Improvement Ideas for Toronto's Lamport Stadium

OK folks, it sounds like the city of Toronto is about to replace the old scoreboard at Lamport Stadium.

That's great news, as it's been really tough to tell how much time is left in a match with the number of blown bulbs.

The match day experience that the Wolfpack team put on at Lamport is great, but I thought I'd start a thread to share ideas on how Lamport could be improved a bit.

I don't have a laundry list, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Beyond the scoreboard, the next thing I'd work on is the sound system.

We were sitting in the 3rd row,  at the dead center of the field on the west side and  before, throughout, or even at halftime of the match we could not make out ONE THING said by the announcers or half time hosts. The people around me mentioned it as well.

It might not be a hard fix. It appears the speakers aren't angled up towards the stands,  just straight ahead into the concrete side walls. Angle them properly and crank of the volume a bit might take care of it.

Feel free to add any other ideas.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang, I realized after the fact, I should have put this in the Toronto Wolfpack forum, not the general one.

This should get interesting. ?

Speakers are probably pointed down so the sound doesn't disturb the neighbours. You know, those people who never noticed the stadium was there when they bought their overpriced condos.

11 minutes ago, PatrickB said:

Dang, I realized after the fact, I should have put this in the Toronto Wolfpack forum, not the general on.
Sorry about that. If a moderator want's to move it, feel free.

Don't listen to the 'detracters ' Pat , Lamport is a very good base for a stadium , obviously the overiding issue is how to play games there a month earlier , as us 'anglos ' aren't really familiar with the snow you get , it's down to you mate to come up with the answer 

Does it have adequate baby changing areas?

When I was pushing babies around in strollers/prams the first stadium I went to with a well located stroller parking area was a revelation. It made going to the stadium significantly easier. 

26 minutes ago, Copa said:

When I was pushing babies around in strollers/prams the first stadium I went to with a well located stroller parking area was a revelation. It made going to the stadium significantly easier. 

Are you Angela Powers?!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

35 minutes ago, Copa said:

I believe it does, in the washrooms. The washrooms in general could use an upgrade though. 

• add seats (i.e replace the benches)
  • add capacity
  • add a roof over each stand
  • I hope the new scoreboard is a large video screen with replay capability (as I  believe is expected for Super League)
  • renovate and add more bathrooms (especially for women, who are always in a very long line)
  • dramatically improve the food offerings
  • improve the flow of traffic into the stadium
  • fill in the muddy ground near the west entrance

The SL season does start too early IMO. The weather issue alone would be mitigated somewhat by simply starting it a month or more later. Covered seating would be nice but I assume expensive. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Are you Angela Powers?!

It’s good to have a laugh but when you find yourself responsible for a baby and still want to go to live games with the family , stroller parking areas are fantastic. It’s such a simple thing and it can result in entire families deciding to keep going to games rather than wait for a few years.

All of mine went to games from when they were tiny babies. If the stadium didn’t have facilities we would have stayed home for 6 years instead.

7 minutes ago, Copa said:

It’s good to have a laugh but when you find yourself responsible for a baby and still want to go to live games with the family...

As I am soon to find out.

Maybe I should stop mocking you and building up bad carma? Well, it hasn't stopped me winding up the other half by telling her that giving birth doesn't hurt and it's just a myth...

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

25 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Maybe I should stop mocking you and building up bad carma? Well, it hasn't stopped me winding up the other half by telling her that giving birth doesn't hurt and it's just a myth...

Didn't feel a thing, and I'm a father of four. 

30 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

True, if she complains about pain she’s just fishing for sympathy. Tell her that too. ?

It can be frustrating at games when the little one says he needs to go to the toilet “Now!!” when your team is charging down the field during a close game. You have to have an agreement with your partner that you will take turns for this regardless of the state of the match and to do so quickly without grumbling.

You have to preempt everything and change to aisle seats, have food and toilet plans etc.

Have fun!! 

28 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Congrats. I have only taken the nipper to one game so far but the astro turf banks on the sidelines at the Trailfinders were more than sufficient.

Back to the thread topic: put it in West Yorkshire.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Although the pitch is a lot better than previous seasons, Getting rid of the yellow lines on the pitch is a must. The grey concrete areas / walls could be fitted with plastic cladding in TWP colours. 

The car park end could have a temporary seated / covered stand fitted for the RL Season. Increasing capacity to 10k+ 

The fencing along the king street end should be covered fully and neatly with air transat banners and welcome to Toronto banners. 

A lot less people mooching about at yesterday's game and a lot less cheap white T-shirts. Plus the Georgina Griffins Junior Amateur RL Club forming indicates more could follow to form a Junior RL soon......

10 hours ago, PatrickB said:

Dang, I realized after the fact, I should have put this in the Toronto Wolfpack forum, not the general one.
Sorry about that. If a moderator want's to move it, feel free.

Don’t worry Patrick. The General section is lacking a new Toronto Wolfpack thread.

rldfsignature.jpg

I suggest that free costumes be given to all attending fans - ones that make them look like empty seats.

That way, everybody's happy. The fans get to watch their Rugby and the moaners get to gloat at the apparently empty stands.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived