Furner Sacked

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’d sack Sinfield, not a head coach. 

Fourteen games is embarrassing to sack someone. Leeds need a good amount of work on that playing squad still, so to sack someone so soon is a little harsh, however, they should be doing better, so it is a little understandable. 

Your first bit makes no sense, if 14 games is too quick to sack a coach then sacking someone whi has come in to take a long term view of the club seems even less sense.

Sinfields not the one coaching the team Furner was and hes paid the price

1 minute ago, lucky 7 said:

Would Leeds want Tony Smith back as coach?

I'm not sure Smith wants to coach anymore anyway.   In his last couple of seasons at Warrington he talked about being disillusioned with the game, and since then he doesn't seem to have made an effort to throw his name into the hat for any coaching jobs.

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I'm not sure Smith wants to coach anymore anyway.   In his last couple of seasons at Warrington he talked about being disillusioned with the game, and since then he doesn't seem to have made an effort to throw his name into the hat for any coaching jobs.

Perhaps he needed a little time away from the game to recharge his batteries.

Just now, Cheshire Setter said:

Seems fair comment.  Coaches have a shelf life.  Wane too has said he wants to do something different.

Presumeably Price is not on the dole but is working somewhere. So why drop into a quagmire.

32 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

On the topic of replacements, who is there readily available?

Or will they make do with a temp for the season, and bank on getting more points than London? Then get their man of choice for next season?

To throw a name into the hat who could be available - Shaun Wane. Ticks the ex-player box as well!

Pryce 

Cunningham

Schofield

are all available 

4 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

I would love it for him to be given a go.

We'd rather keep him at York like, but you'd think he'd definitely be attracting SL attention as we are very much punching above our weight.

My guess is that Sinfield - frustrated by how things are going - has tried to exert more influence over the day to day coaching. Furner has said no, which is his right if it changes the terms of his hire, but if they can't work together, then the director of rugby will always win. 

Expect Sinfield to have a lot of day to day influence now, like he did after they sacked BM. 

My question is, how much influence did Sinfield have over Furner's hiring in the first place? If he was a major part of it, then he's only got one shot left to hire the right guy. 

52 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I mean ‘big-name’ as in former club players, not coaches.

I’m not sure Warrington’s season ran off the rails last season, if anything we overachieved.   Price came in half way through the off-season and had to start recruiting players.   However, I agree he’s won nothing yet and this year and next he’ll need to prove that he can take a good squad to trophies.   Holbrook the same.

Based on what they’ve done with the squads they inherited so far (in terms of win ratios) you’d have to say they have been successful appointments, compared to other recently recruited coaches.

I take it all back. Wigan Today have reminded their readers that Leeds have sacked "ex-Wigan star" David Furner. He is a big name after all.

9 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

My guess is that Sinfield - frustrated by how things are going - has tried to exert more influence over the day to day coaching. Furner has said no, which is his right if it changes the terms of his hire, but if they can't work together, then the director of rugby will always win. 

Expect Sinfield to have a lot of day to day influence now, like he did after they sacked BM. 

My question is, how much influence did Sinfield have over Furner's hiring in the first place? If he was a major part of it, then he's only got one shot left to hire the right guy. 

Sinfield said in the Club statement that Furner was his first choice it was his call. It's not. The only thing he got wrong either giving  contracts to old players long past their best and moving Garbutt out. 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

It was only the other week or so that Demetriou was talking on the radio that he would like to come back to England one day. His family would like too come over too. Did Hetherington hear it too and now he's signed him up.

Wigan are climbing the ladder, so I’d hold off judging Lam. 

Furner isn’t a reserve coach. He was head coach at Canberra for a long time AND held Kangaroos and Blues assistant roles - well respected. 

Richie Myler and Tui Lolohea have not been playing well. That’s the problem. I note they changed halves combinations again. 

2 minutes ago, newbe said:

As outside bet Danny Ward Broncos 

I would much rather Danny Ward than any of the other names mentioned. I’m sure Wane would do a good job but I don’t take to his style and doubt most Leeds fans would. 

Flanagan shouldn’t be allowed near another head coach’s position again after his past indiscretions 

Well one thing is for sure, the team will get a lift from the new coach affect there is no doubt about that.

However after the upturn in form that will certainly happen, I am really hoping they will be tempted to offer agar the gig. 

16 minutes ago, newbe said:

As outside bet Danny Ward Broncos 

I didn't even think of Ward.

Ward, Watson, Chester, Powell, Ford.   All talented British coaches who have got their squads playing attractive rugby and with a good win ratio.   Wane did an amazing job with Wigan but whether his mentality would fit around that of Hetherington and Sinfield I don't know.

Archived