Furner Sacked

Sad to see a coach sacked so soon. Wheres the faith they had when appointing him? unless something has happened behind closed doors that we are not privvy to. This being RL, if there is, i'm sure it will come out.

Hope whoever hired him will hold their hands up for their failure.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel Furner struggled to understand SL and the teams and players in it. I also dont feel he fitted in to where Leeds are/were and came in not fully aware of things. Allegedly he thought Garbutt was still a Leeds player for example. I feel its a bit of a rash sacking but maybe theres more to it than what we see.

Maybe a British Coach like , Powell, Marshall (seen with Sinfield) even Agar etc who have a much better understanding of the British Game, is what Leeds (and Wigan) need as a Coach at this time. Somebody who doesnt need a bunch of stars and money to get the team moving in the right direction, but also one that can use youngsters to the best of their ability alongside getting the best out of the experienced players. The Quality at Leeds is there for a top 5 team, but for various reasons has struggled to even look like a team with that potential.

Never fear, Richard Agars here?  Seriously, maybe it's Sinfield and Heatherington that should be shouldering more of the blame for their predicament, I know they are both Teflon men but they oversaw the appointment of Furner and the less than illustrious signings that took them into the season, money might be tight with the ground improvements but they needed a complete overhaul of the playing roster not just tinkering around the edges.

15 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Interesting that both Leeds and Wigan looked to former big-name players as the solution.   Warrington and Saints gambled on relative unknowns and so far that seems to be paying off.

I remember an interview with the Warrington CEO after Price was announced as head coach - I think the club was basically struggling to find an established coach who was both available and willing to come over, so Karl Fitzpatrick flew over to Aus and apparently gave the few interviewees (including Furner I believe) who had applied for the job a stack of videos of team performances and asked them to analyse where we were deficient and what they could do to change things.   By all accounts Price was the only candidate who a) was familiar with watching the Super League and b) took the analysis task seriously.  

I'm willing to bet Saints did a similar thing with Holbrook.   Maybe Leeds need to look towards going down that route.

Saints went down the ex player route and it didn’t go well. Both Saints and wire went for young coaches with a growing reputation both have done ok but need to take the next step and win something. I do think Saints no1 target was Fairleigh who would’ve combined being an ex player while also having a building reputation as an up and coming coach. I’d imagine he’s on a promise to get the Cowboys job when it next comes up. 

1 minute ago, Clogiron said:

Never fear, Richard Agars here?  Seriously, maybe it's Sinfield and Heatherington that should be shouldering more of the blame for their predicament, I know they are both Teflon men but they oversaw the appointment of Furner and the less than illustrious signings that took them into the season, money might be tight with the ground improvements but they needed a complete overhaul of the playing roster not just tinkering around the edges.

What do you mean by shouldering more of the blame? Sacking Furner is by admission that they got the appointment wrong.

Sinfield was brought in for the long term he has stated it will take a few years, If they don’t think Furner is the right coach to oversee the transition then they have done the right thing, why drag it out?

an overall of the playing staff cannot be done within a year, there are 11 players gone from last years squad, there will be more gone next year.

I do wonder if the players didn’t see eye to eye with Furner which has helped the decision 

7 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Hope whoever hired him will hold their hands up for their failure.

Well, on the Leeds website Sinfield admits that 

David was an outstanding candidate to be our Head Coach and was my first choice for the job.

But, obviously, rather than admit his incompetency, he sacks the guy that he chose.

It's always the way in sport isn't it? The people who make the decisions get away scot free, and able to repeat their mistakes. But, then he is 'King Kev' apparently ? 

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Sorry I don't follow 

Well Chester and Powell are being touted on this board.  But their clubs have both lost matches, quite a few of them. So it's a stretch to suggest that Lam and Furner are or were "OK" with defeats.

One of the reasons why defeats (and sometimes the scale of defeats) are a problem for many clubs is their injury list.  I am not sure that there is a competitive nature to Super League these days... It's more of a lottery.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was ready to walk out and Gaz has pumped him to save face!   Whatever happens it can only be good for the game to have one of the regular top 4 teams struggling to allow some "new blood" into the club ?

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Well, on the Leeds website Sinfield admits that 

But, obviously, rather than admit his incompetency, he sacks the guy that he chose.

It's always the way in sport isn't it? The people who make the decisions get away scot free, and able to repeat their mistakes. But, then he is 'King Kev' apparently ? 

On the face of it it seems harsh but Furner is responsible for performance on the field, and that has actually gone backwards from the start of the year. We have looked good in attack in patches but we are ridiculously soft both mentally and physically and I’d say that lies fair and square with the coaching staff. If there had been any improvement on the field even small improvements he would still be here but we have gone backwards.

17 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Lam and Furner were assistants at the NRL.  Were they really 'big names'?

Both the current Saints and Warrington coaches saw their seasons run off the rails last season. So what sets them apart? 

(Good luck to them by the way. They seem decent coaches)

I mean ‘big-name’ as in former club players, not coaches.

I’m not sure Warrington’s season ran off the rails last season, if anything we overachieved.   Price came in half way through the off-season and had to start recruiting players.   However, I agree he’s won nothing yet and this year and next he’ll need to prove that he can take a good squad to trophies.   Holbrook the same.

Based on what they’ve done with the squads they inherited so far (in terms of win ratios) you’d have to say they have been successful appointments, compared to other recently recruited coaches.

36 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

would not object to Tony Smith until the end of the season.

That’s an interesting one to consider.   Club legend so there’d be a ton of expectation and pressure on him, but he does have a record at two big clubs of inspiring the team to a trophy-winning run...   on the other hand he did inherit two very good squads with talent from 1-13 and excellent half-backs and leaders, and this current Leeds squad would be new territory for him.   It’s a top half of the table squad but not nearly as talented as he’d want.

On the topic of replacements, who is there readily available?

Or will they make do with a temp for the season, and bank on getting more points than London? Then get their man of choice for next season?

To throw a name into the hat who could be available - Shaun Wane. Ticks the ex-player box as well!

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

That’s an interesting one to consider.   Club legend so there’d be a ton of expectation and pressure on him, but he does have a record at two big clubs of inspiring the team to a trophy-winning run...   on the other hand he did inherit two very good squads with talent from 1-13 and excellent half-backs and leaders, and this current Leeds squad would be new territory for him.   It’s a top half of the table squad but not nearly as talented as he’d want.

he done a great job at Huddersfield too

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

47 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

By all accounts Agar is technically excellent at 'coaching' in the truest sense of the word.   Managing a victory both tactically and motivationally seems to be the job for somebody else though.   I would think Leeds need a Chester or a Powell to save themselves.

Im not being funny but what have Powell and Chester ever won?

Powell has a League Leaders Shield to his name and that’s it. He was at Featherstone when they were one of the highest spenders and probably the best squad in the division yet they got nowhere near winning anything.

Chester has an OK record at Wakefield but repeatedly fails when the matches are crucial whether play offs or big 4 pointer league games. Other than that his record at HKR was average which got him sacked.

48 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Can't see Powell going back there after the way he was treated before.

Possibly Chester, but didn't he sign an extended contract at Wakey not long ago?

Carter has a habit of signing the best players or coaches at Wakefield to long contracts. It’s a shrewd thing to do because while it commits the club to a certain individual it also means that Trinity can expect a decent compensation from whichever club comes knocking.

Just now, Cheshire Setter said:

I mean ‘big-name’ as in former club players, not coaches.

I’m not sure Warrington’s season ran off the rails last season, if anything we overachieved.   Price came in half way through the off-season and had to start recruiting players.   However, I agree he’s won nothing yet and this year and next he’ll need to prove that he can take a good squad to trophies.   Holbrook the same.

Based on what they’ve done with the squads they inherited so far (in terms of win ratios) you’d have to say they have been successful appointments, compared to other recently recruited coaches.

Yes they are good coaches and do seem to be a good fit for their clubs.  

As for big names... I was also meaning as players.  They were good players with name recognition but were not, as I would say, big names.  Cunningham was a Big Name.  (Sinfield is a big name of course.... But so is Mrs Hetherington!)   But agreed, a tangential point.

Lam was clearly a temporary one and was always going back to Aussie, certainly initially. 

1 minute ago, gillmeister said:

he done a great job at Huddersfield too

By all accounts Tony Smith took the Leeds side of 2004 right back to the basics and made sure they got them correct first before anything, Leeds could do with that at the moment!

they’ll struggle to appoint someone for this season IMO, I mean would you take that risk? Sinfield has been seen with Richard Marshall, I don’t know much about him but maybe an up an coming coach hungry to get into SL is what they need? Both Smith and McDermott weren’t overlly experienced and they went well, but they had the golden generation in their squad

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Good decision

Anyone got Shaun Wayne's number? He must be getting bored up there by now

I have no doubt that he will be coaching in Rugby League this time next year, but which club could be the interesting bit

4 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

m not being funny but what have Powell and Chester ever won?

Nothing, but they do seem to take average players and gel them into teams that win more games than they lose.   Powell in particular seems to work miracles with players that other clubs throw away.  Luke Gale for example.

27 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

What do you mean by shouldering more of the blame? Sacking Furner is by admission that they got the appointment wrong.

Sinfield was brought in for the long term he has stated it will take a few years, If they don’t think Furner is the right coach to oversee the transition then they have done the right thing, why drag it out?

an overall of the playing staff cannot be done within a year, there are 11 players gone from last years squad, there will be more gone next year.

I do wonder if the players didn’t see eye to eye with Furner which has helped the decision 

If Furner was Sinfields appointment what does sacking him say about his judgement, is he going to choose who replaces him? Will that choice be correct or secure in his tenure?

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

By all accounts Tony Smith took the Leeds side of 2004 right back to the basics and made sure they got them correct first before anything, Leeds could do with that at the moment!

they’ll struggle to appoint someone for this season IMO, I mean would you take that risk? Sinfield has been seen with Richard Marshall, I don’t know much about him but maybe an up an coming coach hungry to get into SL is what they need? Both Smith and McDermott weren’t overlly experienced and they went well, but they had the golden generation in their squad

Would Leeds want Tony Smith back as coach? I can't see it myself, but never say never.

Possibly Sinfield might. but the final decision will rest with GH

Archived