure has been released by no other then Mick Gledhill during another anti Elstone rant so the chances of this being accurate is well...... Low. 

Anyone else know figures? 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a serious note what is the magic weekend even for anymore? Other than an easy money spinner because they know the usual crowd will turn up.

I’d sooner have 4 big games on one day and actually pack out a stadium with no tickets left. 

Wakefield v Cas

Leeds v Warrington

FC v KR

Wigan V Saints

Sell it out and create a highly successful one day event.

At the moment it’s just a moderately successful 2 day event for which the novelty is dying out. 

I’ve been to every single magic weekend and it would be miles better if the stadium was actually full for a day. 

53 minutes ago, Cdd said:

On a serious note what is the magic weekend even for anymore? Other than an easy money spinner because they know the usual crowd will turn up.

I’d sooner have 4 big games on one day and actually pack out a stadium with no tickets left. 

Wakefield v Cas

Leeds v Warrington

FC v KR

Wigan V Saints

Sell it out and create a highly successful one day event.

At the moment it’s just a moderately successful 2 day event for which the novelty is dying out. 

I’ve been to every single magic weekend and it would be miles better if the stadium was actually full for a day. 

Is it a money spinner? I thought clubs actually lose on the event 

It's a TV event in the main. Sky turn over a channel for an entire weekend to rugby league, something they'll only do if it's in one place with one extended crew. 

It captures passing eyeballs - normally we're stuck away on weekday evenings - and generally gives us a presentation of rugby league in a big stadium in a big city, something we don't normally have. The only alternative is to not have that. As long as we're at least breaking even, which it does, why think about ditching it? 

I think what you also can't forget about magic weekend is that for many of the players playing this is their biggest stage. If you're not playing for England, or in a team that reaches Old Trafford or Wembley regularly, there's a good chance this is the largest, most prestigious stadium and crowd you will play in front of this season. Same for the fans of those clubs.

16 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Mick Gledhill is a buffoon so I’d not take notice of him. 

But the thread title is out there now, and all the usual prophets of doom will be drawn to make the usual comments on it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, TheConductor said:

Why don't

What makes you think the Championship clubs would want to be involved in a 9s competition right in the middle of their season ? , We have our ' day in the sun ' at Blackpool , when just like the ' Magic ' for SL , league points are at stake 

Not a fan of the event, never been and never will.

This though is entirely the wrong venue. It takes ages to walk from Anfield to the city centre and the idea of going out of the stadium into the city centre and back again is a non starter. I was told by many who went how good Newcastle was due to it being close to/in the city centre.

Newcastle very good, cancelled.

Bolton with double bill semi final, excellent, now cancelled.

54 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Bolton with double bill semi final, excellent, now cancelled.

I thought we were going back to Bolton? I may be wrong but I'm sure I read that it was on again.

That was my favourite day out of 2018 ?

Not feeling the love for Magic this year. 

If Super League can attract a sponsor offering significant prize money, I’d switch it to a midseason 9s tournament.

If they can’t get a decent sponsor, I’d still switch it to 9s then offer some other reward, like an extra marquee player allowance or raised salary cap for the winner.

36 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not feeling the love for Magic this year. 

If Super League can attract a sponsor offering significant prize money, I’d switch it to a midseason 9s tournament.

If they can’t get a decent sponsor, I’d still switch it to 9s then offer some other reward, like an extra marquee player allowance or raised salary cap for the winner.

Why so you can try for freebies and then not bother to go a mid season 9s is an awful idea.

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I will never see the attraction in 9s other than a pre-season sideshow which, in this country at least, is less than useless. 

It could be a really good event to attract a new audience to rugby league in the football off-season but it would need the right backing and, yes, marketing.

I’m thinking an early summer rugby league Spring Bank holiday festival with some decent bands  (hello, Simon Moran!). 

Archived