Derek Beaumont please crawl back under the rock you came from

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Damien said:

Well the Leigh fans on here mustn't be representative of the Leigh fans on the terrace. If that is indeed the case which seems a bit a hard to judge unless you've asked them all. The Leigh fans on here are generally very anti Toronto.

Obviously I haven't asked them all damien,so you are quite correct,it would be hard to judge,so don't.

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

End of 2014 

Very buisnessman of him - can't buy em? Gut em!  Basically a hostile take over! Sad for Leigh fans (was good for me though as a twp fan)

10 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Very buisnessman of him - can't buy em? Gut em!  Basically a hostile take over! Sad for Leigh fans (was good for me though as a twp fan)

Only guessing here but given we were talking NA sport here and given the recent actions involving Hemel and OttAwa by Mr Perez , the conclusion would be that Leigh had just beaten Fev in the Championship GF in the last season of licencing , therefore being essentially the strongest club outside SL , an Argyle financed Leigh could have got promoted to SL in 2015 and played a couple of ' on the road ' games at Lamport , before the ' Franchise ' got moved to Toronto , reapplying Leigh to join League 1 as Toronto's DR partner club and UK base 

25 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Not necessarily , you could have been in SL by 2016/7 

Well that’s your slant on it Scotchy. He said he text one of the wolf pack players after the game who confirmed the numbers were way off. He also said capacity at Lamport was 9600 and it definitely was not capacity, this was agreed upon by Peet & Carter.

Both Beaumont & Carter stated they have no issue with expansion however we should see how Toronto go in SL before fast tracking 2 more North American sides in.

They also confirmed the 4 young English coaches sacked within 1 week of each other (Marshall, Pryce, etc) were all likely panic moves by clubs worried about competing with the 2 new clubs next year.

They also stated they wanted to know how far it had been thought through by the RFL and from a player pool perspective and Dave Peet confirmed these new clubs would be drawing on UK players which would inflate salaries.

Essentially for all this to work there needs to be mandatory reserves.

Carter & Beaumont know more about the internal mechanics of the sport and all the challenges/politics that go with it, than you or I ever will and I think they should be respected for it.

2 minutes ago, binosh said:

Well that’s your slant on it Scotchy. He said he text one of the wolf pack players after the game who confirmed the numbers were way off. He also said capacity at Lamport was 9600 and it definitely was not capacity, this was agreed upon by Peet & Carter.

Both Beaumont & Carter stated they have no issue with expansion however we should see how Toronto go in SL before fast tracking 2 more North American sides in.

They also confirmed the 4 young English coaches sacked within 1 week of each other (Marshall, Pryce, etc) were all likely panic moves by clubs worried about competing with the 2 new clubs next year.

They also stated they wanted to know how far it had been thought through by the RFL and from a player pool perspective and Dave Peet confirmed these new clubs would be drawing on UK players which would inflate salaries.

Carter & Beaumont know more about the internal mechanics of the sport and all the challenges/politics that go with it, than you or I ever will and I think they should be respected for it.

Both of them have effectively rescued their clubs from financial meltdown when nobody else was interested , unfortunately neither of them are wealthy enough to push right through to compete with the big clubs , so must be more realistic with their ambitions , but as you say , respect for doing the best they can for the fans of the clubs they represent 

44 minutes ago, binosh said:

Why are you completely ignoring the fact it’s been explained on this thread many times. That fire and safety regulations capacity is not the same as simply the number of people that can physically fit into the ground. 

4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Why are you completely ignoring the fact it’s been explained on this thread many times. That fire and safety regulations capacity is not the same as simply the number of people that can physically fit into the ground. 

Because it's convenient for the haters to do so.

Central Park once had 47,747 people on it, when it held its last game the attendance was restricted to 18,000.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

12 hours ago, binosh said:

The facility holds more than 9,600. The Wolfpack have over sold/distributed tickets because not every ticket will be used; up to 11,000 if necessary because that is what their reviews say the stands+beer garden+VIP area will hold.

The announced number is the number of tickets scanned for the game.

People are welcome to doubt the info but it comes straight from club management.

20 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I’m ignoring it because it wasn’t discussed on the show is that simple enough for you?

I’m talking about the television programme not discussing Lamport Health & Safety regs.

FWIW I’m pro Toronto.

22 hours ago, binosh said:

So why are both of them duds when it comes to managing sporting clubs?

Although they might know more than most of us here, they are both amateurs when it when it comes to running any half decent sporting organisation.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

I thought it was a reasonable watch, a little slow at times. Chairperson needs to move the pace along sometimes.  Otherwise I enjoyed watching.

I can't grasp the relative out of proportion comments to what had or had not been said. Whats wrong of asking questions, giving opinions or even doubting crowd figures (with suggestions why he does) sustainability of the NA clubs on the sport plus even suggesting might be a good idea to see how Toronto goes in SL.

I heard nothing to bring out the extreme and seems to me some abusive comments against participants.

Their is something wrong when people use such intemperate because they disagree. 

17 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I thought it was a reasonable watch, a little slow at times. Chairperson needs to move the pace along sometimes.  Otherwise I enjoyed watching.

I can't grasp the relative out of proportion comments to what had or had not been said. Whats wrong of asking questions, giving opinions or even doubting crowd figures (with suggestions why he does) sustainability of the NA clubs on the sport plus even suggesting might be a good idea to see how Toronto goes in SL.

I heard nothing to bring out the extreme and seems to me some abusive comments against participants.

Their is something wrong when people use such intemperate because they disagree. 

I think healthy debate about the potential issues and implications is necessary and positive, and I'm a little nervous that the RFL/SL haven't really thought it through financially, especially in regard to the Grand Final and Magic Weekend attendances being hit hard.  But when Beaumont starts mouthing off about TWP being liars and inflating crowd figures I think we all know why he's saying it, and I very much doubt it's because of his desire to see TWP succeed and the sport grow off the back of it.  The stadium looks really full, and far better than a lot of heartland clubs stadiums look on game day (including his small stadium that has 2 literally completely empty stands at every home game).  This is why people get annoyed with him, and quite rightly so imo.

1 hour ago, Mister Ting said:

So why are both of them duds when it comes to managing sporting clubs?

Although they might know more than most of us here, they are both amateurs when it when it comes to running any half decent sporting organisation.

Compared to who ?

48 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Very much my opinion on watching the actual show , I was waiting for the ' rant ' or controversial outburst to occur , just 3 people involved in the sport giving their take on things , all very civilised really , put me on there and I'd  happily liven things up 

On 01/05/2019 at 19:36, The Daddy said:

Another day, another club chairman wants to be in the limelight and talk down the sport and a successful club. 

Here's what Derek Beaumont had to say about Toronto Wolfpacks record crowd on the weekend. 

"There's no way [Toronto] had 9500 people in there..... You can say what you want [about attendance figures], who's there monitoring it? They need to be a lot smarter when they're plucking out figures!" 

Perhaps he should focus on making sure his players get paid on time? 

Here's a suggestion, how bout club chairman including Chalmers, Beaumont keep quiet and let the players take the spotlight. How about that? 

Well maybe the players don't get invited onto shows like this because having seen interviews by them , they would just trot out the usual PC boring stuff we hear after every game , does anybody want to hear that for an hour , even retired players like Peacock look poor in those circumstances , on matters of the sport ' off field ' then it's the various administrators that we want to hear from 

8500 still better than Castleford, Salford and Leigh as usual. How many did Wigan get?Poor old Desperate Derek and the anti Wolfpack brigade. ANOTHER crowd that dwarfs the UK crowds including most SL clubs. But Toronto dont bring anything to the game. But the likes of Salford , Leigh, Huddersfield do or more than Toronto?

Just now, SL17 said:

Always Groundhog Day in Toronto by the looks of things.Just not sure what they will do when reality hits.

What I don't get is folk wishing doom on an organisation that is using no central resources to create a club, which has in turn created a massive buzz locally and in RL circles (and media presence through the game). From afar it just smacks of fear and envy.

Until 1908 no RL existed in Australia - I'm sure plenty in the Northern Union were spouting at the time 'what will they bring to the game?'

On 05/05/2019 at 13:06, binosh said:

He said he text one of the wolf pack players after the game who confirmed the numbers were way off. He also said capacity at Lamport was 9600 and it definitely was not capacity, this was agreed upon by Peet & Carter.

First of all the stuff about TWP apart Derek wasn't at all a bad addition to Backchat.

But as you point out he did seem obsessed with the crowd figures.

Using the sackings of 4 young English coaches as a stick to beat NA clubs with does smack of even more hysteria. Interpreting the information that way was nonsense, if there was panic it would be more likely to do with relegation.

Allowing NY and Ottawa into League One is hardly a case of fast tracking.

All in all it is a fault of who you pick for a panel two chairman whose self-interest for their clubs is always likely to be paramount and an agent who can see earnings going up but hardly has the interests of the game at heart could never be described as a balanced team of proponents.

Despite all the panic and prejudice Derek wasn't dreadful and rarely is as bad as he's painted, the programme was good but not one of the best, and fear, panic and hysteria seem to be the new debate levels. On the really good side TGG now fits in perfectly with the times it lives in.

All this encouragement to pick holes in the NA propositions is nonsense to me when my main concerns are will I still have a club next year and will there still be any players left that haven't been knicked by Wigan or some other heartland? Those very clubs that every hysteric on here tells me should be the very ones I defend. Er ......?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

8500 still better than Castleford, Salford and Leigh as usual. How many did Wigan get?Poor old Desperate Derek and the anti Wolfpack brigade. ANOTHER crowd that dwarfs the UK crowds including most SL clubs. But Toronto dont bring anything to the game. But the likes of Salford , Leigh, Huddersfield do or more than Toronto?

Come on Lizzy, you can even add Halifax to the list of four useless clubs above, yet you keep telling me that Halifax are a valuable and wonderful club because they have a strong traditional local game that produces good players..

You can’t have it both ways.

You can’t champion clapped out Fax because they are a source of quality RL players and then Champion Wolfpack who have never developed a decent player ever….and remember their founder Perez has been trying since 2010 when he resurrected Canada RL, and can’t develop top players in fact can’t develop ANY players at all, never mind anyone capable of even Championship Rugby, and as there is no community game there at all and all the kids play other sports he never will.

10 hours ago, SL17 said:

So what do Toronto bring? Plenty being said on what others don’t bring to the game so what’s your answer surrounding Toronto.

No players and no TV deals which they were asked to do, and agreed to do.

Even Beaumont doesn't get it and it was his club that provided the coach and players from Leigh to be shipped off to become Toronto. (Rowley on the plane  "ere lads, put these Toronto jerseys on before we land")

Crowds are irrelevant, and if they want to let a load in for free fair enough, if they want to bull up the idea everyone's watching RL in Toronto fair enough. Meanwhile they get off scot free on the actual criteria they were asked to meet, whilst people on here declare them a massive success, as they swoon at the glamour of it all.

How about we take West Wales, and give them a £Billionaire owner, and he buys up the Halifax squad as a basis for the team and adds several SL quality stars and a couple of Marquee players and they win the Championship and get crowds well into the thousands....... would people here be talking about West Wales bringing all sorts to the game????.

Do we not recall Mr. Samuels who bought his way to Superleague with Celtic Crusaders and all the nasty criticism and moaning they got on this site and beyond, yet they developed a junior game very quickly and quality Welsh players started to come through and expand the playing pool several who still play today and no doubt SKY sold plenty of subscriptions to Wales as well

Yet Toronto have not and never will develop home grown players nor will their fans take any SKY subscriptions and yet people call TWP expansion? Expansion of what exactly? 

"But Toronto dont bring anything to the game???".  Lizzy asks .....They most certainly do not Lizzy they bring nothing at all only disruption to the fixture lists until Easter. Celtic Crusaders brought far far more including a fantastic boost to the Wales International side  you get this SL17 but why can't others get this?. What is everyone's total mental block here?? 

Archived