1895 Trophy

youngun

Surprised that there's no mention of this on the Rams website............. Is it not something we're that bothered about ??   A brand new competition, with a more realistic chance of a Wembley appearance .......... Doesn't augur well if we've so little interest......

Not much discussion on the forums, very little publicity from the Rugby League. No sponsorship of the competition and the match played after the cup final when all the Wembley officials will be wanting to get home for tea. The RL will not be wanting a Batley/Dewsbury final so the teams will have to put that bit extra effort in to get there. I will probably be making the trip to Wembley again (to participate in Batley Bulldogs sponsored walk from Bronco,s to Wembley in aid of breast cancer research).

So it is up to the club's to sell the competition and if the same enthusiasm is shown as it is for the Blackpool Bash then I cannot see the competition lasting very long.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

2 hours ago, Rambo said:

As a curtain raiser to the main event it’s a great idea. If it’s played after the challenge cup final then that’s crazy.

Surely it’s the curtain raiser?? Please tell me it’s so. I have a low enough opinion of the powers that be as it is. 

No after the main event, which means a couple of thousand in an 86,000 stadium...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, Piggy's mate said:

No after the main event, which means a couple of thousand in an 86,000 stadium...

I would be very interested to learn the logic behind this crazy decision!!  I can't think of a reason why playing after the main event is a good idea!!  ... for me maybe rescheduling for the final to kick off at 4 might have been best ....but this crazy plan is open to so many problems .... As PM says it will be played in an almost empty stadium ... the losers fans go home usually on the whistle and don't wait for the presentation, the winners fans celebrate loudly encouraging a lap of honour ... many then go to the nearest watering hole..... the lap of honour is spontaneous and could last for over 30 minutes, so how can they schedule a kick off time without curtailing the spontenuity ....not withstanding the logistics issues of trains busses etc ... I bet they are also planning to  close the bars and eateries inside the stadium at the usual time too!!  

I suppose they are worried that the pitch won't stand up to the two games and the TV showpiece might not be played on a pristine pitch.... such a shame this could have been the blueprint for the future and could have put extra bums on seats throughout the day ....I go every year and its obvious to me that the attendances are diminishing ... I also guess the 1895 cup wont be televised as the sponsors would not want an empty Wembley on the TV  ... Hmm as a player what would I feel like playing at Wembley infront of a couple of thousand fans and not being televised!

Then again we may have got it wrong and it might be the curtain raiser to a magnificent day of Rugby League in front of a packed Wembley crowd!!  Hmmm .... I wonder if it turns out to be the Bulls v Widnes ... then they might have some ticketing issues also! .... it appears to be the usual RFL back of a fag packet strategy! 

No its definitely after the final, read this on another forum. Might be concerns about the pitch, but think "logistics was quoted" whatever that means. The RFL/Wembley have managed to turn a great idea into an embarrassing non-event. It will be like the last runners in the London Marathon where everyone is clearing up around them waiting for them to finish so they can go home. You really couldn't make it up.

14 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

I would be very interested to learn the logic behind this crazy decision!!  I can't think of a reason why playing after the main event is a good idea!!  ... for me maybe rescheduling for the final to kick off at 4 might have been best ....but this crazy plan is open to so many problems .... As PM says it will be played in an almost empty stadium ... the losers fans go home usually on the whistle and don't wait for the presentation, the winners fans celebrate loudly encouraging a lap of honour ... many then go to the nearest watering hole..... the lap of honour is spontaneous and could last for over 30 minutes, so how can they schedule a kick off time without curtailing the spontenuity ....not withstanding the logistics issues of trains busses etc ... I bet they are also planning to  close the bars and eateries inside the stadium at the usual time too!!  

I suppose they are worried that the pitch won't stand up to the two games and the TV showpiece might not be played on a pristine pitch.... such a shame this could have been the blueprint for the future and could have put extra bums on seats throughout the day ....I go every year and its obvious to me that the attendances are diminishing ... I also guess the 1895 cup wont be televised as the sponsors would not want an empty Wembley on the TV  ... Hmm as a player what would I feel like playing at Wembley infront of a couple of thousand fans and not being televised!

Then again we may have got it wrong and it might be the curtain raiser to a magnificent day of Rugby League in front of a packed Wembley crowd!!  Hmmm .... I wonder if it turns out to be the Bulls v Widnes ... then they might have some ticketing issues also! .... it appears to be the usual RFL back of a fag packet strategy! 

I am as dismayed as many by this decision but, if you have read the publicity over the past few weeks (yes, there has been a fair amount) you might understand that the decision about timing was taken out of the RFL's hands, by both Wembley Stadium PLC and the BBC. The RFL had originally planned this as a curtain-raiser but the other parties wouldn't agree to this for their own, logical reasons.

Sadly, this competition was thrown together as a sop to non-SL clubs following the SL takeover and was not thought through to any degree. It could have the makings of a good competition but required more long-term planning; not something that the RFL are known for at present.

Whoever progresses in the competition will have the warm glow of success amongst their fans to balance out the feelings of dismay when they realise just how much money they will have lost in the process.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

This competition was designed first and foremost to try to put bums on seats at what has become the annual embarrassment of The Challenge Cup Final. That said it was a great idea for the second tier clubs, an idea that was instantly ruined by the decision to play the final after the CC Final. I guess The Rams or Fax will just have to make the main final to make the trip down to Wembley a proper day out. ? See you all on Friday❗??‍♂️

On 06/05/2019 at 22:12, Therein73 said:

Surprised that there's no mention of this on the Rams website............. Is it not something we're that bothered about ??   A brand new competition, with a more realistic chance of a Wembley appearance .......... Doesn't augur well if we've so little interest......

Steven put it on the site on Sunday and it's linked from the front page:  https://dewsburyrams.co.uk/2019/05/05/home-tie-vs-lions-in-1895-cup/

It's not on the fixtures page yet because a date hasn't been agreed.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I'd rather we just play all our fringe players, lose and avoid a midweek fixture which isn't going to do us any favours. As far as I know there's no prize money and we have no chance of winning it. If there was a complete fluke, getting to play in an empty Wembley after the final, when everyone has gone except for 3-4000 fans, it'll will just be more cost the club cannot afford.

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

To be honest I'd rather we just play all our fringe players, lose and avoid a midweek fixture which isn't going to do us any favours. As far as I know there's no prize money and we have no chance of winning it. If there was a complete fluke, getting to play in an empty Wembley after the final, when everyone has gone except for 3-4000 fans, it'll will just be more cost the club cannot afford.

Our focus and No1 priority has to be championship survival. 

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

On 05/05/2019 at 18:12, youngun said:

Swinton at Home

Is this game included with our season tickets? If not I can't wait to see what the attendance is...

It's all pay on the day

Won't take long to count 

375-425 art tops

Regardless of playing the final at a empty Wembley stadium for no prize money and the next round is midweek

A early exit sounds the best option so we can concentrate on the league and fight for survival.

That would be the common sense approach for me,use the game to find someone who fancys a crack at halfback because we need some inspiration in that position.

4 hours ago, coolie said:

It's all pay on the day

Won't take long to count 

375-425 art tops

Regardless of playing the final at a empty Wembley stadium for no prize money and the next round is midweek

A early exit sounds the best option so we can concentrate on the league and fight for survival.

That would be the common sense approach for me,use the game to find someone who fancys a crack at halfback because we need some inspiration in that position.

I agree in most of what you say,but surely it would be better to beat Swinton so we go into Rochdale game on back of a win. I agree with the halfback,give Oscar Thomas a go can’t be any worse from what we are seeing.

Archived