Stadium..a sad day

Rango

I’d like to know how he gets that 95 million figure .... and we can’t rush is the biggest joke ever . It’s been going snails pace for ages just kicking the can down the road to try and make the time scale unworkable on purpose

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See where we end up ha ha, it's pretty bloody obvious where we end you buffoon, no stadium, no world Cup games, no much needed income to the area, pubs, hotels, restaurants desperate for trade miss out massively. But you get to smuglt laugh in the faces of the tax payers. Utterly shambolic, all so some small time councillors get one up on someone. 

1 hour ago, town4me said:

15 minutes of fame for some people ruining the future of sport in allerdale with a caveman negative attitude. WELL WE ALL KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN THE NEXT LOCAL ELECTIONS COME AROUND.  

We have just had an election and the people of Allerdale in their wisdom voted these chancers in knowing most of them had no intention of going ahead with scheme. Its a badge of honour for Jenkinson in stopping this, he's lied about the cost from day one for him it's all about getting one over on the previous labour council, the council that tried to move this town into the 21st century. We got what we deserved, a bunch of self interested individuals who just want to get their snouts in the trough and look after themselves... We were warned ?

A question for Jenkinson and the other 5 who voted against this plan.  How much income would be generated from Sellafield, the NHS, the Reds and Town, all the many other users over say 50 years or so against the initial outlay?  He has never yet given a response to a professional opinion that Mr Lapping gave, I wonder why!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Moron's . Why look at getting new plans drawn up to build a Stadium when its already been designed . Is this not lost money plus the loss of the RLWC and revenue it would have brought to the Town . One IDIOT mentioned that the previous party and planners should have looked at two Amateur Football Stadiums who have office blocks . What will happen if those clubs got into the professional  Football league . would they be looking to build a bigger Stadium.  These IDIOTS have shown there real business sense is, ZERO . Smaller Stadium new plans  .Stadium Build . New separate Office block plans , Office Block Build .All extra cost  plus the lost revenue of the RLWC   £7m last time it was held here . Add all that extra cost up ,and you might as well have stayed with the original plans . ALL TO GET ONE OVER THE PREVIOUS LABOUR PARTY . The meeting was a waist of time to attend . there minds were already made up . but it did show what the people are like who are running OUR TOWN. When asked  questions by the Chief Executive  they weren't addressing the Room , And Mark Jenkinson didn't know how to answer ,His hands were all over his face  looking down at the table muttering to Himself . One thing He did say that I heard was in 50 years time what state would the Stadium be in then . ,meaning we would need another one built . Well Mr Jenkinson if you keep the Town in the dark ages What state will the Town and Area be in .  BUT He did look up and started smiling  after the decision was made and the general public got up to walk out . that the type of people we've got running  Allerdale . all for a big EGO trip . 

26 minutes ago, silverfox said:

Moron's . Why look at getting new plans drawn up to build a Stadium when its already been designed . Is this not lost money plus the loss of the RLWC and revenue it would have brought to the Town . One IDIOT mentioned that the previous party and planners should have looked at two Amateur Football Stadiums who have office blocks . What will happen if those clubs got into the professional  Football league . would they be looking to build a bigger Stadium.  These IDIOTS have shown there real business sense is, ZERO . Smaller Stadium new plans  .Stadium Build . New separate Office block plans , Office Block Build .All extra cost  plus the lost revenue of the RLWC   £7m last time it was held here . Add all that extra cost up ,and you might as well have stayed with the original plans . ALL TO GET ONE OVER THE PREVIOUS LABOUR PARTY . The meeting was a waist of time to attend . there minds were already made up . but it did show what the people are like who are running OUR TOWN. When asked  questions by the Chief Executive  they weren't addressing the Room , And Mark Jenkinson didn't know how to answer ,His hands were all over his face  looking down at the table muttering to Himself . One thing He did say that I heard was in 50 years time what state would the Stadium be in then . ,meaning we would need another one built . Well Mr Jenkinson if you keep the Town in the dark ages What state will the Town and Area be in .  BUT He did look up and started smiling  after the decision was made and the general public got up to walk out . that the type of people we've got running  Allerdale . all for a big EGO trip . 

Massive ego trip for Jenkinson probably won't be able to wipe theat smile from his fat face. It was his goal his baby and now its been delivered, basically sport in Allerdale has been shafted by a Councillor who got just over 500 votes. The only people to blame are the apethetic public who let this happen. We now have a leader from over 20 miles away from Workington who probably couldn't name an estate or street in Workington, Maryport or Cockermouth. I fear for the future of both clubs and sport in the area. 

42 minutes ago, silverfox said:

It'll be interesting to know exactly how much money their new plans save! It's embarrassing to have these people running our town. Notice recent media about Carlisle and Whitehaven developing their city /town. Workington will be left in the dark ages with this lot in council.

As someone who lives away from Cumbria now and who has worked and lived in a few countries round the world and all over the UK I have to say this sums up the total lack of ambition West Cumbrians have. I come back up regularly to watch Town and the area gets more depressed everytime I come, the Stadium could have kick started something- Think (on a larger scale) Cardif and how the (then) new city centre stadium totally transformed the south Wales economy.

When will people realise that areas like West Cumbria need a focal point that brings in people and investment from outside the area? 

It's no exaggeration to say as Sellafield runs down this could really be the final nail in the areas Coffin.

Amazing decision and even the RL community which is one of the few that actually gives this area respect will now treat us as the joke that we are.

It beggers believe that the council belive this is a good decision.

You have to remember that at least half of the Executive are ex BNP or UKIP/Tory. They are only used to tearing things down, not building things up. Cowardly, backward, shouters who couldn't run a raffle. They are frightened because now it's them and not others, they have to make decisions. It is beyond them. They do not have the intelligence or the ability to process such things. Couple that with a psychotic desire to shaft the previous administration. We are in deep trouble as a borough but it's our fault. We voted them in.

On 03/05/2019 at 07:44, Rango said:

Make no mistake that today’s election result is a bad day not only for workington Town and workington Reds but the whole area.

The conservative councillors have no ambition for the area and favour a continuation of austerity.

As some have previously said the conservatives have no plan b for the stadium. Well they don’t need one because they aren’t going to build one. The independent councillors, well what can you say! They will probably be able to get a fence mended but that’s about it.

All the extra sellafield staff who would have spent money in the town centre, safeguarding jobs are gone. 

Badly needed new GP services are gone.

Reds juniors, sorry make do and mend.

And I’m dreading the day when I have to look my kids and grandkids in the eye and tell them the reason why we have no decent sports facilities in this area.

Will the last one out please turn the lights off .

It pains me to say it, but I knew this was coming. Mr jenkinson has a deep rooted hatred of mark fryer and labour and will stop at nothing to tear down any plans they had for the betterment of the area. It’s been a calculated plan for months, from ousting the previous Tory leader to installing a subservient council leader. Unfortunately when councillor Mrs tribble decided to retire from seaton it gave him the back door into the council he needed. (He finished 3rd)  So the fact that only 500 odd people voted for him unfortunately gives him carte Blanche to do as he pleases and his flock of sheep on the executive will follow him. No doubt councillor stoddart will be rewarded with something for moorclose and councillor kemp something for maryport prom.

Unfortunately the area will be trapped in the middle of the previous century at least until the next elections.

Maybe everyone could make their displeasure known to councillor jenkinson  and the rest of the Luddite councillors who have dragged us down.

12 minutes ago, Rango said:

Maybe everyone could make their displeasure known to councillor jenkinson  and the rest of the Luddite councillors who have dragged us down.

Surely he'll already be very aware of the "displeasure" he has caused ? (Not that it's nice to read of him smirking about it..so childish in fact).

But why on earth was he voted in? Maybe he has more in his portfolio to attract votes than the Stadium saga?

Living here in jamland..proper' jamland'....at least I didn't get an Allerdale vote...but it still irks me greatly that Allerdale won't move with times...so sad.

Jenkinson got voted in because he picks up dog poo in Seaton.  This isn't a surprise or a shock. We all knew it was coming. It's probably unfair to throw all the ###### at Jenkinson (although he would pick it up) - there have been other councillors that have been gobbing off all the time against the scheme - Cooke (Silloth) and Finlay (Hayton).

This in turn with a deluded group of Reds supporters who are against the stadium, have a hatred of Town and do not want to share a facility. I've been a Reds and Town supporter for 41 years but I've just about had my fill of the Reds. I feel sorry for their Directors because they try and keep the peace in very trying circumstances. They want to move the club forward but have to deal with supporters who want the club to fail for their own personal gain.  Its all about influence and power at the Reds.

It's been great to see both clubs working together and long may it to continue. But the fight was lost because the stadium supporters were too quiet. Jenkinson and the other stadium opponents were not challenged enough in the press and on social media. They were allowed to spin lies unopposed. 

So now we have to wait for new plans to be drawn up - at what cost? More money wasted.

Sport and society has changed. We need modern multi use facilities that can attract families. A terrace with a tin shed on top will not do that. It will keep some of the opponents happy but a lot of them will have passed away in 10 - 15 years time. Shafting the prosperity of the clubs for the future. This was a one off chance to actual have something modern and new for the community. A bit of a beacon of hope but the luddites have won. Its a very sad day for West Cumbria.

Jenkinson now needs to get the bins sorted out as that seems to be the only thing that people care about around here. How sad.

3 minutes ago, Super Rooster said:

Jenkinson got voted in because he picks up dog poo in Seaton.  This isn't a surprise or a shock. We all knew it was coming. It's probably unfair to throw all the ###### at Jenkinson (although he would pick it up) - there have been other councillors that have been gobbing off all the time against the scheme - Cooke (Silloth) and Finlay (Hayton).

This in turn with a deluded group of Reds supporters who are against the stadium, have a hatred of Town and do not want to share a facility. I've been a Reds and Town supporter for 41 years but I've just about had my fill of the Reds. I feel sorry for their Directors because they try and keep the peace in very trying circumstances. They want to move the club forward but have to deal with supporters who want the club to fail for their own personal gain.  Its all about influence and power at the Reds.

It's been great to see both clubs working together and long may it to continue. But the fight was lost because the stadium supporters were too quiet. Jenkinson and the other stadium opponents were not challenged enough in the press and on social media. They were allowed to spin lies unopposed. 

So now we have to wait for new plans to be drawn up - at what cost? More money wasted.

Sport and society has changed. We need modern multi use facilities that can attract families. A terrace with a tin shed on top will not do that. It will keep some of the opponents happy but a lot of them will have passed away in 10 - 15 years time. Shafting the prosperity of the clubs for the future. This was a one off chance to actual have something modern and new for the community. A bit of a beacon of hope but the luddites have won. Its a very sad day for West Cumbria.

Jenkinson now needs to get the bins sorted out as that seems to be the only thing that people care about around here. How sad.

Sadly you speak the truth.

2 hours ago, Tornado said:

It'll be interesting to know exactly how much money their new plans save! It's embarrassing to have these people running our town. Notice recent media about Carlisle and Whitehaven developing their city /town. Workington will be left in the dark ages with this lot in council.

Zero ambition marra.

drug needle exchange centre councillor stoddart was after. That’ll keep him happy until next election. 

What about the big picture and the return on that investment over decades ? The sporting benefits , the entertainment benefits , the commercial benefits , the public sector benefits , the revenues , the increased attraction of the area etc etc etc . Small minds small vision . Really let down by this decision , we deserve nowt with this kind of stewardship . Keep being the back of beyond . We had a chance to progress , the WC committee gave us a chance to build and grow and we threw their faith back at them 

What an example to set to all the youngsters in the allerdale area! If the people responsible for making the decisions in this area aren't willing to push for better things. How can we expect the next generation to follow suit? 

Like has been already said. This could be the final nail in the coffin for ALL sports in this area. A legacy that Mr Jenskinson will have to live with (and be reminded of) for the rest of his days. 

I think the guy will thrive on this in a narcissistic way. It will be a badge of honour for him if he kills off one of the clubs. Notice already how he is getting more press than the council leader. Don't be surprised if he takes over as leader before their 4 year term is over.

Notice his comment that he wants an investment in grass roots sports. Running track for Seaton AC incorporated into the new stadium design ??

36 minutes ago, Brookie said:

Utterly crazy decision. I can't see the town getting another world cup or sporting event again.

And West Cumbriadoesnt deserve any sporting events (after the Haven fiasco before the last WC). RL is about the only thing in the UK that trys to involve West Cumbria in major events - We dont deserve top level RL so dont deserve any top class facilities or events - The area is stuck in the past and will be for a long time yet.

Archived