Improvement Ideas for Toronto's Lamport Stadium

43 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I suggest that free costumes be given to all attending fans - ones that make them look like empty seats.

That way, everybody's happy. The fans get to watch their Rugby and the moaners get to gloat at the apparently empty stands.

Excellent contribution to the debate , well done 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I suggest that free costumes be given to all attending fans - ones that make them look like empty seats.

That way, everybody's happy. The fans get to watch their Rugby and the moaners get to gloat at the apparently empty stands.

83305095-955E-4E25-B0A1-686642085D34.jpeg

Realistically they look like they could do with at least one of the stands being seriously updated with better facilities for the players, fans and corporates. That and a big screen somewhere.

If that's unfeasible at the moment then a roof on at least 1 of the stands and some quality of life updates to facilities like loos etc should be looked at. Maybe a lick of paint to make it feel a bit more like home.

12 hours ago, John WP Fan said:
  • add seats (i.e replace the benches)
  • add capacity
  • add a roof over each stand
  • I hope the new scoreboard is a large video screen with replay capability (as I  believe is expected for Super League)
  • renovate and add more bathrooms (especially for women, who are always in a very long line)
  • dramatically improve the food offerings
  • improve the flow of traffic into the stadium
  • fill in the muddy ground near the west entrance

The issue is that would cost a ton of money neither the city or Ontario will want to spend.

34 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

The issue is that would cost a ton of money neither the city or Ontario will want to spend.

Very true.

I am one of those who hopes we can move to BMO Field. I know Toronto FC doesn't want us, and there are beer issues, but those seems like problems that could be worked out.

Argyle has said he wants to stay at Lamport. I think he will need to spend most of the money needed for renovations if they are going to happen.

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

They need to improve the turnstiles  into the stadium so they can stop people entering once the game has kicked off.

The current ones are set up to multiply x 2. Now we'll have to reprogram them and change it to 3. ?

5 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

Very true.

I am one of those who hopes we can move to BMO Field. I know Toronto FC doesn't want us, and there are beer issues, but those seems like problems that could be worked out.

Argyle has said he wants to stay at Lamport. I think he will need to spend most of the money needed for renovations if they are going to happen.

How necessary is the car park at the end John ? , And how willing would the council be to building on the ' green ' area's either side of the stands ?

Having never been to Lamport it’s hard to say what needs updating but from what I’ve seen on TV, they could do with:

- Proper seats being installed and roofs over the stands

- New scoreboard and big screen

- and perhaps building a permanent structure in the beer garden rather than just having tents

2 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Having never been to Lamport it’s hard to say what needs updating but from what I’ve seen on TV, they could do with:

- Proper seats being installed and roofs over the stands

- New scoreboard and big screen

- and perhaps building a permanent structure in the beer garden rather than just having tents

There doesn't look to be enough space at that end to do anything , there is a main road just outside the fence , hence why I asked about the necessity for car parking at the other end , ultimately the ' tents ' serve their purpose 

1. Black and white fixed seats, Wolfpack logo if possible.

2. A proper media area to make it enjoyable for local, national and international media to cover the games.

3. Corporate boxes and lounge behind the east stand, there seems to be room to build.

4. Another small stand behind the goals at the south end (because the corporate facilities will have moved). Probably a specifically designates family stand because it’s furthest from the beer tent.

5. A big screen. An absolute must for fan experience and sponsorship.

6. Roof over the stands.

7. Better changing facilities.

8. Better broadcasting facilities, let’s get Sky commentary from the ground instead of via data lite. 

2 and 5 should be the highest on the priority list, attracting the media is essential. Having a big screen is also vital and it would pay for itself.

3 is also a must but it will take time. They need a unique corporate experience that attracts all the wealthy people and businesses in Toronto, in a city like that they should be getting 500 corporate guests each game paying top dollar. 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

There doesn't look to be enough space at that end to do anything , there is a main road just outside the fence , hence why I asked about the necessity for car parking at the other end , ultimately the ' tents ' serve their purpose 

Yeah not really much room behind the sticks, unless they build on the car park 

94F7CCAD-913B-4C5E-BE00-2BF75DFD2E69.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Yeah not really much room behind the sticks, unless they build on the car park 

94F7CCAD-913B-4C5E-BE00-2BF75DFD2E69.jpeg

Where will people park without a parking lot? That's My concern 

There's plenty of parking within 10 minutes walk and there's tram stops along King Street as well as bus stops. 

They'd only need to sacrifice 1/5th of the Car Park, the remaining 4/5ths should be allocated to season ticket holders who pay extra for season parking and for corporates / sponsors.

You'd think. 

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

There's plenty of parking within 10 minutes walk and there's tram stops along King Street as well as bus stops. 

One of the reasons I'll be taking the go train in instead of driving is because there is NOT nearly enough parking near the stadium.  I found that out going to watch the wolverines a few years back and the crowds were nowhere near what the Wolfpack pull.  Parking sucked 

People keep mentioning addition roofs like it's no big thing,  but that structure doesn't look like it was built to handle that at all. Unless people are okay with going very old school and having posts in front of the stands it would be relatively expensive.  And considerating they're almost selling it out as is, there wouldn't be any return on that money.

2 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

I understand that the council wouldn't be open to selling the entire ground, as it's a community facility, but is it not possible for the Wolfpack to pay for upgrades and buy a share of the stadium, like 50%?

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I understand that the council wouldn't be open to selling the entire ground, as it's a community facility, but is it not possible for the Wolfpack to pay for upgrades and buy a share of the stadium, like 50%?

Fair point. Ontario is "open for business" now

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

How necessary is the car park at the end John ? , And how willing would the council be to building on the ' green ' area's either side of the stands ?

The parking lot brings in revenue, and there is also a temporary homeless shelter built on it (taking up 75 of the parking spots); I think that will  be there for a few years. I have no idea how the city would feel about using up some of the surrounding space. I think the bigger obstacle is money. The Wolfpack (and I guess the Toronto Arrows of the MLR if I am allowed to mention another sport here) would be the major beneficiaries of most of the expansion/improvement ideas, so the city would likely expect those parties to pay for most of the work.

Toronto FC had a similar deal with the city for the improvements to BMO Field, and now they seem to control that stadium.

My priority would be anything that permits the team to play here earlier in the season!

Cosmetic things like painting and seat upgrades aren't expensive and should be done as part of operating costs..capital expenditures like a roof over the stands and screens will take squeezing the city for money and that is a tough one.

Agree the bathroom facilities for the ladies needs to be addressed - long lines of them yesterday, i advised them just to use the mens.

I just fear we would lose something if we moved to BMO - I find it a bit soul-less and WP would be the poor cousins to TFC and Argos.

We would lose beer garden and thats a no go to me.

46 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I just fear we would lose something if we moved to BMO - I find it a bit soul-less and WP would be the poor cousins to TFC and Argos.

We would lose beer garden and thats a no go to me.

I agree the beer garden is a deal-breaker, but surely that can be worked out somehow?

I don't mind being 3rd in line for dates; it's hard for me to understand how it can be so difficult to accommodate 3 teams playing a total of 45 or so games over 9 months. That's just over one game per week, meaning some weeks they would need to handle 2 of the teams playing the same week/weekend, but most weeks it would be only one of them. I think that would be making better use of the facility and sharing the expenses 3 ways instead of 2. 

I agree Lamport is more fun and intimate, but BMO is a really nice facility and it seems such a waste to put huge amounts of money into upgrading a second stadium so near by.

50 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

That an interesting take - considering BMO has been a huge improvement over the "soul-less" Rogers Centre for the Argos.

Never made it to the RC but have been to plenty of Rugby Canada, Ticats/Argos games and a TFC game at BMO and never really had any problem with it.

12 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

I agree the beer garden is a deal-breaker, but surely that can be worked out somehow?

I don't mind being 3rd in line for dates; it's hard for me to understand how it can be so difficult to accommodate 3 teams playing a total of 45 or so games over 9 months. That's just over one game per week, meaning some weeks they would need to handle 2 of the teams playing the same week/weekend, but most weeks it would be only one of them. I think that would be making better use of the facility and sharing the expenses 3 ways instead of 2. 

I agree Lamport is more fun and intimate, but BMO is a really nice facility and it seems such a waste to put huge amounts of money into upgrading a second stadium so near by.

Scheduling might be worked out between all the users here but then we have to get the SL to cooperate and it has been, shall we say, something of an issue with the RFL can we expect SL teams to be any easier to deal with??

Beergarden sacrosanct - if BMO won't play ball what then??  Food any better at BMO?  those cheesie dogs at Lamport really put me off and I love my grub!

Archived