Why no SL magazine show when Sky make this rubbish

This is a league forum, so presumably those on here like league. In which case you’d guess we’d want to see more of the sport on tv, including a magazine and highlights show. That’s not too controversial a view is it?

NFL is indeed a big business and one quite a few people seem to enjoy, but unsurprisingly given I post on here, I prefer the purity of league, and I suspect I always will. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really a question of whether you like the bloody sport... do you think those idiots who pay £100 a ticket to go to Twickenham every February all enjoy the sport? No, they pay their money cause they want to be seen at a prestigious sporting event. It’s all about image. Have a few beers, take a few photos. If the game is any good then that’s a bonus. 

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's for kids who don't really like proper sports (football, league, union and cricket).....the same as playing Minecraft or Fortnite 

A sport with the amount of injuries that American Football can't be considered to be not a proper sport.

1 hour ago, Moscow01 said:

I’m absolutely staggered by the small minded attitude of some people on here. It’s that classic rugby league trait of jealousy and being offensive to sports that aren’t rugby league. 

If you don’t think it’s impressive that a sport such as American Football can regularly fill the biggest stadium in the country then I don’t know what to say. I love rugby league but there’s loads we could learn from sports like NFL. To try and diminish the sport and the remarkable achievements it’s enjoyed on these shores just reeks of jealousy. 

The people dismissing NFL out of hand are just replicating what so many people do to Rugby League.

Apart from union whose history of evil means it cannot be entertained, people should judge sports on their actual merits, not their preconceived notions. It's amazing to see people on an RL forum not get this.

I’m absolutely staggered by the small minded attitude of some people on here. It’s that classic rugby league trait of jealousy and being offensive to sports that aren’t rugby league. 

If you don’t think it’s impressive that a sport such as American Football can regularly fill the biggest stadium in the country then I don’t know what to say. I love rugby league but there’s loads we could learn from sports like NFL. To try and diminish the sport and the remarkable achievements it’s enjoyed on these shores just reeks of jealousy. 

The people dismissing NFL out of hand are just replicating what so many people do to Rugby League.

Apart from union whose history of evil means it cannot be entertained, people should judge sports on their actual merits, not their preconceived notions. It's amazing to see people on an RL forum not get this.

4 hours ago, yipyee said:

4 games? And Spurs is nowhere near 80k

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Wasn’t sure exact numbers to be fair. But they will be sell outs

Pretty sure Spurs are hosting 2 games a season. Wembley is still hosting 2 games. 4 in total.

Threads like this are why I read about RL mostly away from this forum these days. There used to be debates now it's just "NFL is very boring before anyone defends it".

Why shouldn't people defend the NFL if they like it? People can like more than one sport if they want. There are different things to see in all sports. I can see why some people like rugby union and Aussie rules. If they wanted to engage in discussion, I'd be interested in what they have to say if they approach the subject with an open mind. 

I like RL and the NFL. Some people don't. It doesn't make me wrong and them right or the other way around. 

I'll look in here from time to time hoping to see a decent thread. But more often than not, I move elsewhere. I don't expect anyone to care - that's what choice is all about. 

But I do miss the better quality of forum that used to live here.

10 hours ago, Spidey said:

Circa 80k will be attending each of 3 NFL games in London this Autumn.  There’s the appeal straight there

Each of these games is already far bigger than any RL event in England. Plus, the tickets are much more expensive. Don't be jealous, try to improve your product. This not only includes the game itself, but the whole match day experience. If RL is a so much better sport, how come the Broncos can barely pull 2K? Are you going to promote RL by lecturing people on how wrong they are in the entertainment choices?

7 hours ago, Clogiron said:

I think think we should be more concerned as to why Sky yet again fail to include RL in their promotions for their summer of sport, that really tells you where we stand in their pecking order?

Always the same. Is it so hard to include one action clip and a shot of the SL badge.

3 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Pretty sure Spurs are hosting 2 games a season. Wembley is still hosting 2 games. 4 in total.

It's 4. Two at Wembley, two at Spurs.

So that's 124,000 at Spurs and and 172,000 at Wembley. A mere 296,000 total.

As to why we don't have a magazine show. Both Sky and BT have massively cut back the magazine and chat shows. I think the only one that survives on BT is their rugby union one - the football ones are now wraparounds for the matchday coverage. Sky have a few soccer ones but anything else is just filler for their channels. How many times the 2011 World Cup has been won in the past few weeks ...

Boots n All was late and very unlamented.

I imagine that the NFL either wholly or partly contribute to the costs of any magazine show on Sky.

And before we look at Sky too hard it might be nice to get our own house in order. Other sports absolutely blow us out of the water in terms of social media.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

NFL is successful because it's a marketing behemoth not because it's a great sport 

For me that is nothing to admire

Whilst the highlights are always fun the live game itself is a stuttering advert filled mess.

7 hours ago, M j M said:

I’ll watch either.  Many RL players do too.

What seems strange is that many RL coaches have been and still go to NFL clubs to learn new ways but our experts dismiss it a tedious and boring.  I’ve been to 2 live games in the USA, yes both did take a long time and the distance between players and crowd isn’t ideal for all, but the lead up and the spectacle are tremendous and create great atmosphere.  Channel 4s efforts, I though were marvellous with great music tracks to complement all the highlights.  What do we offer?

Manouvering some budget towards a partnership with, say, C4 type productions would probably bring more people into the sport that a lot of Clubs efforts armed only with a website and a Skytry bag.  

Whatever your thoughts on the actual sport and it’s qualities, it’s hard not to be envious of the NFL and it’s coverage it receives on Sky. You’ve got live games each week, the RedZone programme on a Sunday, the NFL Hard Knocks docuseries each year, the coverage of great games from the past, programmes on former players and coaches that have shaped the game and BBC show a highlights package each week, too. People even pay for various NFL passes on top of all of this, too, so there’s definitely an appetite for the game in the UK.

We don’t have the majority of that stuff in Rugby League, all we’ve got is live games and Grand Final Gold, which seem to have been played hundreds and hundreds of time and they each last about ten-fifteen minutes maximum, so hardly enough action to get your teeth into before it ends and adverts are on. We’ve got that god awful Rugby AM that does more damage than good, IMO, on whatever channel it’s on but thankfully, I don’t think anyone actually watches that. 

21 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

NFL is successful because it's a marketing behemoth not because it's a great sport 

For me that is nothing to admire

Whilst the highlights are always fun the live game itself is a stuttering advert filled mess.

I don't think that is true, but even if it were, I'd swap all that for the "purity"  of our puny sport any day. 

It is a bit of a tendency in all of us to defend what we like by going on the attack.

The list from Derek B., to Brexit is enormous essentially self-serving, sometimes OTT and always pretty useless as a strategy.

It is perfectly understandable when a siege mentality becomes the embedded notion and TGG has been under siege for a huge part of its history.

I nearly posted meantality by accident but that may be more accurate in reality.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You can fool all of the people some of the time , and SOME of the people ALL of the time , but not all of the people all of the time 

It's all these snowflake milleniums who have nothing better to do and have more money than sense.

The difference in brand strength is massive, of course, and for me is potentially the biggest challenge and opportunity for our sport. Where people have even heard of RL, the reaction is often negative. In some areas you couldn’t give away tickets to get people to come regardless of how great the game is on the pitch. That’s where we can learn a lot from the NFL.

There’s so much we can do over a 5-10 period to improve this, an investment that I believe would repay itself many times over in terms of commercial revenue I suggest. But it’s hard work, requires a joined up long term vision, and definitely requires investment. All things we’ve not been great at!

Although he’s only in charge of one part of our game, I hope Elstone’s background helps change all this for the better of our sport.

Without wanting to further detail this thread, for me the mooted overseas teams are potentially a massive lift to our brand strength, alongside the need to significantly invest in our media engagement across all platforms and relationships. I’d once and for clarify what we call ourselves too, even if the conclusion is a campaign to reclaim our right to be considered as ‘rugby’ every bit as much as the other lot with the media, governments and so on. 

Whilst the values of the NFL are at the least questionable, and it’s not a sport I particularly like, there’s still a heck of a lot we can learn from their business success. 

3 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Whatever your thoughts on the actual sport and it’s qualities, it’s hard not to be envious of the NFL and it’s coverage it receives on Sky. You’ve got live games each week, the RedZone programme on a Sunday, the NFL Hard Knocks docuseries each year, the coverage of great games from the past, programmes on former players and coaches that have shaped the game and BBC show a highlights package each week, too. People even pay for various NFL passes on top of all of this, too, so there’s definitely an appetite for the game in the UK.

We don’t have the majority of that stuff in Rugby League, all we’ve got is live games and Grand Final Gold, which seem to have been played hundreds and hundreds of time and they each last about ten-fifteen minutes maximum, so hardly enough action to get your teeth into before it ends and adverts are on. We’ve got that god awful Rugby AM that does more damage than good, IMO, on whatever channel it’s on but thankfully, I don’t think anyone actually watches that. 

Even the NFL Draft was broadcast over here. There does need to be more RL on Sky but I think they scaled back on their magazine programmes because of the amount they are paying for Premier League rights. Although if they did do a Rugby AM style programme of their own it would be full of Baz and Terry's "comedy" sketches which I doubt anyone on here would be able to put up with for more than five minutes.

Archived