Furner Sacked

1 hour ago, MZH said:

The difference is that the criticism of McNamara was always a little unfair. His time at Bradford was a disaster but I would say very little blame can be put on him for that. The club was in a mess and he was fighting a losing battle. He did well with England imo, definately left us in a better place than when he started. He was also very well thought of during his time in the NRL.

Agar has just straight up failed everywhere he has been. At Hull he had some decent squads on paper, but we were garbage year after year. At Wakefield he didn't do much better. Didn't do anything with France. He seems to be pretty well regarded as an assistant, but all his attempts at being head coach have been huge failures.

Agar is a real No.2

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sinfield & Agar, what a dynamic duo they are!

They could each put a glass eye to sleep and bore a hole through the planet. I hope Rhino fans aren’t expecting these two to inspire & enthuse the players because they’re more likely to induce a narcolepsy epidemic around the Headingley area.

8 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Interesting that both Leeds and Wigan looked to former big-name players as the solution.   Warrington and Saints gambled on relative unknowns and so far that seems to be paying off.

I remember an interview with the Warrington CEO after Price was announced as head coach - I think the club was basically struggling to find an established coach who was both available and willing to come over, so Karl Fitzpatrick flew over to Aus and apparently gave the few interviewees (including Furner I believe) who had applied for the job a stack of videos of team performances and asked them to analyse where we were deficient and what they could do to change things.   By all accounts Price was the only candidate who a) was familiar with watching the Super League and b) took the analysis task seriously.  

I'm willing to bet Saints did a similar thing with Holbrook.   Maybe Leeds need to look towards going down that route.

That's apparently what got Woolford his job over here too, he studied everything about the league, about the Giants as a club and the strengths and weaknesses of individuals in the squad, whereas other candidates didn't know anything about our players apart from maybe Leroy and Jerry! And very little about super League as a whole

11 minutes ago, meast said:

Bizarre quote from Hetherington seems to suggest it was Sinfield's remit to improve the on field operations, so was Furner the puppet and why has he lost his job for not improving a squad that he largely inherited?

Seems like Sinfield is the one whose backside should be out the door not Furner?

A good coach would see some improvement with any squad, we have gone backwards.

It is Sinfields remit to get on field operations up to scratch again and he has obviously realised Furner wasn’t the right coach to do that. Sinfields next move is the important one, one poor coaching appointment can be seen as unfortunate two not so.

One of the best things Sinfield has done is somehow get GH to do a uturn on having reserve team.

7 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I'm not sure Smith wants to coach anymore anyway.   In his last couple of seasons at Warrington he talked about being disillusioned with the game, and since then he doesn't seem to have made an effort to throw his name into the hat for any coaching jobs.

He was a guest speaker at the Giants supporters association a while back and said he'd got no interest in going back into RL, he has a sports welfare thing that he's doing well with, never say never but the way he spoke about the game and certain people within it, I'd be very surprised if he was to return to the game.

57 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Bradford being in the less pressurized situation in the Championship with a largely FT squad and running the reserves, allows them to properly blood youngsters and in a mainly winning team. Put the same youngsters in the Leeds enviroment and I think you would see many of them struggle just like the Leeds kids.

I think that's right. In fact when we were in a very different situation in 2017 - fighting a losing battle against relegation, the kids didn't shine (Bentley was a bit of an exception) as we were basically getting beaten up every week.

Maybe what Leeds need to do is accept a couple of seasons of mediocrity whilst they gradually bring through the next generation of young players? The constant pressure to win things isn't helping.

1 hour ago, MZH said:

The difference is that the criticism of McNamara was always a little unfair. His time at Bradford was a disaster but I would say very little blame can be put on him for that. The club was in a mess and he was fighting a losing battle. He did well with England imo, definately left us in a better place than when he started. He was also very well thought of during his time in the NRL.

Agar has just straight up failed everywhere he has been. At Hull he had some decent squads on paper, but we were garbage year after year. At Wakefield he didn't do much better. Didn't do anything with France. He seems to be pretty well regarded as an assistant, but all his attempts at being head coach have been huge failures.

Don't forget the time Agar had at Warrington ,the wire soon had a slump in form. The guy brings the stench of failure to every team he has involvement in. So happy Gary is giving him yet one more chance

Betting odds from Skybet

https://www.betfred.com/sports/event/8896882.2

Not sure how Marshall is favourite - seems to be based on the fact he happened to be talking to Sinfield last week. For all we know they could have been ordering a pizza or discussing 'Game of Thrones'.

Perhaps in as a Number 2, but that would surely depend on who get the top job?

Surprised not to see more support in the betting for good up-and-coming British coaches like Watson, Ward or Ford.

8 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Apparently reported in Australia David Furner is to claim unfair dismissal saying he wanted to get rid of various members of his squad but his requests were turned down...

How does Furner think you can just get shut of contracted players?

that might be why theres looks to be zero team spirit.

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Adam O ‘ Brien is a very interesting name on that list . Another with a grounding second to none 

Quite young though, and still contracted to Huddersfield playing hooker?

54 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Apparently "he was brought in to change the roster and the players he wanted to mo e on he was ignored and he wanted to tear up the contract of Lolohea" 

Recruitment has been Leeds biggest problem since 2016, look at the transfers they’ve made;

IN- Mullaley, Galloway, Falloon, Ferres, Segeyargo

OUT- Aiton, Clarkson, Foster, Minns, Minchella, Mulhern, Hardaker, Ward, Luke. Briscoe

IN- Parcell, Aston

OUT- Segeyaro

IN- Dwyer, Peteru, Myler

OUT- Galloway, McGuire, Burrow

IN- Lolohea, Hurrell, Merrion, Albert, Luke Briscoe

OUT- Garbutt, Keinhorst

(sorry if I’ve missed anyone) 

9 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Recruitment has been Leeds biggest problem since 2016, look at the transfers they’ve made;

IN- Mullaley, Galloway, Falloon, Ferres, Segeyargo

OUT- Aiton, Clarkson, Foster, Minns, Minchella, Mulhern, Hardaker, Ward, Luke. Briscoe

IN- Parcell, Aston

OUT- Segeyaro

IN- Dwyer, Peteru, Myler

OUT- Galloway, McGuire, Burrow

IN- Lolohea, Hurrell, Merrion, Albert, Luke Briscoe

OUT- Garbutt, Keinhorst

(sorry if I’ve missed anyone) 

Well yes but look at the ins for 2019 furner should gave been doing better with this years squad

26 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Well yes but look at the ins for 2019 furner should gave been doing better with this years squad

Halfbacks been the issue since Burrow and McGuire left and Sutcliffe, Lolohea and Myler are not the answer, I’d rather have Hastings, drinkwater it Widdop

4 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Genuine question: Why not?

Big can of worms and off topic.

Apart from the fact he has spent years making his snide comments, I hate, no totally and utterly despise the way he coached his team to play the game.

I have commented for years the way his team are coached to 'bend' the rules or cheat. IMO he is the main culprit why ALL teams now exploit the rules to the detriment of the game.

We all know how the 'gamesmanship' is rotting the game now.

Whilst the 'style' created success its come at a cost. The pies didn't want him and with respect to them, if they don't want him, even after he delivered trophies, what on earth should he be doing coming to Leeds, the only club 'bigger' than them.

He is undoubtedly a very very talented coach however his technique is a cancer on the sport and I'm glad he's left the game.

57 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Big can of worms and off topic.

Apart from the fact he has spent years making his snide comments, I hate, no totally and utterly despise the way he coached his team to play the game.

I have commented for years the way his team are coached to 'bend' the rules or cheat. IMO he is the main culprit why ALL teams now exploit the rules to the detriment of the game.

We all know how the 'gamesmanship' is rotting the game now.

Whilst the 'style' created success its come at a cost. The pies didn't want him and with respect to them, if they don't want him, even after he delivered trophies, what on earth should he be doing coming to Leeds, the only club 'bigger' than them.

He is undoubtedly a very very talented coach however his technique is a cancer on the sport and I'm glad he's left the game.

Ask Wigan fans about Wane. The ones I spoke to on the day of the grand final hated the way they were playing. They were there out of a sense of duty rather than to be entertained. Others said the same AFTER the game. They'd had a miserable year yet ended up as champions.  

That in itself raises an interesting question - would Leeds fans sacrifice entertainment for more success?

Shane Flanagan would give the team some pep.  I'm sure he would turn the tide at Leeds. 

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Archived