UK Three Division Attendances 2019

How are the three divisions going?

SL is averaging 8,400, with Hull FC on top at present from Wigan. The average is about the same as 2018 and considering London Broncos arriving with low numbers, a good result.

Championship is on 2,300, up quite a bit on a year ago with Widnes leading Toronto. This is a vibrant looking division in 2019. 

League 1 is on 670, down on last year with Workington in the lead from Newcastle. I enjoy following the games here but it does need a few more teams. 

All three divisions are covered in greater depth here: https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Great attendances in the championship. 

Super league isn’t doing well compared to most clubs potential, at Wigan we’ve averaged over 16k in the past, Leeds have been 17k.

If every club was averaging their potential or previous highest and London and Salford were replaced with Bradford and Toronto I think super league could average around the 12k mark. That should be the aim. 

Leeds crowds have been significantly impacted by the Stadium works.  As more of the venue is re-opened, Super League will get a nice boost off the back of that.

Most encouraging for the Super League crowds is how many teams are currently up YOY (St Helens, Hull FC, Hull KR, Warrington, Catalans, Castleford, Wigan, Wakefield, Salford) with Warrington and Salford enjoying arguably the biggest uplifts.

Still, there is a long way to go.... we arguably need for the likes of Wigan, Warrington, Saints, Leeds, Hull FC and Catalans to help keep dragging the average up... Camp Nuo should help give a bit of a boost and see Catalans finish the season for the first time with double figure average.

For the Championship, most encouragingly is that clubs like Toronto, will only help pull that average up more as the season goes on.  

The growth both Newcastle & Workington have had in L1 is also very impressive.  Considering all the clubs with a greater than 1K+ average were promoted, to see the two of them stepping up is very encouraging.  

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

36 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

League 1 figures last year will have been distorted by Bradford spending a season visiting their poor relations, as was 2017 by Toronto (oh God, I'm going to set Parky off - sorry).

Each year has its unique situation. Comparing a club from season to season is interesting. Many are doing OK. 

Thanks for posting. Interesting. Good to see Sheffield building attendances steadily over the seasons. Plaudits to Keighley too and Newcastle  

Has Rochdale ever been well supported or is it like their football team, they lose out to bigger nearby clubs? 

11 hours ago, RayCee said:

Championship is on 2,300, up quite a bit on a year ago with Widnes leading Toronto. This is a vibrant looking division in 2019. 

Toronto's figure is greatly distorted by the 3 "home" games played in the UK. By the end of the season the Toronto number will be more than the SL average, I expect. It is an exciting division this year!

9 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

League 1 figures last year will have been distorted by Bradford spending a season visiting their poor relations, as was 2017 by Toronto (oh God, I'm going to set Parky off - sorry).

Also York City Knights not only had a big home following, they had a big contingent of travelling fans. This would have helped to boost League 1 averages. So much so that when they visited my local team there were probably more York fans than locals! York City Knights ⚔️ A club that is going places, and the new stadium coming on nicely too.

12 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

Also York City Knights not only had a big home following, they had a big contingent of travelling fans. This would have helped to boost League 1 averages. So much so that when they visited my local team there were probably more York fans than locals! York City Knights ⚔️ A club that is going places, and the new stadium coming on nicely too.

And it’s a big place with a large population compared to most RL towns. They’ve also got no big football club on their doorstep to compete with.

A club thriving in a place like York is a huge plus for the game in the UK. Massively improves our image.

8 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Thanks for posting. Interesting. Good to see Sheffield building attendances steadily over the seasons. Plaudits to Keighley too and Newcastle  

Has Rochdale ever been well supported or is it like their football team, they lose out to bigger nearby clubs? 

I don't have much on that but in 1990-91 when they had a brief moment in the top flight, they averaged 2,600 for that season. 

27 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Sorry if this is a bit daft but where do I find attendance figures each week?

There is one here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_League_XXIV_results

Thanks for the link Ray.  

I always tell students that Wikipedia is not a valid academic source and should never be cited, but I'm guessing that whoever does that page isn't making stuff up.

I wonder where they get their official info from? It seems a bit weird that there's no official announcement of attendances.

Great work, thanks for compiling it all!  I will keep an eye on your blog from now on!

It's encouraging to see some teams like;  Newcastle, Toulouse and Sheffield, maintaining steady growth over the last 3 seasons.  I hope it continues for the remainder of the season and for seasons to come.

19 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Thanks for the link Ray.  

I always tell students that Wikipedia is not a valid academic source and should never be cited, but I'm guessing that whoever does that page isn't making stuff up.

I wonder where they get their official info from? It seems a bit weird that there's no official announcement of attendances.

I agree Wiki isn't always kosher, but the one putting this data together seems to be diligent in being as accurate as possible. If for some reason there is a figure or two missing, I scout around the Internet and usually find the number in an article on the game or from a club website. I then add what I found. 

Interesting that Widnes' attendance is virtually the same despite their demotion to the Championship and subsequent problems there.

Can TWP average 9000/game this year?

16 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Interesting that Widnes' attendance is virtually the same despite their demotion to the Championship and subsequent problems there.

Can TWP average 9000/game this year?

Shows their lack of being able to drag in some floating support when in SL and relying on the ultras!

Really happy to see some strong figures in the lower divisions and the championship seems to be a very popular and interesting league this year. I know it’s a reach but does anyone have the figures for other countries - I’ve always been intrested in knowing how well elite one does in France and the domestic comp in New Zealand.

23 hours ago, HKRRL said:

Really happy to see some strong figures in the lower divisions and the championship seems to be a very popular and interesting league this year. I know it’s a reach but does anyone have the figures for other countries - I’ve always been intrested in knowing how well elite one does in France and the domestic comp in New Zealand.

Apart form a limited national comp, the NZ game consists of club competitions in cities and towns. I think over the years, the number of people going along has dropped but how much I wouldn't be able to quantify. Once the Warriors arrived, it took much of the spotlight off the rest of RL.

Others would be better placed to say what's the situation in France although I have read comments here that it is lower than in years gone by.

Archived