Stadium..a sad day

Rango

21 minutes ago, havenhater said:

If workington independents posted the below what the heck does it mean? We arnt getting the original granted so what is there intention

"

Allerdale Borough Council executive committee have today agreed to replace both Workington Town & Workington Reds run down stadia with a new facility fit for the future of both professional sports in Allerdale. 

We will work hard with all parties to ensure the very best outcome is delivered that doesn’t leave the council or council tax payer with a £95m PFI liability."

Given the history of small minded ineptitude of our local councils in West Cumbria probably something like below 

65248005-7E71-4CF9-A447-D1D5B607F754.jpeg

CEF313E2-8CED-4300-A952-091D53BCBF45.jpeg

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about context. So the council officers have been told to go away and come up with a new scheme.

So this means a complete new plan - so we need new plans, consultation and a business plan drawn up. How long will that take? Then planning would need to be applied for, building tenders and finally construction. 

That's a very simplistic view but in reality how many times will it have to be presented to the executive?  I can't see any way a stadium can be ready in time for the RLWC and would it meet their stadium and facility criteria?

More importantly this is a great delaying tactic for nothing to happen.

It should be remembered that the Reds signed a lease with Allerdale BC by which they can be given notice to leave of 6 months as long as a new facility was provided. The key point was what type of new facility? Have the Reds not been given that now - relocation to Derwent Park. Simple really. Allerdale pay peanuts and that's your lot.

14 hours ago, Super Rooster said:

Jenkinson got voted in because he picks up dog poo in Seaton.  This isn't a surprise or a shock. We all knew it was coming. It's probably unfair to throw all the ###### at Jenkinson (although he would pick it up) - there have been other councillors that have been gobbing off all the time against the scheme - Cooke (Silloth) and Finlay (Hayton).

This in turn with a deluded group of Reds supporters who are against the stadium, have a hatred of Town and do not want to share a facility. I've been a Reds and Town supporter for 41 years but I've just about had my fill of the Reds. I feel sorry for their Directors because they try and keep the peace in very trying circumstances. They want to move the club forward but have to deal with supporters who want the club to fail for their own personal gain.  Its all about influence and power at the Reds.

It's been great to see both clubs working together and long may it to continue. But the fight was lost because the stadium supporters were too quiet. Jenkinson and the other stadium opponents were not challenged enough in the press and on social media. They were allowed to spin lies unopposed. 

So now we have to wait for new plans to be drawn up - at what cost? More money wasted.

Sport and society has changed. We need modern multi use facilities that can attract families. A terrace with a tin shed on top will not do that. It will keep some of the opponents happy but a lot of them will have passed away in 10 - 15 years time. Shafting the prosperity of the clubs for the future. This was a one off chance to actual have something modern and new for the community. A bit of a beacon of hope but the luddites have won. Its a very sad day for West Cumbria.

Jenkinson now needs to get the bins sorted out as that seems to be the only thing that people care about around here. How sad.

Screenshot_20190629-105712_Facebook.jpg

15 hours ago, Super Rooster said:

Jenkinson got voted in because he picks up dog poo in Seaton.  This isn't a surprise or a shock. We all knew it was coming. It's probably unfair to throw all the ###### at Jenkinson (although he would pick it up) - there have been other councillors that have been gobbing off all the time against the scheme - Cooke (Silloth) and Finlay (Hayton).

This in turn with a deluded group of Reds supporters who are against the stadium, have a hatred of Town and do not want to share a facility. I've been a Reds and Town supporter for 41 years but I've just about had my fill of the Reds. I feel sorry for their Directors because they try and keep the peace in very trying circumstances. They want to move the club forward but have to deal with supporters who want the club to fail for their own personal gain.  Its all about influence and power at the Reds.

It's been great to see both clubs working together and long may it to continue. But the fight was lost because the stadium supporters were too quiet. Jenkinson and the other stadium opponents were not challenged enough in the press and on social media. They were allowed to spin lies unopposed. 

So now we have to wait for new plans to be drawn up - at what cost? More money wasted.

Sport and society has changed. We need modern multi use facilities that can attract families. A terrace with a tin shed on top will not do that. It will keep some of the opponents happy but a lot of them will have passed away in 10 - 15 years time. Shafting the prosperity of the clubs for the future. This was a one off chance to actual have something modern and new for the community. A bit of a beacon of hope but the luddites have won. Its a very sad day for West Cumbria.

Jenkinson now needs to get the bins sorted out as that seems to be the only thing that people care about around here. How sad.

probably about 1% of reds supporters where against the idea, all older ones who probably dont understand how bad of a state BP is in and think paint and wall paper will solve the problem. 

13 hours ago, donald said:

Nowt to do with me this but I work with 7 lads from allerdale area all sports mad . 2 are Newcastle ticket holders 1 every Carlisle game 3 play Sunday league football and 1 plays for glasson he was the only one wanted the stadium.

Didn't happen of the year award right there. just looking to cause trouble

17 hours ago, Super Rooster said:

Bang on. ?

16 hours ago, Super Rooster said:

I think the guy will thrive on this in a narcissistic way. It will be a badge of honour for him if he kills off one of the clubs. Notice already how he is getting more press than the council leader. Don't be surprised if he takes over as leader before their 4 year term is over.

Notice his comment that he wants an investment in grass roots sports. Running track for Seaton AC incorporated into the new stadium design ??

There was a running track at Moorclose for years but I doubt it was ever used, it was in ruins after a few years. It would be worse than a speedway track. 

15 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

You’ve just answered your own question there. The people voted them in because the majority don’t want a stadium at the quoted costs

What question? It was the apathetic 75% who didn't vote that got them in. 

20 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

There was a running track at Moorclose for years but I doubt it was ever used, it was in ruins after a few years. It would be worse than a speedway track. 

Just shows what a clueless clown he is. When Sheffield played at the old Don Valley stadium the pitch was inside the athletics track and you needed binoculars. There was more atmosphere on the moon.  

unicorn 106 is bang on . Unfortunately the power lies with the people that don`t vote not those who do .I have had a few jobs in my time and when it came to a vote on strikes or wages invariably nearly 50% of people directly involved couldn`t be bothered to vote , unbelievable .And as every knows with building anything the more you dither and delay the more the costs spiral .

1 hour ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Just shows what a clueless clown he is. When Sheffield played at the old Don Valley stadium the pitch was inside the athletics track and you needed binoculars. There was more atmosphere on the moon.  

Been to Don Valley a few times with Town Academy team .....to be honest it wasn't much worse than having a speedway track to contend with, similar distance to pitch...other facilities were superb..e.g. indoor sprinting track...pity it's been demolished.

2 hours ago, unicorn106 said:

He has mentioned seaton athletics club on numerous occasions, if there ever was something not warranted in the area it is this, a perfectly good one at Whitehaven is hardly used,as well as the moorclose track there was one at the grammar school and one at cockermouth, none got hardly any use

Speaking to a local councillor today they said that before elected mark jenkinson was 100% against having an executive committee making all the big decisions as it should go to the full council to vote. He wanted it abolished immediately. 

Now he is one of the 6 people on the executive committee he is 100% for it and thinks he should be able to make all the big decisions unopposed. Shows the type of weasel we are dealing with.

1 hour ago, Carlisle1921 said:

Speaking to a local councillor today they said that before elected mark jenkinson was 100% against having an executive committee making all the big decisions as it should go to the full council to vote. He wanted it abolished immediately. 

Now he is one of the 6 people on the executive committee he is 100% for it and thinks he should be able to make all the big decisions unopposed. Shows the type of weasel we are dealing with.

He's a hypocrite, no surprise he's changed his tune considering how often he change political party. 

1 hour ago, Carlisle1921 said:

Strangely on facebook he doesn't seem to want to answer whether hes going to try and get rid of the executive committee, like he said he would. 

Jenkinson's comment on the Seaton Rangers facebook site. Notice "I". You see he is spinning and twisting facts again regarding the pfi rate of interest.

"I’d much rather see investment in grassroots facilities Gilly. I couldn’t commit the council to a £95m, 50 year PFI. There’s councils up and down the country trying to get out of them. Imagine still being in a PFI lease on Derwent Park today, which is about 53 years old." 

So I'm.predicting a new training pitch in Seaton just before the next election to ensure he gets another term.

56 minutes ago, Super Rooster said:

Jenkinson's comment on the Seaton Rangers facebook site. Notice "I". You see he is spinning and twisting facts again regarding the pfi rate of interest.

"I’d much rather see investment in grassroots facilities Gilly. I couldn’t commit the council to a £95m, 50 year PFI. There’s councils up and down the country trying to get out of them. Imagine still being in a PFI lease on Derwent Park today, which is about 53 years old." 

So I'm.predicting a new training pitch in Seaton just before the next election to ensure he gets another term.

20190629_173649.jpg

Mr Jenkinson also said he couldn't (as in his council that he now owns) commit to a PFI stadium of 95 million (false figure from mr jenkinson, never been proven) when loads of local councils are desperately trying to get out of PFI builds.

I am yet so see any evidence of anyone trying to get out of a PFI arrangement wether it be a local council or anyone else. I know mr jenkinson reads this forum so can't wait for him to give all of these examples.

If this stadium was a good finance option and would make money over the term, like some people have said do you not think every rugby/football club would have one built! It’s clearly going to be a oncost for the clubs/taxpayers so the council are looking at better options......seems sensible to me. 

Some of you lot on here are stadium blind?

27 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

If this stadium was a good finance option and would make money over the term, like some people have said do you not think every rugby/football club would have one built! It’s clearly going to be a oncost for the clubs/taxpayers so the council are looking at better options......seems sensible to me. 

Some of you lot on here are stadium blind?

not everyone has sellafield and the ohs 'underwriting' it. We're not stadium blind just ambitious for the area. We want to build things up other than tear them down like the right wing austerity racists

Archived