Wolfpack RL & Arrows RU

RobertAM

Arrows through to the semi-final! Thanks to a late Sam Malcolm drop goal to put us ahead by 2. Unfortunately not enough to sneak into second and a home semi, but I'm just glad we're in!

On 03/06/2019 at 00:00, TheReaper said:

Arrows through to the semi-final! Thanks to a late Sam Malcolm drop goal to put us ahead by 2. Unfortunately not enough to sneak into second and a home semi, but I'm just glad we're in!

It was a great game and a well deserved Toronto win.  I guess they drew about 3 000 at Lamport which is pretty good at this time. Its clear that Lamport is where they want to play too.

On 04/06/2019 at 15:52, Kayakman said:

It was a great game and a well deserved Toronto win.  I guess they drew about 3 000 at Lamport which is pretty good at this time. Its clear that Lamport is where they want to play too.

As I've been saying, both clubs need to work on developing Lamport as their permanent home.

6 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

As I've been saying, both clubs need to work on developing Lamport as their permanent home.

Think the Union guys will cause trouble with the League guys over booking times?

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Think the Union guys will cause trouble with the League guys over booking times?

MLR season finishes so early that there is only a little cross over.

Both teams really need to lean on the City of Toronto to remove the dome much earlier in the year.

Arrows lost their semi-final game on Sunday vs. Seattle 30-17 so their season is done.

There's no way of knowing but I wonder if any of the Arrows might be curious about doing some training with the Wolfpack now that the latter have moved to Toronto for the last half of their season. I'm sure TWP pays better than TA.

I think the Kiwis are going to head back to play ITM cup in the fall, possibly that connection ( and Hurricanes being a partner club) could see some of the guys headed over that way. It would also be a good time of year to try to get picked up in Europe.

Or NFL, Tristan Blewett from NOLA got invited to Saints mini-camp.

That's who I was talking about, some may go to NZ with Malcolm and Mitchell, or Europe. Although, world cup prep probably takes precedence for those who make the training squad. A good showing ay the WC may also help get some contracts.

I think it would be up to TWP to approach any players they  may be interested in. The Arrows guys will be focused at trying to get to the top of their own sport. 

Seattle beat San Diego to win the MLR championship in a very entertaining game broadcast by CBS.

New York and Austin are supposedly in financial trouble.  

The New York backer supposedly doesn't have enough money to run the team for another season.

The CEO of Austin has resigned and he is also the financial backer and has proven to be unpopular with the local rugby community in Austin.  Austin also has very poor attendance.

Austin isn't a surprise, but NY is news to me. Hopefully they can figure it out, they were very competitive and a pretty natural rival for Toronto. If they can figure out a better venue that would go a long way. Don't know enough about Gaelic park, but it's 2000 capacity is higher than NY's average this year so could be reasonable. 

Dallas is supposedly a paid up member, maybe we see them take over Austin's franchise?

Anyway, hell of an end to a damn entertaining season. Crazy last 5 minutes to the championship game. In the end I'm glad it was Seattle with their Canadian contingent, even though they knocked us out in the semi.

And, it's not all bad news, supposedly over half a million people watched the final on CBS. Definitely not astronomical but a solid number,  hopefully it encourages CBS to put more games on the main channel.

On 18/06/2019 at 17:49, CanadianRugger said:

New York and Austin are supposedly in financial trouble.  

The New York backer supposedly doesn't have enough money to run the team for another season.

The CEO of Austin has resigned and he is also the financial backer and has proven to be unpopular with the local rugby community in Austin.  Austin also has very poor attendance.

Actually that turned out to be completely false and the NY owner has come out and said he is fully committed to the team, makes sense as why else would they be splashing the cash on Bastareaud for next season. He also says the team will be playing in another location next season. It's good to see the league get off to a good start and 500k viewers for the final is incredibly good. I really want to see another Canadian team though.

Edit: here is the interview with Kennedy the RUNY owner

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jun/17/seattle-major-league-rugby-mlr?CMP=share_btn_tw

Kennedy indicated an imponderable of any league – the question of money, who has it and who doesn’t – when he responded to a Rugby Today report which said he had run out of cash.

“We are very well financed,” he said, “and have been entertaining investment offers for the last year and a half.”

On 20/06/2019 at 13:44, Keith989 said:

Actually that turned out to be completely false and the NY owner has come out and said he is fully committed to the team, makes sense as why else would they be splashing the cash on Bastareaud for next season. He also says the team will be playing in another location next season. It's good to see the league get off to a good start and 500k viewers for the final is incredibly good. I really want to see another Canadian team though.

Edit: here is the interview with Kennedy the RUNY owner

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jun/17/seattle-major-league-rugby-mlr?CMP=share_btn_tw

Kennedy indicated an imponderable of any league – the question of money, who has it and who doesn’t – when he responded to a Rugby Today report which said he had run out of cash.

“We are very well financed,” he said, “and have been entertaining investment offers for the last year and a half.”

Good to hear, I thought it was weird when I read that rumour on Planet Rugby and thought:

"How can this be, they just signed Mathieu Bastareaud?"

I thinl a few MLR teams will probably disappear but the League seems like it will be a success.

3 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Good to hear, I thought it was weird when I read that rumour on Planet Rugby and thought:

"How can this be, they just signed Mathieu Bastareaud?"

I thinl a few MLR teams will probably disappear but the League seems like it will be a success.

They got through the first year and next year will probably make or break it to be fair.

Archived