NRL 2019 - Round 8 - Match Thread

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As there's a bit of a lull ...

Lachlan:

The name is an Anglicised form of the Scottish Gaelic Lachlann, which is in turn derived from the earlier Gaelic personal name Lochlann. In the ninth century, the terms Laithlinn / Laithlind (etc.), appear in historical sources as terms denoting the origin of Vikings active in Ireland.

3 minutes ago, Graham said:

As there's a bit of a lull ...

Lachlan:

The name is an Anglicised form of the Scottish Gaelic Lachlann, which is in turn derived from the earlier Gaelic personal name Lochlann. In the ninth century, the terms Laithlinn / Laithlind (etc.), appear in historical sources as terms denoting the origin of Vikings active in Ireland.

Common name in OZ because of the early Governor Lachlan Macquarie, who has heaps of stuff named after him, both Macquarie and Lachlan. Even his wife Elizabeth got quite a bit named after her. NSW Parliament House is in Macquarie St.

4 minutes ago, Graham said:

Very accurate, full of detail.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-04/nrl-raiders-panthers-sea-eagles-bulldogs-roosters-wests-tigers/11062620?section=sport

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

Meeeeegan? Meeeegan? An aussie pronunciation or just butchering the pronunciation by the commentator?

I first heard that name when I was about 6 or 7 and I didn't believe it was a real name. I thought it was like Jayden or Zayden or Kayden or Kwayden. I guess most Megans back then were called Meg. I wonder what the correct Irish spelling is, maybe Meoghdiorhbn or something.

Archived