Improvement Ideas for Toronto's Lamport Stadium

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TheReaper said:

People keep mentioning addition roofs like it's no big thing,  but that structure doesn't look like it was built to handle that at all. Unless people are okay with going very old school and having posts in front of the stands it would be relatively expensive.  And considerating they're almost selling it out as is, there wouldn't be any return on that money.

A ' floating ' roof could be built outside of the actual seating structure , cost isn't cheap but not necessarily difficult , but us it really necessary ? , A more formal hospitality facility would be more of a return on investment , which is why I asked about the car park , as really that's the simplest location 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

A ' floating ' roof could be built outside of the actual seating structure , cost isn't cheap but not necessarily difficult , but us it really necessary ? , A more formal hospitality facility would be more of a return on investment , which is why I asked about the car park , as really that's the simplest location 

BMO has 2 floating roofs. North American stadiums are weird 

A398E5BA-56AB-4970-A1AB-BB945A1A8A2F.jpeg

I think a quick and inexpensive win would be to paint over the other field  lines for each match. Wouldn’t solve the issue 100% but would look much better. 

Longer term, would love to see a stand built to the south in the parking lot. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Must just be to keep the sun off 

I think it was more cosmetic than functional as supporters wanted a roof but it didn’t do too much to keep the rain out when I was there. 

As someone mentioned, roofs just aren’t a thing in North America so I am not surprised that it doesn’t function very well. Just look at the roof on the south stand (right side of photo). 

2095D70E-E56E-4FD0-8AB6-0591EB6A9E85.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

I think it was more cosmetic than functional as supporters wanted a roof but it didn’t do too much to keep the rain out when I was there. 

As someone mentioned, roofs just aren’t a thing in North America so I am not surprised that it doesn’t function very well. Just look at the roof on the south stand (right side of photo). 

2095D70E-E56E-4FD0-8AB6-0591EB6A9E85.jpeg

I think it’s bizarre haha especially when you see pictures of people sat in the snow at Green Bay Packers

22 hours ago, PatrickB said:

Feel free to add any other ideas.

I have never been to the Lamport Stadium (although I would like to), so my comments relate only to what it looks like when seen on TV

No roofing over the stands seems odd to me, the spectators deserve a bit of protection from Rain, Snow, Windburn, Sunstroke etc. Other posters have said that this isn't unusual for NA, but I find it a bit off putting.

The Grey Concrete Walls are not a good look. I would paint them, or cover them in sponsors advertising boards, or apply a modern wall protection covering such as C/S Group Acrovin which can be made in weather proof panels,  with sublimated multiple colours, image's, club logo's etc. Several Soccer team's have used this as a durable and decorative embellishment around the traditional player tunnel exits etc.

I honestly wouldn't particularly be in favour of a roof. It would make early season games hard to get warm with no sun, and come summer is hard to beat sitting out in the sun with a beer - ideally with 7pm kickoffs when it's the dead heat of July / August. 

3 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

I think a quick and inexpensive win would be to paint over the other field  lines for each match. Wouldn’t solve the issue 100% but would look much better. 

Longer term, would love to see a stand built to the south in the parking lot. 

C ould work out nice.

10 hours ago, John WP Fan said:

Very true.

I am one of those who hopes we can move to BMO Field. I know Toronto FC doesn't want us, and there are beer issues, but those seems like problems that could be worked out.

Argyle has said he wants to stay at Lamport. I think he will need to spend most of the money needed for renovations if they are going to happen.

I think TWP should team up with YORK9 which is the new soccer team I think the team and fans would be easier to deal with then TFC.

2 200 there today for first Arrows RU game...

That won't be stretching the facilities. If only they'd thought of not making anyone pay, or cardboard cutouts...

Maybe people, for once, prefer RL? Outside Oz, PNG and the M62?

10 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

Where will people park without a parking lot? That's My concern 

11 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Yeah not really much room behind the sticks, unless they build on the car park 

94F7CCAD-913B-4C5E-BE00-2BF75DFD2E69.jpeg

Not anti-Toronto in any way by a long stretch but any rational intelligent human being who thinks that it is possible to fit 9600 into  those 12 blocks of 320-500 maximum is not a rational intelligent human being...

58 minutes ago, Jayme2020 said:

I think TWP should team up with YORK9 which is the new soccer team I think the team and fans would be easier to deal with then TFC.

York9 are, I think, basing themselves in York Region and intend to build their own stadium there.

TWP are downtown and would be silly to move. Can't see the two getting together

2 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Not anti-Toronto in any way by a long stretch but any rational intelligent human being who thinks that it is possible to fit 9600 into  those 12 blocks of 320-500 maximum is not a rational intelligent human being...

Parking lot is bigger then that but thanks for coming out.  

Also good public transport links (although not from my family home in Mississauga)

Ignorance is bliss

7 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

2 stands, 16 rows each is 32 rows between them.  9600 divided by 32 is 300 per row, or one person per metre of field, so yes 9600 would fit in that stadium not allowing for the 1000 or so in the beer garden, even if only just.

43 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

That won't be stretching the facilities. If only they'd thought of not making anyone pay, or cardboard cutouts...

That attendance figure can't be correct. According to Parky - who knows everything - everyone in Canada is only interested in RU.

26 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

2 stands, 16 rows each is 32 rows between them.  9600 divided by 32 is 300 per row, or one person per metre of field, so yes 9600 would fit in that stadium not allowing for the 1000 or so in the beer garden, even if only just.

As the poster above you put, ignorance is bliss. 

39 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Makes sense. Although you have to figure in yards not metres to allow for the aisles.

29 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

And considering that most stadium seats range from 19"-24" or so, its not even "just".

1 hour ago, dixiedean said:

Well I think the argument can be made that RL is an easier game to introduce to new fans - but lots of credit goes to the TWP marketing people too. They seem to know what they’re doing.

I don't know what the dressing rooms are like at Lamport, but I'm guessing they could be improved. I would also improve the media facilities. I think losing a few seats in the West stand would be worth it. A happy media helps sell the club. Better washrooms for both sponsors and regular fans. I have also seen some fans with seats that fit on benches to make them into regular seats. Selling those in the wolfpack store might be a money maker. I know it is fun to play hit the streetcar, but a better net to keep ball in the stadium would be good. I am just waiting for an accident on King at the moment. Roof on the stands, er... NO!!

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Don't look like they provide much cover from the rain , do they?

It’s important to remember that mls stadiums have roofs not just because of rain, but more importantly sun, seeing as it plays right through summer.

Archived