Furner Sacked

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Leeds in the SL era have been lucky to have had 2 lots of Golden Generation Juniors coming through. Now only really Jack Walker has the necessaries to go to the very top in recent years. If it wasn't for him and Hurrell they'd be bottom by a mile.

Not sure you can call it luck given how much they put into their academy operations.

I'd be astonished if Leeds wanted to be associated with Shane Flanagan, just doesn't seem like their style as a club at all.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Your first bit makes no sense, if 14 games is too quick to sack a coach then sacking someone whi has come in to take a long term view of the club seems even less sense.

Sinfields not the one coaching the team Furner was and hes paid the price

What good has Sinfield done?

18 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Leeds in the SL era have been lucky to have had 2 lots of Golden Generation Juniors coming through. Now only really Jack Walker has the necessaries to go to the very top in recent years. If it wasn't for him and Hurrell they'd be bottom by a mile.

I get your overall point, but 2 golden generations isn't really 'luck' though......

I emphasise that because whilst the current on field squad is obviously struggling, behind the scenes the next generation is coming through - just a bigger gap than previously it seems. 

Wouldn't be surprised if Powell is tempted by it, IMO Cas had their chance to push on and invest in a squad that could go that one step further and failed to do so. There is still the culture at Leeds to win finals and trophies, even though they've had a bad few years.

On the other hand I cant see James Ford leaving York just yet. He's just turned full time at York, I don't want to say he has a job for life but it must be a very secure job. Would he really move to a pressure job like at Leeds, knowing if he doesn't turn things around he's out of a job, then it's potentially back to a part time coaching role in the Championship/League 1 and needing to find a regular job again. Plus you get the feeling having steered the club through off field problems, being without a ground, having to play at amateur grounds in front of 300 etc it would be the crowning glory him leading York out at the new stadium in front of 8k and establishing York as a strong Championship club. After that I could imagine him going to an 'unfancied' SL club.

23 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Disappointing to see Furner go and difficult to know what kind of job he was doing with a squad in such flux.

But there were some pretty simple things we were getting wrong time after time and some areas such as goaline defence which were weak and not seeing enough improvement.

A lot of pressure on the players now who have underperformed for 3 separate coaches.

Agar will probably see an uptick in form but he isn't the long term answer but questions have to be asked after letting McDermott go without a replacement in mind, now furner, it has ended up a waste of 2 years. 

The Man United of RL in every sense. 

I can understand the talk of Furner suing , he must have been assured he would be given time to sort things out before uprooting all the way from OZ . After all this is the 3rd relegation battle in 4 seasons. the Rot set in long ago 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I would be genuinely astonished if Leeds appointed Wane. I can't imagine an appointment more designed to annoy fans than that, even Agar would be better. Sometimes you have to factor in whether your customers will accept an appointment.

Putting to one side his style of play, Wane going on record saying when he played for Leeds that he couldn't motivate himself because it was Wigan or nothing for him should still be a warning sign about how effective he would be outside his natural environment. 

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

We have two marquee signings which we have never had, bearing in mind we win the comp in 2017 aswell.

the Leeds squad is easily capable of top 5 if they applied themselves 

I am looking at last season and this season.     If going back, Yep won comp 2017, but include 2016 then x3 of x4 season they have been in the  relegation battle/last 4.

The same failings on show this season as last season. Even if x3 new signing they were not fixing the issues.  Maybe the latest signing helps on the prop front but haven't seen anything regards very poor field kicking, which you need if forwards are struggling to win the forward battle. Needing someone to help in the energy department when in midst of said arm wrestle.

I guess we agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Is he related to Young Jack Walker? ?

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

9 minutes ago, silverback said:

john kear would do a great job.

He had a bit of a tenuous relationship with Uncle Kath at Hull!  I don't think he'd go anywhere near Headingley!

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

The Man United of RL in every sense. 

I was thinking this myself actually. A lot of what Gary Neville for example says about the current state of Manchester United could be applied to the Rhinos. 

13 minutes ago, Roy Boy said:

He had a bit of a tenuous relationship with Uncle Kath at Hull!  I don't think he'd go anywhere near Headingley!

Tenuous is putting it mildly. I don't think they can stand eachother.

Surprised that Leeds have pulled the trigger now tbh. Yes they are bad, but they were already bad before he arrived and with London now looking spent they aren't realistically in a relegation scrap currently. Deserved a bit more time to make his mark imo.

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I was thinking this myself actually. A lot of what Gary Neville for example says about the current state of Manchester United could be applied to the Rhinos. 

Yeah the failures at the 'changing of the guard' as it were are plain for all to see. My only slight reservation about making the comparison was likening Brian Mc to Sir Alex - worlds apart in terms of their individual impact. 

Hurrell has just tweeted thanking Furner for everything hes done for him .So Furner wasn't unpopular with all the playing staffs if at all 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, M j M said:

I would be genuinely astonished if Leeds appointed Wane. I can't imagine an appointment more designed to annoy fans than that, even Agar would be better.

Steady on now...

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Well Chester and Powell are being touted on this board.  But their clubs have both lost matches, quite a few of them. So it's a stretch to suggest that Lam and Furner are or were "OK" with defeats.

One of the reasons why defeats (and sometimes the scale of defeats) are a problem for many clubs is their injury list.  I am not sure that there is a competitive nature to Super League these days... It's more of a lottery.

I just meant that their attitude seemed a bit, "Oh well we tried our best and x are a good side and we're working hard in training and hopefully it'll come together..." etc.  

Furner sacked after 14 games when Mac got sacked Sinfield came in as Director of Rugby and got invited with training and coaching and performances got worse . 

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived