Stadium..a sad day

Rango

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, town4me said:

Why was the whole new stadium concept  announced if only Labour were in favour and local elections were due in the months to come after the announcement.

The opposition have to oppose, but I doubt much of Allerdale outside of Workington would be in favour if they thought they'd have to pay for it in council tax. That doesn't appear to be true, but that was the opposition spin. Over the years the opposition said the shopping precinct & the sports centre would also fail!

From the literature I've seen, it was the Independents who are dead against the stadium and they have won the most seats!

The Conservatives were questioning the financing and scale of the project but acknowledged the need for improved facilities, whereas the Independents are just opposed to the development full stop. Don't be surprised if Stoddart pop's up backing the stadium as long as its built at Moorclose!

Only way the stadium will get built now is if Labour and Conservatives join forces to run the council together.

I personally think (and hope) that there is a compromise to be made and the stadium gets built on the Borough Park site, or that Derwent Park is redeveloped on 3 sides to build a modern stand to replace the popular side and some new covered terracing behind both try lines for Town and Reds to ground share.

There would still more than enough room to develop office space on the site for Sellafield and the NHS  

11 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

From the literature I've seen, it was the Independents who are dead against the stadium and they have won the most seats!

The Conservatives were questioning the financing and scale of the project but acknowledged the need for improved facilities, whereas the Independents are just opposed to the development full stop. Don't be surprised if Stoddart pop's up backing the stadium as long as its built at Moorclose!

Only way the stadium will get built now is if Labour and Conservatives join forces to run the council together.

I personally think (and hope) that there is a compromise to be made and the stadium gets built on the Borough Park site, or that Derwent Park is redeveloped on 3 sides to build a modern stand to replace the popular side and some new covered terracing behind both try lines for Town and Reds to ground share.

There would still more than enough room to develop office space on the site for Sellafield and the NHS  

Derwent Parks biggest problem is access to the ground due the small bridge , I am sure I have heard people mentioning this before.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

The opposition have to oppose, but I doubt much of Allerdale outside of Workington would be in favour if they thought they'd have to pay for it in council tax. That doesn't appear to be true, but that was the opposition spin. Over the years the opposition said the shopping precinct & the sports centre would also fail!

Labour lost seats in workington and maryport wards there votes held up better than expected in the rest of the borough

45 minutes ago, Hate the rec said:

Derwent Parks biggest problem is access to the ground due the small bridge , I am sure I have heard people mentioning this before.

I'm surprised this hasn't been seized on by the Health and Safety brigade. The mix of pedestrians and vehicles using the small bridge (itself in a poor state of repair) is hazardous to say the least.  If the new political regime is poised to give the thumbs down to a new stadium then upgrading D P is the logical alternative providing the council can be persuaded to consider it. Thank God we've had some good news on the coach/player front .

Will the proposed procedure go ahead with the Town&Reds moving onto DP,I was informed that it would be in motion when the Haven game was over.I have kept an eye on the ground but so far nothing is moving(no pun intended),The Reds will have to have somewhere to play, and at this minute possibly due to the cost of running Borough park and then aquiring a safety certificate it looks like the Reds will have to move, and Derwent park is not a big enough pitch playing wise for both clubs?.

When there was tunnelling work in the car park area, a bailey type bridge was put across the beck beside Pirts in the layby, it was much better than the little bridge. If they could do that again each bridge could be one way traffic, they'd only need to restrict the layby on matchdays.

53 minutes ago, Nero said:

When there was tunnelling work in the car park area, a bailey type bridge was put across the beck beside Pirts in the layby, it was much better than the little bridge. If they could do that again each bridge could be one way traffic, they'd only need to restrict the layby on matchdays.

But where would all them lovely red wagons park???

Unfortunately there is a hard core of Reds supporters who have no intention of moving from Borough Park. As it was put to me by an ex director of the club "It's all we need".  Unfortunately there are too many people at the Reds who have influence but due to their mess ups over the years have left the club in the state it is in. There are also supporters who think they are going to get Borough Park rebuilt through grants and will force Allerdale BC to grant them a new long term lease. They think they can get the current lease null and voided by taking Allerdale BC to court.

3 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

I'm surprised this hasn't been seized on by the Health and Safety brigade. The mix of pedestrians and vehicles using the small bridge (itself in a poor state of repair) is hazardous to say the least.  If the new political regime is poised to give the thumbs down to a new stadium then upgrading D P is the logical alternative providing the council can be persuaded to consider it. Thank God we've had some good news on the coach/player front .

very antiquated remark health and safety brigade ....

48 minutes ago, Super Rooster said:

Unfortunately there is a hard core of Reds supporters who have no intention of moving from Borough Park. As it was put to me by an ex director of the club "It's all we need".  Unfortunately there are too many people at the Reds who have influence but due to their mess ups over the years have left the club in the state it is in. There are also supporters who think they are going to get Borough Park rebuilt through grants and will force Allerdale BC to grant them a new long term lease. They think they can get the current lease null and voided by taking Allerdale BC to court.

those supporters may not have a choice as its unlikely to pass any safety inspection for next season. and as for grants zero chance  Grant's are only for new build and not patching up old. the sewage and drainage systems under the ground have all collapsed.

Grants from the FA are also on a matched basis so of reds need 100k to get the safety certificate they will still have to find 50k themselves.

When they are cutting their playing budget for the 3rd year in a row this could be better used trying to get a ddecent product on the pitch.

1 hour ago, miaow said:

very antiquated remark health and safety brigade ....

How so?  As far as I am aware the Health and Safety Executive are still operating under that title. As for the term "brigade" it is a popular synonym for groups or agencies perceived to be over- officious or excessively zealous. I would get out more but I am making preparations for a " goggles and gloves" conker tournament coming up in October - can't get enough safety legislation factored in these days..........?

9 hours ago, Hate the rec said:

It states in the League Express that Allerdale has been selected as a training and team base camp for the RLWC, do they realise that the stadium is hanging in the balance and no one knows what is going on!

This would bring money and recognition to the area so no doubt the new council won't want it.As far as i know the new councillors meet on Wednesday to accept their roles, pressure needs applied from both clubs immediately to find out their plans

If it all goes ahead I just hope the put the teams at a trading base in somewhere in Allerdale like Keswick rather than somewhere like Maryport or Wigton to give them a good impression of the area.

14 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

If it all goes ahead I just hope the put the teams at a trading base in somewhere in Allerdale like Keswick rather than somewhere like Maryport or Wigton to give them a good impression of the area.

Nowt wrong with Maryport 

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

You obviously haven't sampled Keswick's night-time economy lately mate. Rough as a#seholes like many towns these days.  

Must be idyllic in leafy Hertfordshire?

4 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

You obviously haven't sampled Keswick's night-time economy lately mate. Rough as a#seholes like many towns these days.  

Must be idyllic in leafy Hertfordshire?

Its lovely marra, but a bit far for a training camp.

Just read the article on the council leadership in tonight's star,from that I can't see anything being built in allerdale under this lot,rumours are that our mate Mark jenkinson is leading a coup to take over the conservative leadership and forming some kind of right wing coalition with the ukip independents. You couldn't make it up but if I had voted independent the last thing I would expect is them having anything to do with the Tories 

Archived