Furner Sacked

1 hour ago, MZH said:

Tenuous is putting it mildly. I don't think they can stand eachother.

Never! ?

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, M j M said:

I would be genuinely astonished if Leeds appointed Wane. I can't imagine an appointment more designed to annoy fans than that, even Agar would be better. Sometimes you have to factor in whether your customers will accept an appointment.

Putting to one side his style of play, Wane going on record saying when he played for Leeds that he couldn't motivate himself because it was Wigan or nothing for him should still be a warning sign about how effective he would be outside his natural environment. 

Wane is quoted in the Wigan press as not ruling it out and says he would like to be involved with RL again.

Betting is Marshall at 4/1, with Agar and Wane at 5/1.  The Twitter guy I early commented on in the thread says Flanagan is favourite.

By the time it all finished we can guarantee another will by favourite.  Maybe it should be left to the Loiners fans - who would you like?

3 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I can understand the talk of Furner suing , he must have been assured he would be given time to sort things out before uprooting all the way from OZ . After all this is the 3rd relegation battle in 4 seasons. the Rot set in long ago 

Not sure why he’d need to sue as unless they’ve sacked him for breaking the terms of his contract he’ll surely get paid off anyway. 

Would be surprised Agar as he seemed to be keen on his overall development head honcho.

Never-the-less from comments does he fit in with the McNamara commentary... that is without using some of the language... he was gauged to be extremely poor but then he turned around Catalan and was "best since sliced bread"...

Tells us what we should make of some comments on coaching abilities I guess....

15 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Would be surprised Agar as he seemed to be keen on his overall development head honcho.

Never-the-less from comments does he fit in with the McNamara commentary... that is without using some of the language... he was gauged to be extremely poor but then he turned around Catalan and was "best since sliced bread"...

Tells us what we should make of some comments on coaching abilities I guess....

The difference is that the criticism of McNamara was always a little unfair. His time at Bradford was a disaster but I would say very little blame can be put on him for that. The club was in a mess and he was fighting a losing battle. He did well with England imo, definately left us in a better place than when he started. He was also very well thought of during his time in the NRL.

Agar has just straight up failed everywhere he has been. At Hull he had some decent squads on paper, but we were garbage year after year. At Wakefield he didn't do much better. Didn't do anything with France. He seems to be pretty well regarded as an assistant, but all his attempts at being head coach have been huge failures.

Timing is interesting. Looks like the mounting pressure of the cup game has got to Kev. Imagine the reaction if we win!*

Be nice to see an up coming British coach given the gig. All Aussies coaching the ‘big three’ - Leeds, Saints, Wigan. And that ain’t healthy for our game overall. Need to stay away from ex players as well I’d have thought.

*we won’t. 

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

8 minutes ago, MZH said:

The difference is that the criticism of McNamara was always a little unfair. His time at Bradford was a disaster but I would say very little blame can be put on him for that. The club was in a mess and he was fighting a losing battle. He did well with England imo, definately left us in a better place than when he started. He was also very well thought of during his time in the NRL.

Agar has just straight up failed everywhere he has been. At Hull he had some decent squads on paper, but we were garbage year after year. At Wakefield he didn't do much better. Didn't do anything with France. He seems to be pretty well regarded as an assistant, but all his attempts at being head coach have been huge failures.

you may well be right.... and I tend to agree he ain't been regarded as a good head coach by fans

never-the-less I note as you mention his time at Hull... the current manager doesn't get good commentary often from the fan base... 

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Wane is quoted in the Wigan press as not ruling it out and says he would like to be involved with RL again.

Betting is Marshall at 4/1, with Agar and Wane at 5/1.  The Twitter guy I early commented on in the thread says Flanagan is favourite.

By the time it all finished we can guarantee another will by favourite.  Maybe it should be left to the Loiners fans - who would you like?

He also said he washappy where he is and happy doing his after dinner speaking.

I suppose a year at Leeds would boost his speaking revenues after he left.

Rhinos a poisoned Chalice now.

Going back to my previous point, I don't think luck is the right word with regards to the golden generations. However they seem to have taken their eye off the prize.

It's so rewarding  at the Bulls now to see a shed load of Bulls kids (even three that have come back) matching the best of the championship. To see some dross being signed at Leeds instead of an up and coming kid must be downheartening for Rhinos fans.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

18 minutes ago, Teessidewire said:

Wane has thrown his hat into the ring and said he would be interested in talking to Leeds. They would be daft not to consider him.

No he has not. The quotes are all anodyne.

17 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Going back to my previous point, I don't think luck is the right word with regards to the golden generations. However they seem to have taken their eye off the prize.

It's so rewarding  at the Bulls now to see a shed load of Bulls kids (even three that have come back) matching the best of the championship. To see some dross being signed at Leeds instead of an up and coming kid must be downheartening for Rhinos fans.

Maybe that was part of the problem and why they've got rid?

Sinfield was asked what the players thought and he said it was a mixed bag, some players were close to him will be sad but others that weren’t getting picked not so sad

Thats nor verbatim but it was the gist.

We do have some cracking you players but maybe Furner was reluctant to play them?

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Looked like Marshall was coming in as a #2, Agar has said he doesn’t want it. I’m sure Wane would get a performance out of them although I think Ian Watson has done a great job at Salford on a small budget I’d like to see him have a go at Leeds

9 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Our biggest fear right now is ending up where you are, rewarding for you, disaster for us....Sums  up the difference between the two clubs.

Your right in that we took our eye off the ball with the Academy, thankfully thats been rectified, we'v got some of the best talents in the British game coming through.

We'r rubbish and theres plenty of things to be critical about, up and coming kids getting there chance isnt one of them

Smith, Oledski, Walker, Holroyd and Newman are all 20 or under and played plenty of first team games between them, at superleague level, Handleys 23, superleagues second top try scorer...McCllelland, Mustapha, Trout, all teenagers, have made there first team debuts.

4 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Looked like Marshall was coming in as a #2, Agar has said he doesn’t want it. I’m sure Wane would get a performance out of them although I think Ian Watson has done a great job at Salford on a small budget I’d like to see him have a go at Leeds

Marshall appears to have done a good job at Fax, despite some criticism on here.  IMO, Leeds need a Coach with burning ambition, not a big name player turned Coach who hasn’t a lot to prove.

Watkins saying the players are to blame, but that’s always the case when these things happen.  Demetriou would be my pick, Marshall 2nd in command.

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

Leeds still have some quality youngsters. The problems is they dont have a reserve team and to throw them in at SL level in a team that has been struggling for a good couple of seasons is not really the way to do things. Players like Tom Holroyd have impressed when given a chance but they are not properly developed to jump from 19s to SL.

Bradford being in the less pressurized situation in the Championship with a largely FT squad and running the reserves, allows them to properly blood youngsters and in a mainly winning team. Put the same youngsters in the Leeds enviroment and I think you would see many of them struggle just like the Leeds kids. Bradford are able, like Halifax have done to give youngsters a chance as the pressure to sign a big name AND play him is not there. Also running a reserve grade they can properly bring kids through. I feel Leeds not having a reserve grade has hurt the young players and whole squad far more than they say. DR at Fev is not the same neither.

I still fail to understand what Leeds expected after 14 games from a Coach who inherited a Squad that has been not upto standard for the past 3 years. I feel a Coach, when appointed should be given a good 12-18 Months within reason, to show what he can do. Its rare any Coach can just walk in and change things inside 3 months and expect results to improve drastically. It takes time to have the players and systems you want in place, as well as build relationship with players. Some luck may help get you off to a good start. It seems Sir Kevin and Gary have a case of rushing in to things.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Marshall appears to have done a good job at Fax, despite some criticism on here.  IMO, Leeds need a Coach with burning ambition, not a big name player turned Coach who hasn’t a lot to prove.

Watkins saying the players are to blame, but that’s always the case when these things happen.  Demetriou would be my pick, Marshall 2nd in command.

Yeah I’ve seen a few people say Demetriou . I’d be happy with that

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Not sure why he’d need to sue as unless they’ve sacked him for breaking the terms of his contract he’ll surely get paid off anyway. 

Apparently "he was brought in to change the roster and the players he wanted to mo e on he was ignored and he wanted to tear up the contract of Lolohea" 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived