Blast from the past.

Seaton Sandy

1 hour ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Sure, Rizzo had a punishing brand of defence that opponents didn't relish. Our paths still cross occasionally when he drops into Carlisle from whichever exotic location he is dwelling in! Think it was Capri last time I heard. 

David Collister had a similar "uncompromising" approach to policing on the edge! Apparently it was no urban myth that the first question visiting opponents asked was "Is Collister playing?". I can still see that gap-toothed grin when Shemmy dumped somebody over the touch line. ?

was no myth ?

Absolutely outstanding profile on Hepi in the RLE . Really great read bringing back great memories of the time and of probably the toughest competitor pound for pound I’ve seen here 

20 hours ago, yanto said:

was no myth ?

Don't be forgetting how good you were too marra...I still can recall hearing the late great Ron Morgan stating, on Radio Cumbria, how good you were when  he summed up a Town win at DP...even so far as saying he hadn't seen a better centre that season in our division....it's true he said it.

19 minutes ago, Old standoff said:

Don’t come any better in the day with a shortage of caps than  local lad Sol Roper in my opinion.

Yep great player was Sol......another to get short change in the international stakes...from the same era as Sol...was mighty prop Bill Martin..very fast for such a big guy.

15 hours ago, Chrome Dome said:

Don't be forgetting how good you were too marra...I still can recall hearing the late great Ron Morgan stating, on Radio Cumbria, how good you were when  he summed up a Town win at DP...even so far as saying he hadn't seen a better centre that season in our division....it's true he said it.

Ha Ha   cheers marra.

In my early years defend was the last thing I had to do.

As Rizzo would say " you do our running young man (in his school teacher manner) and if anything gets past you they wont get any further.

Rizzo inside me ,Shemmy outside and Charlo behind me..No problems what so ever ?

Three great defensive players and a privilage to have played with them.

4 hours ago, yanto said:

Ha Ha   cheers marra.

In my early years defence was the last thing I had to do.

As Rizzo would say " you do our running young man (in his school teacher manner) and if anything gets past you they wont get any further.

Rizzo inside me ,Shemmy outside and Charlo behind me..No problems what so ever ?

Three great defendsive players and a privilage to have played with them.

That's exactly how Rizzo talks to this very day. In recent years he has been involved in Rugby League in Scotland and much further afield in Eastern Europe as " mentor" as he describes it!

Archived