Stadium..a sad day

Rango

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

Mr jenkinson please come on this forum and answer some questions from your constituents 

Keep wishing and hoping but I’m afraid he cannot argue with a professional and his argument, he just goes very quiet.  

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Super Rooster said:

I think the guy will thrive on this in a narcissistic way. It will be a badge of honour for him if he kills off one of the clubs. Notice already how he is getting more press than the council leader. Don't be surprised if he takes over as leader before their 4 year term is over.

Notice his comment that he wants an investment in grass roots sports. Running track for Seaton AC incorporated into the new stadium design ??

That’s a great idea NOT

4 hours ago, Keith T said:

A question for Jenkinson and the other 5 who voted against this plan.  How much income would be generated from Sellafield, the NHS, the Reds and Town, all the many other users over say 50 years or so against the initial outlay?  He has never yet given a response to a professional opinion that Mr Lapping gave, I wonder why!!!

The total expenditure would have been £170m of which £95m would be the re-payment of the capital cost, leaving a net surplus of £69m.

Economic benefit of around 2.5m a year which would have been spent around Workington and the wider West Cumbria area.

6 hours ago, unicorn106 said:

We have just had an election and the people of Allerdale in their wisdom voted these chancers in knowing most of them had no intention of going ahead with scheme. Its a badge of honour for Jenkinson in stopping this, he's lied about the cost from day one for him it's all about getting one over on the previous labour council, the council that tried to move this town into the 21st century. We got what we deserved, a bunch of self interested individuals who just want to get their snouts in the trough and look after themselves... We were warned ?

You’ve just answered your own question there. The people voted them in because the majority don’t want a stadium at the quoted costs

26 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

You’ve just answered your own question there. The people voted them in because the majority don’t want a stadium at the quoted costs

More like there was an apathy with the main parties due to the brexit fiasco thats made them  very unpopular.  The euro elections showed  the main parties being punished  too. I doubt very much everyone voted independent to soley stop the stadium.  

2 minutes ago, totallytown said:

Incorrect. Apathy has taken over. We do want rejection. Put the facts in public view and let’s debate. 

Are you nervous??  Let’s do this. 

Workington.....now or never. 

Elaborate

Nowt to do with me this but I work with 7 lads from allerdale area all sports mad . 2 are Newcastle ticket holders 1 every Carlisle game 3 play Sunday league football and 1 plays for glasson he was the only one wanted the stadium.

Just now, donald said:

Nowt to do with me this but I work with 7 lads from allerdale area all sports mad . 2 are Newcastle ticket holders 1 every Carlisle game 3 play Sunday league football and 1 plays for glasson he was the only one wanted the stadium.

Go and put you time into you jam loosing team. They will need your boots with so many injuries. ???

Funny how Mr Jenkinson as just joined Seaton Rugby Club committee  and mentioned about going back to grass roots,and looking after amateur clubs before any new Stadium , was this just so He wouldn't get any backlash from players and parents, Seaton and other clubs could have used the all weather pitch rather than travel to other areas to train or play .  

8 hours ago, silverfox said:

Funny how Mr Jenkinson as just joined Seaton Rugby Club committee  and mentioned about going back to grass roots,and looking after amateur clubs before any new Stadium , was this just so He wouldn't get any backlash from players and parents, Seaton and other clubs could have used the all weather pitch rather than travel to other areas to train or play .  

Well said.

9 hours ago, Red Arrow said:

A private finance initiative (PFI) is a way of financing public sector projects through the private sector. ... Under a private finance initiative, the private company handles the up-front costs instead of the government.15 Apr 2019

So where’s the risk to the tax payer?

4 hours ago, Super Rooster said:

Jenkinson got voted in because he picks up dog poo in Seaton.  This isn't a surprise or a shock. We all knew it was coming. It's probably unfair to throw all the ###### at Jenkinson (although he would pick it up) - there have been other councillors that have been gobbing off all the time against the scheme - Cooke (Silloth) and Finlay (Hayton).

This in turn with a deluded group of Reds supporters who are against the stadium, have a hatred of Town and do not want to share a facility. I've been a Reds and Town supporter for 41 years but I've just about had my fill of the Reds. I feel sorry for their Directors because they try and keep the peace in very trying circumstances. They want to move the club forward but have to deal with supporters who want the club to fail for their own personal gain.  Its all about influence and power at the Reds.

It's been great to see both clubs working together and long may it to continue. But the fight was lost because the stadium supporters were too quiet. Jenkinson and the other stadium opponents were not challenged enough in the press and on social media. They were allowed to spin lies unopposed. 

So now we have to wait for new plans to be drawn up - at what cost? More money wasted.

Sport and society has changed. We need modern multi use facilities that can attract families. A terrace with a tin shed on top will not do that. It will keep some of the opponents happy but a lot of them will have passed away in 10 - 15 years time. Shafting the prosperity of the clubs for the future. This was a one off chance to actual have something modern and new for the community. A bit of a beacon of hope but the luddites have won. Its a very sad day for West Cumbria.

Jenkinson now needs to get the bins sorted out as that seems to be the only thing that people care about around here. How sad.

Brilliant and very true. ?

2 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

Rubbish

There's only one way out of this mess for town now and that is a merger, I went to watch kells and distington last and was stood with a kells fan, he pointed out young lads...them 3 have signed for Newcastle we've 3 under 14s signed for Wigan ect ect...young lads leaving the county because there's nothing to keep them here, stadiums falling to bits,both pro teams in the bottom league of the pro game and realistically not going anywhere fast. If a new stadium could be built from money from a merger and get similar set up with nhs/sellafield I'd go for it tomorrow!

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

9 hours ago, donald said:

Then you work with 6 idiots and one genius. 

If workington independents posted the below what the heck does it mean? We arnt getting the original granted so what is there intention

"

Allerdale Borough Council executive committee have today agreed to replace both Workington Town & Workington Reds run down stadia with a new facility fit for the future of both professional sports in Allerdale. 

We will work hard with all parties to ensure the very best outcome is delivered that doesn’t leave the council or council tax payer with a £95m PFI liability."

Archived