Improvement Ideas for Toronto's Lamport Stadium

Does anyone know any details of the new Scoreboard they are installing over the next month? Will it be a video scoreboard along the lines of what would be needed should they get promoted to SL?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, ojx said:

Does anyone know any details of the new Scoreboard they are installing over the next month? Will it be a video scoreboard along the lines of what would be needed should they get promoted to SL?

If it is TWP are paying for it. The City of Toronto can't afford to replace the burnt-out light bulbs in the old one.

3 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Haven't made it TD yet, what's wrong with the north side? Looks pretty alright on TV. Would be pretty complicated with the arena.

Its a old grand stand and the seats to the features are not modern.

On 07/05/2019 at 13:19, Jayme2020 said:

This is not limited to Toronto take Ottawa there is now some debate about replacing the North Stands why this is key is many thought it would have been smarter to build a brand new stadium.

They didn't have the same freedom to tear down the North Stand and start from scratch like the South since it is also the roof of the arena.

I suppose in some way having tradition will help build the atmosphere, TWP are still finding their feet but the match day chants and rituals take a long time to develop 

they have a chant about Hitting the Streetcar at one end when they kick for goal- why not it’s there ground and club to build how they see fit 

if the RL is only 50% of the reason people go to the ground does that matter? The whole matchday experience matters 

6 hours ago, TheDuke said:

I suppose in some way having tradition will help build the atmosphere, TWP are still finding their feet but the match day chants and rituals take a long time to develop 

they have a chant about Hitting the Streetcar at one end when they kick for goal- why not it’s there ground and club to build how they see fit 

if the RL is only 50% of the reason people go to the ground does that matter? The whole matchday experience matters 

Indeed, some RL fans are far too snobbish about the game and why people should watch it. I know plenty that watch other sports for the experience and social element primarily and this is nothing to complain about. They pay their money and take their choice the same as anyone else.

9 hours ago, Lamport Life said:

They didn't have the same freedom to tear down the North Stand and start from scratch like the South since it is also the roof of the arena.

Some thought they should have built. a brand new 30,000 seat stadium and a new 12,000 seat arena.

12 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Absolutely correct. 50%+ of the crowd at international rugby union games are going for the experience rather than the love of the sport, the percentage at darts would be even higher.

If it’s the same with Toronto so what, people are still attending RL and spreading the game into Canada, something almost nobody thought was possible 5 years ago. 

8 hours ago, Jayme2020 said:

Some thought they should have built. a brand new 30,000 seat stadium and a new 12,000 seat arena.

Clearly not the people who would have had to pay for it however.

16 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Its our first real crowd chant and then there is also a' "Lets Go Wolfpack Lets Go!" also...thats really it so far.  Everybody really enjoys the singing from the visiting fans...they always bring lots of atmosphere....everyone thinks its like the soccer games they see on TV from over there....part of the draw of the Wolfpack.

Introducing a whole new type of fan to the game over here....doing it in droves.

14 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Introducing a whole new type of fan to the game over here....doing it in droves.

That’s what it’s all about. Bringing in people who aren’t players/ex-players as most NA rugby crowds tend to be. Can’t grow a sport that way.

13 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Its our first real crowd chant and then there is also a' "Lets Go Wolfpack Lets Go!" also...thats really it so far.  Everybody really enjoys the singing from the visiting fans...they always bring lots of atmosphere....everyone thinks its like the soccer games they see on TV from over there....part of the draw of the Wolfpack.

I do think that is a big appeal of the WP to Canadian fans. An access to the European sporting culture is a ripe space in the market RL should take advantage of.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I do think that is a big appeal of the WP to Canadian fans. An access to the European sporting culture is a ripe space in the market RL should take advantage of.

Unlike the fans of the Auckland Blues a couple of years ago when my son was watching their match against the Hurricanes at Eden Park , the blues scored resulting in the home crowd all celebrating , and not noticing the score had been dissalowed , my son stood up turned to them and started chanting " sit down shut up , sit down shut up " , he quickly sat down when a large group of large local fans started to give him a ' death stare ' much to the amusement of his cousin's he was sat with ?

Soccer crowds in Toronto, in most MLS cities for that matter, seem very European, what with the banners and the singing, and away crowds are insignificant. Home fans generate their own enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Soccer crowds in Toronto, in most MLS cities for that matter, seem very European, what with the banners and the singing, and away crowds are insignificant. Home fans generate their own enthusiasm.

There was a fair sprinkling of NYRB fans when I went to watch TFC last season, but they weren’t grouped together in what would be the traditional sense over here. 

As you say, MLS crowds are very European with the co-ordinated singing, pyro etc. That’s not something that has ever caught on in English football and is similarly reflected by RL fans, with any chanting generally sparked by what is happening on the field rather than being a constant regardless of the game. 

1 hour ago, winnyason said:

So had a bit of a look at major league rugby crowds. Toronto well exceeds any of those teams crowds. 

When they have a home game, the Wolfpack exceeds the entire sum of the MLR attendances figures for that week.

7 hours ago, ojx said:

When they have a home game, the Wolfpack exceeds the entire sum of the MLR attendances figures for that week.

To me this us very significant. I had a look of major rugby numbers and the wolfpack are making traction. There mainstream in the city. No doubt step is getting kids playing game and locals in side. 

The fine line here is not over do the usa thing as i imagine ny and ottawa are going to be full of uk and down under imports. I do ottawa next year and new york in 2021. 

On 09/05/2019 at 12:40, Damien said:

Indeed, some RL fans are far too snobbish about the game and why people should watch it. I know plenty that watch other sports for the experience and social element primarily and this is nothing to complain about. They pay their money and take their choice the same as anyone else.

It's the attitude of fans like you mention that put people off coming. The "you can't come if you don't know the rules" crowd becomes the "you can't come if you don't know the players" becomes "you're not a real fan unless you've supported the club for 30 years and had to ###### in a trough at the back of the stand".

Eventually people think "what's the point in being around bitter negative nancies like that" and don't bother coming.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2019 at 07:51, Jayme2020 said:

Who thought that? I never saw any reports of an alternative plan to build from scratch, either on the Landsdowne site or another site.

A bigger arena makes no sense because it's already more than big enough for the 67's and any concert too big for TD Place Arena would just go the CTC. A 30,000 seat stadium also made no sense since the plan all along was a more intimate venue than the old Frank Clair Stadium capacity.

Archived