Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Chrispmartha

Furner Sacked

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

We might just have a hard time convincing Australian coaches the way Furner has been binned so quickly.

Why are you not keen on Powell?

Contrary to popular belief Cas have spent a far amount in the last few years and Powell still has seen that problem of getting his teams over that final hurdle. 

I think a lot of excuses are made for Powell at 'little Cas' and I'm not convinced that if we took Powell now we would be any further forward in 2023 than we were 2003  

I think we would definitely see an improvement and we would be back challenging within a year or two with him. However I also think the youngsters coming through and the next set could be another golden generation and with a top top coach bringing something new to SL we could see another dynasty, whereas Powell does what he does and does it well but has there being an awful lot of evolution?

If I had to choose we could get 2 years of Flanagan who would be a step above anyone else or maybe 3 or 4 of Demetriu who is a really well respected assistant.

Edited by scotchy1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Sinfield is interfering/toxic, he's just as culpable if not more so, he should be sacked as clearly not able to do a good job for the club thus far.

hetherington's have been making a mockery of the Leeds club in the last few years, both ended up making Hull go backwards with lack of investment, slung James Rule under the bus as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Maybe Sinfield is interfering/toxic, he's just as culpable if not more so, he should be sacked as clearly not able to do a good job for the club thus far. 

hetherington's have been making a mockery of the Leeds club in the last few years, both ended up making Hull go backwards with lack of investment, slung James Rule under the bus as well. 

With respect it looks like you don't have much clue about the internal workings of Leeds.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, M j M said:

With respect it looks like you don't have much clue about the internal workings of Leeds.

With respect, as DoR it's his responsibility for the running of the rugby side of things, in this he has failed miserably unless you are ignoring how things have panned out? "I'm not the coach" Sinfield seems to be coated in teflon.

Maybe you are close to Sinfield and know exactly what the workings are, but it still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't produced, how do you know that he isn't part of the problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

With respect, as DoR it's his responsibility for the running of the rugby side of things, in this he has failed miserably unless you are ignoring how things have panned out? "I'm not the coach" Sinfield seems to be coated in teflon.

Maybe you are close to Sinfield and know exactly what the workings are, but it still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't produced, how do you know that he isn't part of the problem?

Sinfield has held his hands up and said appointing Furner was his call played and won SL with him he was an influential member in the 2004 team and he was a friend.  There is things we dont know about what's gone on ,but recruitment since the golden generation broke up has been poor. Sinfield has also Intimated that Agar could  be in Situ for rest of season 


 Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

With respect, as DoR it's his responsibility for the running of the rugby side of things, in this he has failed miserably unless you are ignoring how things have panned out? "I'm not the coach" Sinfield seems to be coated in teflon.

Maybe you are close to Sinfield and know exactly what the workings are, but it still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't produced, how do you know that he isn't part of the problem?

Yes its Sinfields responsibility and he has taken responsibility and admitted it was the wrong appointment  and made a decision to rectify it rather than just letting things carry on as they are.

If he gets the next one wrong you would have more of a point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

lol

He isn't even the best backrow in Halifax.

There is a good reason Halifax have had an upturn in performance in recent weeks and it certainly aint down to QLT or French Kev.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2019 at 12:50, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I get your overall point, but 2 golden generations isn't really 'luck' though......

I emphasise that because whilst the current on field squad is obviously struggling, behind the scenes the next generation is coming through - just a bigger gap than previously it seems. 

They churn out talent like no one else from the youth system. 

I'd argue the anomalous result is now and the norm is an abundance of talent

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

With respect, as DoR it's his responsibility for the running of the rugby side of things, in this he has failed miserably unless you are ignoring how things have panned out? "I'm not the coach" Sinfield seems to be coated in teflon.

Maybe you are close to Sinfield and know exactly what the workings are, but it still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't produced, how do you know that he isn't part of the problem?

With respect he has been in post less than a year

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Currently Flanagan 6/4 and Wane 5/2 with bet bald

Short odds considering Wane was 5/1 a few days ago.  

Gossip is Powell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest odds 

image.thumb.png.80637496490d8b30082ca3ee7990cb19.png

I think they'll keep Agar there for the remainder of the season but announce next years coach well before the end of this season - soften the blow of such an awful season. Maybe a half back announcement too by then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Latest odds 

image.thumb.png.80637496490d8b30082ca3ee7990cb19.png

I think they'll keep Agar there for the remainder of the season but announce next years coach well before the end of this season - soften the blow of such an awful season. Maybe a half back announcement too by then. 

Ok, thanks.  Must be money going on for Flanagan, Marshall and Wane.  But if your thoughts of keeping Agar in for the season are right, why is Flanagan leading in the betting?  He’s ready to go, if suitable, and half a season in charge would place a coach in perfect position for 2020.

IMO Agar won’t be considered in the final shake up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Ok, thanks.  Must be money going on for Flanagan, Marshall and Wane.  But if your thoughts of keeping Agar in for the season are right, why is Flanagan leading in the betting?  He’s ready to go, if suitable, and half a season in charge would place a coach in perfect position for 2020.

IMO Agar won’t be considered in the final shake up.

 

Both Agar and Powell have ruled themselves out

 

My Money would be on Flannagan and to come in before the end of the season.

I don't know much about him, aside from him breaking the doping rules is he well respected? and what type of coach is he, we need a tough no nonsense type of coach with no ties to the club in any way IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Both Agar and Powell have ruled themselves out

 

My Money would be on Flannagan and to come in before the end of the season.

I don't know much about him, aside from him breaking the doping rules is he well respected? and what type of coach is he, we need a tough no nonsense type of coach with no ties to the club in any way IMO.

That type of coach. He would be a good appointment, good record at the Sharks.


Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

He isn't even the best backrow in Halifax.

There is a good reason Halifax have had an upturn in performance in recent weeks and it certainly aint down to QLT or French Kev.

The most overrated backrower in the game. I've never seen him play well, although I have heard him moaning about how the game owes him a living when he got relegated. Terrible player.

  • Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

The most overrated backrower in the game. I've never seen him play well, although I have heard him moaning about how the game owes him a living when he got relegated. Terrible player.

To be fair to him he has probably been the best of a bad bunch of signings for us. That probably highlights the reason we are where we are though. I dread to think the type of signings that would happen if he were to be given Leeds spending power. It says a lot for Marshall's when we are very reliant on the core of Karl Harrison's team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Barry Eaton still there? He has a very useful coaching record. Obviously, he wouldn't get the top job but he could be an important cog till the end of this season.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm slightly worried that what this is showing is that the club is becoming a bit too reactionary. If you're giving a coach a 3 year deal you have to back the guy. If you don't back him and his squad decisions don't sign him for 3 years!

Our signings have on the whole been poor. Yes we've gone into the Marquee market for the first time this season but if I'm honest I don't think that its been spent well. Yes Hurrell is probably our best player, but with Keinhorst in the squad last year we didn't need to spend loads of money on a world class centre as that wasn't where our biggest problems were. Hurrell is by far our best player this season but is that saying much? Lolohea is a quandry of a signing, clearly much better at FB, or at least anywhere thats not stand off, it does make you wonder what vision had him signed if we already had Walker and Golding. Even with Merrin I'm somewhat underwhelmed. We are better with him on the pitch but I really don't see him and think "Marquee Money" in the way that Austin is at Wire for example. I think its clear the club has spent money, I'm not convinced it's been spent in the right way.

The balance of the squad at Leeds just seems off. We're lightweight up front and soft in defence not to mention we still haven't recruited a proper 6 since Sinfield retired. Suddenly we're connected with a 500k bid for Jake Connor, brought in 2 forwards mid season from a collapsed Widnes and the NRL and our Coach is sacked after 14 games. I don't know about anyone else but it just seems a bit chaotic for Leeds?

Finally, I'm surprised McLelland hasn't been given more game time or at least a chance considering our problems in the halves. Maybe that was Furner's decision. 

Regardless, sacking the coach, poor planning with signings, poor squad balance, I'm seeing this all this as the signs of a club acting reactionary. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm slightly worried that what this is showing is that the club is becoming a bit too reactionary. If you're giving a coach a 3 year deal you have to back the guy. If you don't back him and his squad decisions don't sign him for 3 years!

Our signings have on the whole been poor. Yes we've gone into the Marquee market for the first time this season but if I'm honest I don't think that its been spent well. Yes Hurrell is probably our best player, but with Keinhorst in the squad last year we didn't need to spend loads of money on a world class centre as that wasn't where our biggest problems were. Hurrell is by far our best player this season but is that saying much? Lolohea is a quandry of a signing, clearly much better at FB, or at least anywhere thats not stand off, it does make you wonder what vision had him signed if we already had Walker and Golding. Even with Merrin I'm somewhat underwhelmed. We are better with him on the pitch but I really don't see him and think "Marquee Money" in the way that Austin is at Wire for example. I think its clear the club has spent money, I'm not convinced it's been spent in the right way.

The balance of the squad at Leeds just seems off. We're lightweight up front and soft in defence not to mention we still haven't recruited a proper 6 since Sinfield retired. Suddenly we're connected with a 500k bid for Jake Connor, brought in 2 forwards mid season from a collapsed Widnes and the NRL and our Coach is sacked after 14 games. I don't know about anyone else but it just seems a bit chaotic for Leeds?

Finally, I'm surprised McLelland hasn't been given more game time or at least a chance considering our problems in the halves. Maybe that was Furner's decision. 

Regardless, sacking the coach, poor planning with signings, poor squad balance, I'm seeing this all this as the signs of a club acting reactionary. 

 

I kind of see what you’re saying but the problem with straight relegation in the league there’s not always the time to not be reactionary. If there’s no threat of relegation its ‘easier’ to give people time. Something wasn’t right within the group at all I just hope that it was Furner that was the issue.

I do disagree on Hurrell and Merrin who have been far and away our best players, with Hall leaving we did need a player who makes metres snd gets us on the front foot, Keinhorst was a solid player but not in the same ballpark as Hurrell, Merrin is a very very good player, I would make him captain and let Watkins concentrate on getting his fitness and confidence back after a career threatening injury.

Where I do agree is on the halfback Tui is not the answer at all, Hastings would have been the player I would have gone for (we apparently tried to get Austin)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

To be fair to him he has probably been the best of a bad bunch of signings for us. That probably highlights the reason we are where we are though. I dread to think the type of signings that would happen if he were to be given Leeds spending power. It says a lot for Marshall's when we are very reliant on the core of Karl Harrison's team.

Fair enough. I always thought Marshall did well with what he had and his record of making the top four is hard to argue with. You're in a better position to comment on signings than me but from the outside some of them look quite odd. Is Shaun Robinson not doing well? He was very good at Fev.


Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Latest odds 

image.thumb.png.80637496490d8b30082ca3ee7990cb19.png

I think they'll keep Agar there for the remainder of the season but announce next years coach well before the end of this season - soften the blow of such an awful season. Maybe a half back announcement too by then. 

There might be a Ole type revival!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

There might be a Ole type revival!

Dead cat bounce 


- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

He isn't even the best backrow in Halifax.

There is a good reason Halifax have had an upturn in performance in recent weeks and it certainly aint down to QLT or French Kev.

Has missed large parts of the season like many of the more established players. But returned at the weekend with 2 tries. Not too bad for a rubbish backrower. Probably OTT with one of the best backrowers, but certainly for a part time team like Fax, a handy player to have. No doubt other PT teams would not mind having him.

The recent upturn as you put it, helps when playing teams that are struggling to put a team out like Barrow and the return of an experiemced half in Murrell who has been missing and carrying injuries. Also having star player Chester Butler finally play has also helped with 3 tries in 2 games. He should be in SL.

Marshall has allegedly had no contact with Sinfield or Leeds since the last game. I dont think Leeds (Sinfield) have a clue themselves who they really want. If they did, you would think they would have made an announcement, rather than just throw Agar in to the Temp Role. You would think they would have talked to one or two possible next Coaches, before sacking Furner. That doesnt seem to be the case. The lack of leadership and clear understanding that the Leeds of old had both on and off the field has seemingly vanished.

The way the whole this and other things have been handled by Leeds (Sinfield) has been poor. To sack somebody you appointed after 14 Games is a strange one.It seems Sinfield-a great player- has liitle idea in his role away from the field. He risks being a Kieron Cunningham. Great player, but clueless off it! Leeds are in the position they are is more down to Sinfield than Furner and I am not sure what he was expecting from Furner with that Squad and the problems Leeds have had for years, not just 14 Games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...