10-11 May: Challenge Cup 6th Round (Non TV Games) 

Discuss this weekend's Coral Challenge Cup 6th Round non-televised games here. 

FRIDAY 10th MAY 
Dewsbury Rams v Halifax KO 8pm
Wakefield Trinity v Widnes Vikings KO 7.45pm

SATURDAY 11th MAY
Coral Challenge Cup - Sixth Round
Catalans Dragons v Doncaster KO 2pm (UK time)
Salford Red Devils v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 2pm

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, John Drake said:

FRIDAY 10th MAY 
Dewsbury Ram 10 v 32 Halifax KO 8pm
Wakefield Trinity 28 v 14 Widnes Vikings KO 7.45pm

SATURDAY 11th MAY
Coral Challenge Cup - Sixth Round
Catalans Dragons 48 v 0 Doncaster KO 2pm (UK time)
Salford Red Devils 30 v 22 Hull Kingston Rovers KO 2pm

If I was involved in the management of either Salford or Trinity, I would be thinking quietly and confidentially to myself that my team was certainly (a) not going to be relegated and (b) good enough to get to Wembley, but was (c) probably not strong enough to win the SL grand final.  Wembley would offer fans and players alike the chance of silverware, not to mention a great day out.  So I would put some effort into the cup.

So I go for Salford and Trinity to win, along with Les Dracs.  Catalans might be in danger of complacency, but surely M. Guasch (et M. MacNamara aussi, j'espere!) will not permit that!

Hardest to predict of this quartet of matches is arguably Dewsbury -v- Halifax, but I tip the visitors to take this one.

I wouldn't mind Wakefield making it to Wembley this year.

Reward for their recent efforts both on and off the pitch and might help with their ground purchase/redevelopment.Suspect they might take a decent following as well.

On 08/05/2019 at 09:13, cookey said:

I wouldn't mind Wakefield making it to Wembley this year.

Reward for their recent efforts both on and off the pitch and might help with their ground purchase/redevelopment.Suspect they might take a decent following as well.

The ground has been purchased - redevelopment is another issue.

There was a time many moons ago when a Wembley win could buy you a new stand, many an older stand at the few older grounds left owes its very existence to such a win.

Don't reckon the CCup, even a fully attended one generates that kind of cash anymore, or at least not for the participating teams.

Also like it or not the players want their share and one way or another and the money soon goes.

On a positive though it will go some way to stabilise the finances of a club especially one as well run as Wakefield now appear to be. Long term this may attract grants, cheap loans and support from sponsors for new facilities so its certainly not a negative.

14 hours ago, newbe said:

Catalan rest players for Camp Nou game next week.

Still enough depth to win at home fairly straightforwardly given the opposition will be willing but limited up against a strong SL team. 

Les Dracs may well get back to Wembley this season I feel. 

20 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

The ground has been purchased - redevelopment is another issue.

There was a time many moons ago when a Wembley win could buy you a new stand, many an older stand at the few older grounds left owes its very existence to such a win.

Don't reckon the CCup, even a fully attended one generates that kind of cash anymore, or at least not for the participating teams.

Also like it or not the players want their share and one way or another and the money soon goes.

On a positive though it will go some way to stabilise the finances of a club especially one as well run as Wakefield now appear to be. Long term this may attract grants, cheap loans and support from sponsors for new facilities so its certainly not a negative.

It really depends on what you do with it. Some clubs have used final appearances to build their supporter base, flog huge amounts of merchandise and attract higher quality players. Others have done very little and assumed the money would roll in.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It really depends on what you do with it. Some clubs have used final appearances to build their supporter base, flog huge amounts of merchandise and attract higher quality players. Others have done very little and assumed the money would roll in.

I wouldn't deny that but a new main stand would cost around six million pounds and there is no way on earth the CCup creates that amount of revenue, lets be serious please.

Just now, Kirmonds pouch said:

I wouldn't deny that but a new main stand would cost around six million pounds and there is no way on earth the CCup creates that amount of revenue, lets be serious please.

I agree.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Should be a good game between Dewsbury and Fax and hopefully the winner gets a winable tie someone like Leeds at home.

No, the Rams -v- Fax winners will get Les Dracs in Perpignan and dear old Ralph R's heart will miss a beat as he has an ominous sense of deja vu or, as they say in France, 'already seen'!

6-6 at half-time.  Very inexperienced Widnes team out there and you feel the likes of Caton-Brown & Fifita should be ripping them apart, but far too much dropped ball from Wakefield so far. 

Try for Fifita - difficult to tell what happened as the view of the game is pretty poor at Belle Vue, but I think Fifita did a one-on-one ball steal in the in-goal area on Jack Owens after a kick through on the last. Widnes team pretty unhappy with the decision.

Archived