Coventry

Spike

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, BlueVintheblood said:

I would say the club need you more than at any point under Leon. 

I agree , we owe it to those who do put it all in to keep the faith. Stevie Scholey is the benchmark week in week out and there are others who give it their all in a siege situation who deserve to have some recognition. For myself, I will keep making the pilgrimage to DP as long as the club put a side out .I have known worse times as all long suffering Townies will recall but very occasionally we rise from the swamp and do great things !  Unlike our near neighbours we have a trophy room worthy of the name and given our pedigree and some loyalty we can rise from the ashes ! UTT!!

I’ve just watched match of the day and could put a Liverpool and Man Utd analogy to this.

United (Town) assembled a squad of players with big reputations that won’t have been cheap (and on paper should’ve been one of the top 2 teams in the league) but had a coach that was that far up his own backside he was almost inside out. This lead to dissent amongst the players who in turn became demotivated to the point they under performed in games resulting in the egotistical coach losing his job.

Liverpool (Haven) assembled a cheaper squad but had a coach who instilled a desire within the players to stick together and win games. They didn’t finish top but had a good go at it and finished higher than their spending suggested they should.

United now find themselves in a position whereby they need a clear out of some of the overpaid players who don’t give value for money and aren’t really playing for the club.

Town may do well to follow suit.

42 minutes ago, GeordieTownie said:

I’ve just watched match of the day and could put a Liverpool and Man Utd analogy to this.

United (Town) assembled a squad of players with big reputations that won’t have been cheap (and on paper should’ve been one of the top 2 teams in the league) but had a coach that was that far up his own backside he was almost inside out. This lead to dissent amongst the players who in turn became demotivated to the point they under performed in games resulting in the egotistical coach losing his job.

Liverpool (Haven) assembled a cheaper squad but had a coach who instilled a desire within the players to stick together and win games. They didn’t finish top but had a good go at it and finished higher than their spending suggested they should.

United now find themselves in a position whereby they need a clear out of some of the overpaid players who don’t give value for money and aren’t really playing for the club.

Town may do well to follow suit.

And there the tortuous analogy endeth.......Manchester United have the financial clout to address the personnel and managerial issues on a blank cheque basis . In comparison Town are pretty much unable to fund a vessel in which to urinate.If Charlo is Jurgen Klopp I must have missed something......

6 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

And there the tortuous analogy endeth.......Manchester United have the financial clout to address the personnel and managerial issues on a blank cheque basis . In comparison Town are pretty much unable to fund a vessel in which to urinate.If Charlo is Jurgen Klopp I must have missed something......

It’s the principal you clown hence the use of the term analogy.

United DON’T have an open cheque book, wait until their quarterly results come out. Their financial clout is dependant on their success because of the leverage on the business. You don’t give me lessons in Latin and I won’t give you lessons in business and finance. There’s a good boy ?

1 hour ago, GeordieTownie said:

United DON’T have an open cheque book, wait until their quarterly results come out. Their financial clout is dependant on their success because of the leverage on the business. You don’t give me lessons in Latin and I won’t give you lessons in business and finance. There’s a good boy ?

Fight,fight,fight ?

At the start of the season we were title contenders, now not so much ? how many false dawns have we actually had?  Isn't sport nuts how even after all these years you do believe ?

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

I wasn't at Coventry so can't comment on the performance but it was obviously disappointing.

So if there is a clear out, where are the replacement players going to be magically appear from, as loan deals from Super League or Championship clubs will just be plugging the hole until the next crisis.  

What I will say is that the new coach will have learnt about the character of the players over his two games in charge, but let's not be disrespectful to Coventry as they have improved ten fold over the last few years and these expansionist clubs are closing the gap on the traditional clubs year on year.

I personally would rather the club took a long term approach to get the foundations in place, Super League players looking for one last pay day aren't necessarily a bad thing as long as they add experience to the squad

It is so very sad that what could have been a very good season has degenerated into this complete and utter fiasco. After the fine season last year, increased early attendances and a winning start we should have been looking to kick on. However for whatever reason the foundations, such as they were, have gone and we are left with very little. I do not have a clue what has gone on within the club, but looking on companies house Les Ashe resigned as a director at the same time the coach went, there are more cryptic tweets than enough being put out by an ex member of the staff and the results are there to see. Through all this the one entity that is suffering badly is my beloved club. Whatever has gone on is in the past, everyone associated with the club now need to pull in the same direction. If certain players don’t have the stomach for the fight let them go. We have recruited an excellent coach who if given the right tools to work with will produce results. Injuries have certainly contributed to our current situation but we should never have started a season with so little cover in the backs. Let’s hope things start to be rectified and pride in wearing the blue and white returns. UTT

15 hours ago, townie88 said:

Well after watching that. Skating the backline might be the wrong thing to do (although we are still weak)

Majority of the tries came right through the middle. With sloppy, slow defending. Just seem to fall off them! Should be a thing that is easily repaired if we can get bodies training

Not sure about that thought the 'backs' missed just as many and thought our lack of pace was cruelly exposed. Once one tackle was broken that was it no one was going to catch them. Singletons defence a big miss and Miller would have slammed some of those breaks for sure. At least Fieldhouse has had a run out. We need a couple of centres but where from?

13 hours ago, RLfan99 said:

Need to bring in someone who will lift the team and lead from the front on the field. Wilkes will be big miss

Why what do you know about Olly's injury, I got the impression from the radio that he went off with a head injury, which is now standard practice. Let's get behind the new coach who has stated that Saturday's performance was not acceptable - unfortunately a change in fortune may take some time. UTT.

27 minutes ago, DocH said:

Fieldhouse has had a run out.

Indeed . Poor guy got left with no chance though with those efforts in front of him . That’s the worrying thing really , the commitment to defence which we prided ourselves on has disintegrated . We’re having to score a bagful to have a chance

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . Poor guy got left with no chance though with those efforts in front of him . That’s the worrying thing really , the commitment to defence which we prided ourselves on has disintegrated . We’re having to score a bagful to have a chance

And without any backs! But to be honest, even when our first choice backs were present our attack was  lacklustre to say the  least, 

The problem  has been obvious all season right from Doncaster game, forwards making yards for fun then poor choices and end sets let us down. 

13 hours ago, anok4u said:

I think the players really need to take a look at themselves and the damage they've done to the club! Just when crowds were growing and people started to believe again..

If they have anything about them, they will knuckle down, work hard and it may take 2-3 week but 1 thing that must happen is to get tighter in defence and start there and that's down to attitude and teamwork. 

Sometimes you just need guided to a better path. I think we will turn this around, lets start by giving it to Hunslet. 

UTT. 

4 hours ago, GeordieTownie said:

Forgive me for overlooking that you are a former player with an enormous portfolio. I suspect that you are really Lord Sugar and I claim my £5........Oh hang on ,that was Chalky White wasn't it.........?   Fear not I won't reach for the Latin( analogy is actually from the Greek). Perhaps my error was in using the word "tortuous" when "ludicrous" would have been more appropriate.      Nevertheless you may take comfort in the knowledge that you are in famous company when it comes to amusingly silly analogies----- Forrest Gump will always be remembered for " Life is like a box of chocolates".............?

17 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Fear not I won't reach for the Latin( analogy is actually from the Greek)

My brain cell missed that 'Latin' stuff...............although it would have all been Greek to me.

And I've never fully understood that  'box of chocolates' analogy....because any boxes I've opened include the 'menu' inside so I choose the ones I like???

52 minutes ago, Onreport said:

And without any backs! But to be honest, even when our first choice backs were present our attack was  lacklustre to say the  least, 

The problem  has been obvious all season right from Doncaster game, forwards making yards for fun then poor choices and end sets let us down. 

There were two loose passes for tries from Farrell on Saturday and Doran hasto say the least been disappointing. Playing a team who like to move the ball on a wide pitch with a team full of forwards was a recipe for disaster. 

36 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

There were two loose passes for tries from Farrell on Saturday and Doran hasto say the least been disappointing. Playing a team who like to move the ball on a wide pitch with a team full of forwards was a recipe for disaster. 

Hard to disagree Jamie looks very unfit at the minute and tries to do everything himself at times.

Also have to say I have not been impressed by Farrell so far, lacks enthusiasm for me, but having said that, we have played him out of position and of course its early days,  so I hope he shows some improvement soon, After all if he wants to play,  then surely he will for this coach?

4 hours ago, IanMac said:

It is so very sad that what could have been a very good season has degenerated into this complete and utter fiasco. After the fine season last year, increased early attendances and a winning start we should have been looking to kick on. However for whatever reason the foundations, such as they were, have gone and we are left with very little. I do not have a clue what has gone on within the club, but looking on companies house Les Ashe resigned as a director at the same time the coach went, there are more cryptic tweets than enough being put out by an ex member of the staff and the results are there to see. Through all this the one entity that is suffering badly is my beloved club. Whatever has gone on is in the past, everyone associated with the club now need to pull in the same direction. If certain players don’t have the stomach for the fight let them go. We have recruited an excellent coach who if given the right tools to work with will produce results. Injuries have certainly contributed to our current situation but we should never have started a season with so little cover in the backs. Let’s hope things start to be rectified and pride in wearing the blue and white returns. UTT

How is it a fiasco? Lets have some perspective. Also Ash had took a step back, it was in the paper. Ex member of staff was let go. He's not gona show love is he

51 minutes ago, GentlemanJim said:

Looks like Forster to Haven signing announcement later. I thought they held on to his player registration after the beginning of this season? #buildlocal

Building local has worked so far for Haven the only lads who live outside of Cumbria are the winger & centre unlike town who’s travellers couldn’t care less about town just hear for a final payday. 

Archived