stewards

The Lad

The game today was a hard watch at time but it was made even worse by the small groupe of Featherstone Rovers fans that where drunk shouting obscenities at players calling them w****r, c***s, f*****g disgrace. And after the game supposedly threatened people walking out. All while the stewards did nothing but look up at them and talk amongst themselves, what is the point in them being there if they do nothing?.

This small but extremely irritating band of idiots persisted in their moronic behaviour throughout the game without any action being taken by the stewards who stood in close enough proximity to clearly hear an see everything. In the second half they verbally abused Scott Moore in particular making constant reference to the well documented personal issues he faced last year. The highly abusive and foul language used by this chanting sub species was totally unacceptable and I am sure that Scott could not have helped but hear their vile invective which may well have affected his concentration and it certainly appeared so later in the game. Yes he needs to be resilient against this type of barracking but there are limits! 

I am certain that this behaviour would not have been tolerated at any Superleague game but our stewards do not appear to be physically capable of evicting a group of potentially dangerous yobs. One steward did approach them in the second half but appeared to be having quite a jovial chat and they just laughed at him and carried on with their tirade of abuse. In fairness even some of more moderately behaved Fev fans did expresss their disapproval but they too appeared intimidated by the yobs.

All in all not a good afternoon and the irritation caused by the Fev minority of challenged “fans” combined with an abject performance from Hornets made me question my sanity in continuing to make the 100 mile round trip to watch this type of mis-match. At least Matt and Dave now know the immensity of the challenges ahead. Probably seen too many of these in over 50 years of support but hey ho we can only live in hope of a miracle.

In the past at Oldham, we've had similar experiences with a section of fev fan's. In the main they are fine. I suppose the authorities could give the ref the powers to halt the game until the offending fans wound their necks in and enjoyed the game like the rest of us. Doing this would pit the minuscule minority against the rest of the genuine rugby league fans. They'd probably shut up. 

That`s why you need police or proper security guards at matches. The word "steward" to me implies that they direct you to your seat and that`s about it. We all know you can`t reason with louts who are p****d,so if was a steward I certainly wouldn`t be too fussed in confronting these idiots. Do stewards have the power of arrest,or can they legally manhandle people out of the ground? No matter,it`s not nice to have to put up with this kind of rubbish especially if you have wives or daughters with you and Featherstone Rovers should sort this out themselves.

Sorry to hear this the game needs more promotion not idiots spoiling it for all concerned , normal service will be resumed this weekend as York bring a loud but respectful following .

Really sorry that many had their afternoon spoiled by other than the result. Unfortunately Fev, as do a few other clubs, have a minority of 'fans' who attend matches and cannot behave in an acceptable manner and believe that you can't 'enjoy' a game without getting totally 'blathered'. RL clubs, in general, seem to be far too tolerant of such behaviour and until that changes the problem will persist. I'm pretty sure that the law allows (requires?) drunks to be stopped from entering football grounds, and would be surprised if it didn't apply to our sport too, but it never seems to be enforced. Fortunately (for me) I didn't see or hear any of them in the ground but as we drove out of the car park saw what looked like a few folk giving some stewards a hard time. 

Unfortunately Fev, as do a few other clubs, have a minority of 'fans' who attend matches and cannot behave in an acceptable manner

Surely, if these idiots are known, it cannot be too hard to identity them by cameras and/or confront them directly with the law at the time and thereafter?  Ideally name & shame them & ban them sine die.  These incidents can too quickly escalate placing innocents at risk and ruining the family nature of rugby league.

1 hour ago, glemiln said:

Surely, if these idiots are known, it cannot be too hard to identity them by cameras and/or confront them directly with the law at the time and thereafter?  Ideally name & shame them & ban them sine die.  These incidents can too quickly escalate placing innocents at risk and ruining the family nature of rugby league.

As I said above: "RL clubs, in general, seem to be far too tolerant of such behaviour". Perhaps the question as to why they were apparently allowed to behave as they did without challenge from the ground staff needs to be asked of/by your own Club?

Lifetime bans should be the order of the day across the game. Before long it'll be like soccer and we don't want that.It is a miniscule minority but it needs sorting before it gets out of control. It's not just one club, it needs the game not to tolerate this type of behaviour. As I said the ref should stop the game if they start being stupid.

One steward should be fitted with a camera like they do in football and any incidents or foul and abusive behavior should be handed over to the police. I didn't think i would be saying this in our game. I am disabled and have been abused by foul mouth idiots at a few grounds and it needs to stop now before it gets out of control. I enjoy my visits to Rochdale and have always been made very welcome, i went up in the lift so didn't see any of this but it shouldn't be tolarated. In my opinion i don't think a steward should risk his or her saftey if there is a few of them but i do think they should call in the police for us genuine supporters saftey.

Archived