Coventry

Spike

No point playing the blame game now. We are where we are and have to make do with what's available.

Some of the previous board have stood down, and now its the turn of the remaining board to re-evaluate the playing staff and gradually get shot of the chaff, which I sure will be well in hand.

Most fans would be in agreement that this squad of players would struggle in the Championship, so why not use the remainder of this season to identify potential local players who may make the grade and ask them to train one night a week with the club's first team. This would given them a feel of the place and also give the club's coaches the opportunity to have a closer look at the players.

There's several juniors who could possibly make the step up given the opportunity and an arrangement such as this would give the amateur player the chance to test the semi-pro surroundings, whilst still being available for weekend selection at his junior club. 

One thing is for certain, no player wants to be signed to sit about on the touch line - aka Clayton Sutton and numerous others before him. 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

No point playing the blame game now. We are where we are and have to make do with what's available.

Some of the previous board have stood down, and now its the turn of the remaining board to re-evaluate the playing staff and gradually get shot of the chaff, which I sure will be well in hand.

Most fans would be in agreement that this squad of players would struggle in the Championship, so why not use the remainder of this season to identify potential local players who may make the grade and ask them to train one night a week with the club's first team. This would given them a feel of the place and also give the club's coaches the opportunity to have a closer look at the players.

There's several juniors who could possibly make the step up given the opportunity and an arrangement such as this would give the amateur player the chance to test the semi-pro surroundings, whilst still being available for weekend selection at his junior club. 

One thing is for certain, no player wants to be signed to sit about on the touch line - aka Clayton Sutton and numerous others before him. 

Yes there is a few young players that could make the grade, but majority are already tied up with other  pro clubs, and neither Town  or Haven have never had a  good track record with looking after youngsters  at the clubs, especially  with the scholarship projects, they will require someone at the  club that can just concentrate on youth development.

17 minutes ago, JMB said:

Yes there is a few young players that could make the grade, but majority are already tied up with other  pro clubs, and neither Town  or Haven have never had a  good track record with looking after youngsters  at the clubs, especially  with the scholarship projects, they will require someone at the  club that can just concentrate on youth development.

I'm suggesting the players are identified and just train with the club at this stage and play for their own amateur club as usual. The downside to only having one side is young players very rarely get a look in. As you have pointed out neither Town or Haven have a great track record, but in fairness that's due to circumstances and the RFL's decision to do away with the A team leagues a few years ago, giving all semi-pro clubs limited opportunities to blood younger players

4 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I'm suggesting the players are identified and just train with the club at this stage and play for their own amateur club as usual. The downside to only having one side is young players very rarely get a look in. As you have pointed out neither Town or Haven have a great track record, but in fairness that's due to circumstances and the RFL's decision to do away with the A team leagues a few years ago, giving all semi-pro clubs limited opportunities to blood younger players

Both Haven and Town have had numerous opportunity's to push youth development programmes, and it cant be blamed on the rfl, both clubs have always  looked to buy success instead of growing  it from the bottom up, both clubs have now been overtaken by Newcastle Thunder,  we have players from both Allerdale and Copeland traveling over to the northeast training and playing for the Thunder youth teams,  how sad.

Haven are looking  to announce some new programme for the youth in the county, but cant see it being a success as the local amateur clubs don't trust them.

Missed the boat I'm afraid, the talented youngsters going out of the county to clubs like Newcastle was highlighted a couple of years back ,remember a question at a fans forum about youth development  and players getting into schools etc was brushed aside by Leon, and as they say "we are where we are!"

1 hour ago, JMB said:

Both Haven and Town have had numerous opportunity's to push youth development programmes, and it cant be blamed on the rfl, both clubs have always  looked to buy success instead of growing  it from the bottom up, both clubs have now been overtaken by Newcastle Thunder,  we have players from both Allerdale and Copeland traveling over to the northeast training and playing for the Thunder youth teams,  how sad.

Haven are looking  to announce some new programme for the youth in the county, but cant see it being a success as the local amateur clubs don't trust them.

I think all the talk of starting an academy team is pie in the sky the running costs will be enormous and they struggle to get their sums right for the first team. We would all love to start one but I can't see it happening. 

22 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

I honestly can't see where they will come from. 

I share that concern. At this stage of the season quality recruits are like rocking horse sh*t. The default position is to assess who from the current squad are still on board and willing to put their shoulders to the wheel. Everything after that will be a bonus. I wasn't at Coventry so can't judge but the League Express gave Scott Rooke as m.o.m. I give maximum raps to Scottie coming back from an injury trauma that would have ended some guys involvement in the game. Hopefully with Buffer back and Ryan Fieldhouse easing himself back into the side we can do the business on Sunday. I'll be there to see if we can.

Would you sign or try to sign Forster into a squad thats top heavy with forwards or would you keep working on recruiting to balance the squad in the areas its weakened by injury even if that takes a bit of time? Can't have an approach where you just sign because their available imo. 

Im sure the clubs working hard on recruiting and using any budget wisely. 

Be good to have Forber back, tried and trusted, hopefully Mellor back soon too and surely were due a bit of luck injury wise. 3 outside backs and our fullback who was looking great in pre season is tough going. 

We gotta get down DP and stay with the team, maybe we can lift them 

UTT

At the start of the season it was obvious We were  always going to need luck with injuries and unfortunately we have had none. But as we all know RL is a squad game and we have to get on with it and l see no reason why we can't get back to winning ways on sunday UTT.

2 hours ago, BlueVintheblood said:

Forster to Haven then. 

Hope one of them locals doesn't get dropped, there will be hell on. 

?

To be fair they have been using Dion as a prop they were that short of fowards,I think their biggest challenge will be how he takes to being just a player again,that could be tricky for them 

4 minutes ago, gillmeister said:

Downside of forums, but if people are so sad that they come on here masquerading as Town fans then that speaks volumes of them individuals.

Donald and me have never pretended to be Town fans. Always said we were Haven. Jim is obsessed with Haven and thinks any town fan who posts anything against the club is a Haven fan. Totally deluded.

1 minute ago, Marrafan said:

Donald and me have never pretended to be Town fans. Always said we were Haven. Jim is obsessed with Haven and thinks any town fan who posts anything against the club is a Haven fan. Totally deluded.

No issues with Haven fans on here being open and transparent mate, and while Jim might be over egging the pudding there is one or two that definitely fall into the bracket he is referring to

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

47 minutes ago, Brad hepis heed said:

To be fair they have been using Dion as a prop they were that short of fowards,I think their biggest challenge will be how he takes to being just a player again,that could be tricky for them 

Dions never played prop. JJP played 1 game at prop. Can't see it been a problem with foz just been a player he had other offers. 

Archived