Stadium..a sad day

Rango

Make no mistake that today’s election result is a bad day not only for workington Town and workington Reds but the whole area.

The conservative councillors have no ambition for the area and favour a continuation of austerity.

As some have previously said the conservatives have no plan b for the stadium. Well they don’t need one because they aren’t going to build one. The independent councillors, well what can you say! They will probably be able to get a fence mended but that’s about it.

All the extra sellafield staff who would have spent money in the town centre, safeguarding jobs are gone. 

Badly needed new GP services are gone.

Reds juniors, sorry make do and mend.

And I’m dreading the day when I have to look my kids and grandkids in the eye and tell them the reason why we have no decent sports facilities in this area.

Will the last one out please turn the lights off .

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rango said:

Make no mistake that today’s election result is a bad day not only for workington Town and workington Reds but the whole area.

The conservative councillors have no ambition for the area and favour a continuation of austerity.

As some have previously said the conservatives have no plan b for the stadium. Well they don’t need one because they aren’t going to build one. The independent councillors, well what can you say! They will probably be able to get a fence mended but that’s about it.

All the extra sellafield staff who would have spent money in the town centre, safeguarding jobs are gone. 

And I’m dreading the day when I have to look my kids and grandkids in the eye and tell them the reason why we have no decent sports facilities in this area.

Here here it puts the sporting future of Allerdale in grave danger its devastating news for both clubs. 

Well going by what the Tory council leader has said in that times and star report is that they are not against the stadium project. So that must mean our erstwhile friend of the forum and sometime conservative councillor has gone rogue!! Or maybe the penny has dropped that it is actually a good idea.....

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

A wise man once said you get the politicians you deserve, Looks a very poor outlook now for any progress I am afraid. Up to the population now to show the elected representatives what they want for the area. 

4 minutes ago, Onreport said:

A wise man once said you get the politicians you deserve, Looks a very poor outlook now for any progress I am afraid. Up to the population now to show the elected representatives what they want for the area. 

It's a long time since I've had the politicians I deserve ?

Had this argument many times about Workington as a whole,must be one of the most negative areas there is ,people will sit and slag everything off whether it be town,reds,new pub,new restaurant even somebody trying to put on an event or festival,people love it when these things fail,then in the next breath twine that other places have got this n that (blues festival being good example)Well unfortunetly this time these people have got exactly wot they deserve f##k all,and guess wot ,they will be the first ones to moan!

1 hour ago, Rango said:

At least we will be able to tell our Kids and grandkids that they might be getting more flower beds and less dog rather than any decent facilities. 

11 minutes ago, bigapple said:

Had this argument many times about Workington as a whole,must be one of the most negative areas there is ,people will sit and slag everything off whether it be town,reds,new pub,new restaurant even somebody trying to put on an event or festival,people love it when these things fail,then in the next breath twine that other places have got this n that (blues festival being good example)Well unfortunetly this time these people have got exactly wot they deserve f##k all,and guess wot ,they will be the first ones to moan!

It's Apathy central I'm afraid. 

Just over a quarter of those eligible to vote did so, hardly a ringing endorsement of any candidate or party and their policies. Until such times as people actually feel that politicians, either local or national, are actually representing them and not just filling their own egos, pedalling their own agendas  and filling there pockets with expenses they are not going to vote. It is a really sad indictment that a council who were looking to bring a 21st century sporting arena to the area with all the benefits that would have brought  in terms of wealth and  facilities available to all, have been obliterated by short sighted politicians keen on keeping west Cumbria in the dark ages. Well done guys I hope you are all proud of your efforts. 

17 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

At least we will be able to tell our Kids and grandkids that they might be getting more flower beds and less dog rather than any decent facilities. 

But that’s exactly the point - you won’t - the money for the stadium is a loan. The banks won’t loan you money to plant flowers and clean up dog ! 

Sad sad day for Workington - in fighting, zero progress, and a national embarrassment when we’re incapable of hosting the World Cup games we signed up to, that’s what these result mean to the town.

Into the unknown then . Did all you can do in voting for candidates supporting the new build , but if the vast majority don’t bother - including many no doubt wanting the new stadium - then you can’t really  complain with what you get . 

5 minutes ago, I beg to Differ said:

But that’s exactly the point - you won’t - the money for the stadium is a loan. The banks won’t loan you money to plant flowers and clean up dog ! 

Sad sad day for Workington - in fighting, zero progress, and a national embarrassment when we’re incapable of hosting the World Cup games we signed up to, that’s what these result mean to the town.

I was just being sarcastic I'm fully aware we won't be seeing any less dog , we will be run by people who have no interest in the are progressing. It's going to be agrim 4 years. 

My god there’s some psychic’s on here! Just because you don’t agree with the result. How about you stop spouting off with pure speculation! And we give them their four years...they’ve earned it democratically! Also you and I dont know what they are planning regarding the stadium ??

5 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

My god there’s some psychic’s on here! Just because you don’t agree with the result. How about you stop spouting off with pure speculation! And we give them their four years...they’ve earned it democratically! Also you and I dont know what they are planning regarding the stadium ??

Sceptics not psychics 

25 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Well on the conservative leaflet that dropped through my door the topics were to stop the vanity projects and referenced the stadium, having dog log officers to clean up the streets,  and regular bin collections. So which part is pure speculation?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Aye these situations can lead to deadlock and all kinds of political chicanery  as we see in London . Nice humble quote from the Tory mind saying ‘ I see myself potentially as the new leader ‘ . As with anything , we will see what transpires . Got to keep canvassing for the new stadium ! Sound argument  and solid workable viable plans to win support are the only way . Give folk a chance and judge them on that now they’re there is all you can do from here . Fingers crossed , the new stadium just HAS to happen for this community 

Well just hod your gee gees a minute, Mark Jenkinson only objected to the new stadium because he didn't think the finances added up, but agreed that the current facilities are not up to scratch & proposed a phased approach. Let's see if he & the independent group can come up with something suitable. They were trumpeting £2m a year for 50 years for the full new stadium project, when the actual proposal was £1m a year for 30 years, with a further lease option of 20 years. Allerdale could make a profit of £7m in that time if everything came to fruition. Nobody will reject that if the figures add up, lets wait & see. Disappointing that the Conservatives got a majority after a decade of cuts from central government, but I bet not one food bank user voted for them! With the future of the club looking brighter after the recent 2 weeks, & Reds making a strong choice of manager, my cup will remain more than half full, unless something more drastic happens. Up the Town & the Reds!

Mark Jenkinson is very fortunate to be re-elected, got around half the votes of the 2 independents in his ward and if they had time to field one more he would be gone,the same can also be said of a few more in other wards.However the people have chosen and we have to accept their decision although the independents will lose respect if they don't try to form the council

18 minutes ago, Nero said:

Well just hod your gee gees a minute, Mark Jenkinson only objected to the new stadium because he didn't think the finances added up, but agreed that the current facilities are not up to scratch & proposed a phased approach. Let's see if he & the independent group can come up with something suitable. They were trumpeting £2m a year for 50 years for the full new stadium project, when the actual proposal was £1m a year for 30 years, with a further lease option of 20 years. Allerdale could make a profit of £7m in that time if everything came to fruition. Nobody will reject that if the figures add up, lets wait & see. Disappointing that the Conservatives got a majority after a decade of cuts from central government, but I bet not one food bank user voted for them! With the future of the club looking brighter after the recent 2 weeks, & Reds making a strong choice of manager, my cup will remain more than half full, unless something more drastic happens. Up the Town & the Reds!

Never really thought of it that way marra, good post, we will have to see what comes next then. 

Archived