Furner Sacked

12 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Ask Wigan fans about Wane. The ones I spoke to on the day of the grand final hated the way they were playing. They were there out of a sense of duty rather than to be entertained. Others said the same AFTER the game. They'd had a miserable year yet ended up as champions.  

That in itself raises an interesting question - would Leeds fans sacrifice entertainment for more success?

100% not me. Enough to hand back my season ticket if he comes.

Coincidence the pies ticket sales are down, I think not.

I'm genuinely concerned, in some quarters the Leeds fans are talking him up and the last time I checked he's the bookies favourite!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

How does Furner think you can just get shut of contracted players?

that might be why theres looks to be zero team spirit.

I think you make a good point... but the info in the press prior to season starting and the longish list of players the club said were available/wanted to move on but are still on the books won't have helped... and Furner wasn't here then.... at the time the Yorkshire Post said it was from an interview with Sinfield...  now whether they misquoted or not they named the players.  

13 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I think you make a good point... but the info in the press prior to season starting and the longish list of players the club said were available/wanted to move on but are still on the books won't have helped... and Furner wasn't here then.... at the time the Yorkshire Post said it was from an interview with Sinfield...  now whether they misquoted or not they named the players.  

I thought these rumours of players being told they can leave was early into the season?

Cuthbertson, one of the people supposedly told to leave denied it aswell.

happy to be proved wrong.

Something has clearly happened and I think this gas been coming for a month ir so.

1 hour ago, latchford albion said:

Shane Flanagan would give the team some pep.  I'm sure he would turn the tide at Leeds. 

If he’s half as successful as Pep he’ll do alright 

3 hours ago, latchford albion said:

Shane Flanagan would give the team some pep.  I'm sure he would turn the tide at Leeds. 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

If he’s half as successful as Pep he’ll do alright 

Yes, Flanagan could inject a buzz to the Leeds' squad. He was deeply involved in the formulation of improvement at Cronulla.

13 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Betting odds from Skybet

https://www.betfred.com/sports/event/8896882.2

Not sure how Marshall is favourite - seems to be based on the fact he happened to be talking to Sinfield last week. For all we know they could have been ordering a pizza or discussing 'Game of Thrones'.

Perhaps in as a Number 2, but that would surely depend on who get the top job?

Surprised not to see more support in the betting for good up-and-coming British coaches like Watson, Ward or Ford.

Will Leeds offer the job to someone, who despite praise from everyone outside the club, failed to be even offered a new contract by little ole Fax? Not a chance. His poor recruitment is one of the reasons, along with poor man management skills, why he is without a job so I can't really imagine them trusting someone like that with the position. 

16 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Will Leeds offer the job to someone, who despite praise from everyone outside the club, failed to be even offered a new contract by little ole Fax? Not a chance. His poor recruitment is one of the reasons, along with poor man management skills, why he is without a job so I can't really imagine them trusting someone like that with the position. 

Blaming him for poor recruitment is a bit much when Halifax had their budgets slashed and like most clubs presumably the owner and chairman have the final say not the coach. He man mamaged Fax well enough to the top 4 against the odds consistently.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Blaming him for poor recruitment is a bit much when Halifax had their budgets slashed and like most clubs presumably the owner and chairman have the final say not the coach. He man mamaged Fax well enough to the top 4 against the odds consistently.

We spent more this season than in any other previous season we have been in this league. After Michael Steele left the back office of the club has been a bit of a farce to the point that the head coach was the one negotiating the contracts. That would never be allowed at any other club and was a completely crazy situation. If man management is not telling players why they were not picked or not even speaking to the academy lads then yeah, he did a great job.

9 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

We spent more this season than in any other previous season we have been in this league. After Michael Steele left the back office of the club has been a bit of a farce to the point that the head coach was the one negotiating the contracts. That would never be allowed at any other club and was a completely crazy situation. If man management is not telling players why they were not picked or not even speaking to the academy lads then yeah, he did a great job.

That's a problem with the club then not the coach surely?

1 hour ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Being serious, i'm sure Sinfield want's D Powell. Powell can't do any more at Cas, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Powell would be a revelation at Leeds. For that reason, I really hope he doesn't go!

For me Powell is the best coach in the competition by a country mile.

I agree, maybe with some wishful thinking, that with the way this season has started for him, that he might be tempted.

Cas are not spending money like the big 4 and if he's got any genuine ambition in life he will realise, now more than ever, you need marquee money to win things.

Leeds are suitably in the mire for him to look like a genius turning them around too.

I cannot see him coming mid season though, even if a deal is done. So we will not know for months.

18 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

A good coach would see some improvement with any squad, we have gone backwards.

It is Sinfields remit to get on field operations up to scratch again and he has obviously realised Furner wasn’t the right coach to do that. Sinfields next move is the important one, one poor coaching appointment can be seen as unfortunate two not so.

One of the best things Sinfield has done is somehow get GH to do a uturn on having reserve team.

No chance.  He would've needed permission from Scotchy first. 

5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Blah blah blah. Marshall is such a poor Coach- look at his record at Fax and elsewhere. You have little idea on Marshalls Coaching or his philosophy. You hate Marshall for some unknown reason. Like any Coach he still has plenty to learn. I dont know why you try and paint him as the worst ever coach in the world. Leeds may or may not be a job for him. But I know many players and Coaches that speak highly of him. If he gets the Leeds job at Head or even asistant good on him.

Poor Man Managemnent skills was often thrown at Brian McDermott and yet look at his record. He is known to have blanked players at times yet didnt do bad with Leeds did he? When I ever met and spoke to Marshall at Training, the players had full respect for him and the communication was fine.

Poor recruitment? You mean signing the likes of Ben Kavanagh (Scottish International), QLT (One of the best FBs in the Championship), Kevin Lerroyer (One of the best Backrowers in the Championship) Ben White (Young Halfback that shone at the weekend) and managing somehow to retain Chester Butler? You dont half talk some rubbish

26 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Blah blah blah. Marshall is such a poor Coach- look at his record at Fax and elsewhere. You have little idea on Marshalls Coaching or his philosophy. You hate Marshall for some unknown reason. Like any Coach he still has plenty to learn. I dont know why you try and paint him as the worst ever coach in the world. Leeds may or may not be a job for him. But I know many players and Coaches that speak highly of him. If he gets the Leeds job at Head or even asistant good on him.

Poor Man Managemnent skills was often thrown at Brian McDermott and yet look at his record. He is known to have blanked players at times yet didnt do bad with Leeds did he? When I ever met and spoke to Marshall at Training, the players had full respect for him and the communication was fine.

Poor recruitment? You mean signing the likes of Ben Kavanagh (Scottish International), QLT (One of the best FBs in the Championship), Kevin Lerroyer (One of the best Backrowers in the Championship) Ben White (Young Halfback that shone at the weekend) and managing somehow to retain Chester Butler? You dont half talk some rubbish

Kavanagh, QLT, and Whites poor form have contributed to the position we are in. All 3 have overall been poor signings so far. Marshall was advised against signing 2 of them but like the advice on problems with our attack, he chose to ignore it. Grix’s sly dig in his interview may have gone unnoticed by most but it did speak volumes of what he and others have been thinking for a couple of seasons now.

Fans are going to make opinions of people but when it’s his players and ex-players that are telling you their negative opinions then some of them are going to stick.

Lets see how the season pans out but I’m sure we will see an upturn in our fortunes and Grix is already looking at shipping out some of Marshall’s poor signings to improve the squad in areas that we actually need it. Maybe everyone else around Marshall had it wrong but in the end it came down to a choice between Grix and Marshall  and there was only ever one winner in the eyes of the board and the players.

4 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Kevin Lerroyer (One of the best Backrowers in the Championship) 

lol

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Plenty of good coaches about at the minute including some good British ones. Ward would be a good choice and not unexpected given he played with Kev from the academy, however, I think he'll play safe and go for Wane or Flanagan. Both will guarantee results and have the type of approach that some of these Leeds players need.

Would be nice to see a big club give a young British coach like Marshall or Fordy a go but I cant see it. Powell would be an obvious choice but I think his stubbornness will prevent that, lucky for Cas. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 07/05/2019 at 15:37, fieldofclothofgold said:

Hurrell has just tweeted thanking Furner for everything hes done for him .So Furner wasn't unpopular with all the playing staffs if at all 

The players by all accounts were struggling to adapt to Furner’s ideas and style of play. That’s straight from one of the current squad who briefed at my unit a couple of months ago.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

They say never go back and id rather see someone new than a retread, Flanagan, Demetriou, Walker, maybe Daniel Anderson fancies another crack, Toovey is still looking for a job, 

We might just have a hard time convincing Australian coaches the way Furner has been binned so quickly.

Why are you not keen on Powell?

Maybe Sinfield is interfering/toxic, he's just as culpable if not more so, he should be sacked as clearly not able to do a good job for the club thus far.

hetherington's have been making a mockery of the Leeds club in the last few years, both ended up making Hull go backwards with lack of investment, slung James Rule under the bus as well.

Archived