Sub 13,000 tickets for MW sold

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why we need to overthink things. Why does everything need to have a state purpose. It is an event in major grounds that don't normally see RL, often in cities that don't see much RL.

If you find it enjoyable, go and have a good time. If not, don't.

On 30/04/2019 at 03:24, LeeF said:

A fair assumption although I wonde how they actually make money on the event

I also wonder if it is part of the TV contract

That for me is the value of the event we’ll sell 6 games to Sky and they have just one set up cost. It will definitely be factored into the tv deal. 

Saints have also confirmed that their sales for Magic have surpassed last year. With Warrington confirming this too, I suspect that the sub-13,000 figure may have been plucked out of thin air.

Realistically, we'll probably get a similar attendance that we've always have for Magic, with an aggregate in the 60,000's.

4 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

sales are approaching 30k not 13k, somebody mis heard that's all. RFL expecting a complete sell out on the Sunday as LFC are doing a big fans promo and will have there silverware on show

If they have sold 30k its currently a drop of 34,319 compared to 2018. Even if another 10k attended still a massive drop of around 24k. Very poor decision to go Liverpool.

On 29/04/2019 at 20:01, Father Ted said:

Not a fan of the event, never been and never will.

This though is entirely the wrong venue. It takes ages to walk from Anfield to the city centre and the idea of going out of the stadium into the city centre and back again is a non starter. I was told by many who went how good Newcastle was due to it being close to/in the city centre.

Newcastle very good, cancelled.

Bolton with double bill semi final, excellent, now cancelled.

I think dodging Bolton is a blessing as the situation there sounds very RL..

The footy games are postponed due to players not getting paid

Club insolvent..  dodgy takeover bids

Games threatened to be played behind closed doors as stadium staff on strike 

Etc.....

10 minutes ago, Bcfc2014 said:

If they have sold 30k its currently a drop of 34,319 compared to 2018. Even if another 10k attended still a massive drop of around 24k. Very poor decision to go Liverpool.

My thoughts would be how many locals in Newcastle Manchester Cardiff etc went the games.. these won't go to Liverpool and any locals to liverpool (including Widnes st helens etc) would have gone to Newcastle and Liverpool but therefore would reduce the crowds.

Anfield is poorly situated with poor transport links to city centre and hotels. Also the cost of hotels in Liverpool is extortionate! 

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure why we need to overthink things. Why does everything need to have a state purpose. It is an event in major grounds that don't normally see RL, often in cities that don't see much RL.

Enjoy, have a good time?

Heretic!

Witch!

To the Ducking Stool!

I enjoy going to see a match of RL anywhere, any place, any time!

I know it's the best sport in the world and that there are far more good things about it than bad ones.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

My thoughts would be how many locals in Newcastle Manchester Cardiff etc went the games.. these won't go to Liverpool and any locals to liverpool (including Widnes st helens etc) would have gone to Newcastle and Liverpool but therefore would reduce the crowds.

Anfield is poorly situated with poor transport links to city centre and hotels. Also the cost of hotels in Liverpool is extortionate! 

Sorry I don't agree, normally there are 3 of us who go for the whole weekend however this year there are 9 of us going for the whole weekend because it's closer to home. 

14 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

sales are approaching 30k not 13k, somebody mis heard that's all. RFL expecting a complete sell out on the Sunday as LFC are doing a big fans promo and will have there silverware on show

Thread title should be changed really because it is utter nonsense.

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

Poor transport links? Not in my experience. 

10 hours ago, TheConductor said:

Maybe a tour de UK in Rugby 7's with both League and Union ?

oh dear lord no :kolobok_suicide:

22 minutes ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Thread title should be changed really because it is utter nonsense.

Absolutely,yet another deliberately false,inaccurate and deliberately misleading title being promoted by Total rl ,who claim to support rl.No doubt you are proud of yourselves for supporting free speech however much damage it attempts to do to rl.

15 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

What Silverware????

16 hours ago, Dave T said:

Completely agree. It seems as if people are determined to put this "expansion" objective on Magic Weekend as some kind of stick to beat it with. It's as if MW must be a failure because we don't have SL teams in Cardiff, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Manchester. 

Why can't we just see MW as a good event that makes money? 

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:03, Leeds Wire said:

I disagree.  I went to Cardiff, Edinburgh and Newcastle for the experience of being somewhere new for a weekend away, mixing with fans of all clubs. Liverpool is a very short train ride away and holds little interest as a "mini-break" style destination for people from Warrington. The fact that most Wire fans won't stay over and make a weekend of it also devalues it for me.

We need to revisit the whole concept and ask ourselves what its purpose is now.

I think on the face of it that's maybe true. Yet our experience at the Etihad was fantastic - I just think it needs to be sold as a nice weekend. 

23 hours ago, Celt said:

According to one (at least?) poster on here, the lack of a nearby caravan park will decimate the attendence.

An aspirational event for ABC1 consumers.

If that's me you're talking about then you're exaggerating my words and not getting the point I was trying to make. Listen to people around you, people want a magic weekend that is in an area where you can make a mini break of it. If it's only 2 points on offer then it is no different to any other game every week. My comment that your exagerating is that where I stayed in newcastle made for really good weekend. Most people will not want to stay in Liverpool for the weekend. 

And now we are a few weeks away from the weekend. Look on the social media sites and read what hundreds of comments are saying. There is no appetite for the magic to be at Liverpool. Almost everyone is saying it should still be in Newcastle due the pubs, location etc and due to it being a weekend away for them. 

2 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I might nip across to watch the Salford game and then come straight home again.

And here is the issue with in being in Liverpool.

It doesn't really work for a 'special event weekend' for it to be in a place just down the road. It  needs to be in a place where its worth going for the whole weekend. Cardiff, Edinburgh, even Newcastle ticked that box - Manchester or Liverpool just encourage people going only for their game (especially when the tickets are dirt cheap)

What's probably going to happen this year is that the attendance will be announced, with a great fanfare, as being 60K, but there's only going to be about 10K in the stadium most of the time, which is going to look awful on TV.

14 hours ago, JohnM said:

Poor transport links? Not in my experience. 

Walking distance? (Newcastle, Cardiff)

Tram link? (manchester)

Underground train network (London)

Liverpool ... none of the above

What counted to me is how quick and easy is it to get from the city centre to the ground and back and in my experience Liverpool scores highly. After all, London has no tram link, Newcastle has no underground, etc. 

What has been your experience of Liverpool? 

Archived