Stadium..a sad day

Rango

Just a Tongue in Cheek response to some of the figures that get banded about on here and other forums regarding anything from players wages to Ground Costs without any real substance behind them.

Looking at The Reds Forum a few on there are saying that the Council have spent £100,000 on Derwent Park so that the Reds can play here next season and I am continually hearing up Town and at Work all these stupid figures being quoted regarding how much the Council are spending on improvements.

£4000 sounds about right to me regarding the Shale removal and can't see the cost of levelling the pitch,new Top soil and Grass seed costing £94000 so where do these figures come from.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cumberland Sausage said:

Just a Tongue in Cheek response to some of the figures that get banded about on here and other forums regarding anything from players wages to Ground Costs without any real substance behind them.

Looking at The Reds Forum a few on there are saying that the Council have spent £100,000 on Derwent Park so that the Reds can play here next season and I am continually hearing up Town and at Work all these stupid figures being quoted regarding how much the Council are spending on improvements.

£4000 sounds about right to me regarding the Shale removal and can't see the cost of levelling the pitch,new Top soil and Grass seed costing £94000 so where do these figures come from.

I have seen somewhere that there was £100,000 in the last council budget for pitch improvements at derwent park agreed, but that was possibly in one of Mark jenkinson rants,interestingly he seems to be trying to take credit for the pitch works funded by lidl in maryport. 

18 minutes ago, Route66 said:

I have seen somewhere that there was £100,000 in the last council budget for pitch improvements at derwent park agreed, but that was possibly in one of Mark jenkinson rants,interestingly he seems to be trying to take credit for the pitch works funded by lidl in maryport. 

55 minutes ago, Cumbria RL said:

Cleator moor Celtic had there pitch totally redone sand, the works cost in region of 70 k obviously payed for by sports funding.

It would be another £50.000 at least for Derwent park with the size difference, but that will also depend on what or if it requires extra drainage, 

15 minutes ago, JMB said:

It would be another £50.000 at least for Derwent park with the size difference, but that will also depend on what or if it requires extra drainage, 

Drainage has always been good at DP due to it being sited on top of an old ashes tip,created when cinders and ash were pretty much the only waste dumped. Unlike today's landfill largely inert materials including glass.........my old feller used to ratch for old bottles and pot lids  when he was a kid living at Back Row, Northside.   Probably the reason that historically many matches survived very wet weather at DP when the paddy field down the road was unplayable ?

6 hours ago, Havenwarrior said:

Was surprised to still the Footy Posts still up at BP yday, thought it would have been ready for this Sunday’s game.

HW

today I think they go up. I was down yesterday and towns sponsor boards where being laid out. 

Me and me Dad have been trying to remember why Town played Wigan back in 1987 (was it?) I can remember the game, was it one of Frano Botica's first games? but can't remember the reason for the switch 

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Might be wrong but i think it was the consequences of the Bradford fire . All grounds were re-examined , ours failed because i think for the lack of crash barriers , so we had to play at Borough Park .

Because of ground safety requirements Derwent Park's authorised capacity was less than 2,000.......I remember Ike and a crew adding Crush barriers shortly after that game v Wigan....the other matches played at Borough Park in 1980's were under lights...Town had none then.

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Me and me Dad have been trying to remember why Town played Wigan back in 1987 (was it?) I can remember the game, was it one of Frano Botica's first games? but can't remember the reason for the switch 

Before Boticas time,Wigan team that day,Hampson,Stott,Stephenson, Hanley,Gill,Ella,Edwards, West,Kiss, Lucas,Du toit, Goodway,Potter.subs Ford and Louw .Wish we could see the likes again regularly

39 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Before Boticas time,Wigan team that day,Hampson,Stott,Stephenson, Hanley,Gill,Ella,Edwards, West,Kiss, Lucas,Du toit, Goodway,Potter.subs Ford and Louw .Wish we could see the likes again regularly

Workington Town 12 Wigan 56 - Sunday 9th February 1986
Venue: Borough Park, Workington FC (Switched from Derwent Park, Workington)
Competition: Silk Cut Challenge Cup First Round
Kick Off: 3:00pm

WiganlBacks:l 1. Steve Hampson, 2. Phil Stott, 3. David Stephenson, 4. Ellery Hanley, 5. Henderson Gill, 6. Steve Ella, 7. Shaun Edwards
WiganlForwards:l 8. Graeme West, 9. Nicky Kiss, 10. Ian Lucas, 11. Nick Du Toit, 12. Andy Goodway, 13. Ian Potter
WiganlSubs Used:l 14. Mike Ford (replaced Nicky Kiss), 15. Rob Louw (replaced Andy Goodway)

WiganlTries:l

Henderson Gill 2, Phil Stott 2, Nick Du Toit 2, Graeme West 2, Ellery Hanley, Shaun Edwards, Ian Lucas, Steve Ella

WiganlGoals:l David Stephenson 2, Henderson Gill 1, Nick Du Toit 1

WorkingtonlTries:l

John Beattie, Dave Courty

WorkingtonlGoals:l Gary Smith 2

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Summary:l

No problems ofr Wigan in this First Round Challenge Cup tie at Workington.

Half Time:l

Workington 0 Wigan 18

Attendance:l

Referee:l

Ron Campbell (Widnes)

I was told yesterday that Borough Park has failed its stadium inspection and the current certificate runs out at the end of July.

Where would that leave both cubs if the pitch at Derwent Park  hasn't seeded in time?

I suppose Town could play a game at Zebras or more than likely the Rec' as that will have the appropriate certificates, but what about the Reds, as there isn't any other ground locally that I can think of that could accommodate them?

Out of interest Rockerlad, could Reds still play Reserves and Junior games on Borough Park without a certificate as there aren't more than a handful of speccies attend those games?

3 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I was told yesterday that Borough Park has failed its stadium inspection and the current certificate runs out at the end of July.

Where would that leave both cubs if the pitch at Derwent Park  hasn't seeded in time?

I suppose Town could play a game at Zebras or more than likely the Rec' as that will have the appropriate certificates, but what about the Reds, as there isn't any other ground locally that I can think of that could accommodate them?

Out of interest Rockerlad, could Reds still play Reserves and Junior games on Borough Park without a certificate as there aren't more than a handful of speccies attend those games?

I believe the pitch has now been seeded? Cant see it taking any longer than the end of July to be ready?

3 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I very much doubt it mate to be honest. abd yes safety cert runs out end of July. it was meant to be may but I think they got an extension to accommodate town

14 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

do you think that's the end of Borough Park regardless of the stadium going ahead or not? 

I'm not sure, I know they are currently pricing up the work that needs required in a worst case scenario. it will all depend on how the shareholders vote. but if the stadium doesn't happen and the shareholders block a move to DP I wouldn't be surprised if the BOD resigned IMO

On 21/06/2019 at 11:15, townie88 said:

I believe the pitch has now been seeded? Cant see it taking any longer than the end of July to be ready?

Defo a bit of green on the pitch now ?

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Good post on the Reds forum yesterday. 

What is a scaled down version? Reduced capacity? Any decent sized stadium with terracing on all sides and a decent stand would struggle to have a smaller capacity.

Get rid of the offices etc? - this bit of the stadium MAKES THE MONEY!!!

The capacity of a stadium is not just based on number of seats and size of terracing. It is a complex calculation based number of emergency exits, access to exits, number of turnstiles ...

The idea of a scaled down stadium is absurd quite frankly. It would cost circa £500,000 to redesign the stadium.

On 13/06/2019 at 13:04, Cumberland Sausage said:

If they have put new field drains in as well, I would say 100k was about right. If you look at Sport England's guide for pitches, they can cost anything from 60k for basic redrainage up to 200k if its a brand new pitch and needs built up or leveling.

Most of the local RL clubs (who look after their pitches) will pay around 5k per year for field maintenance alone

Archived