New York backers revealed..

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Manly sea eagles are planning to get involved

I’ve just seen those articles start to appear but they are behind a paywall..

They did hint at it last year 

20 hours ago, PatrickB said:

It's now starting to be pretty clear as to why the NY bids backers weren't revealed.

Sounds like a pretty sketchy setup based on what we see about the Butlins.

You'd think in a place like NY with more then 20 million people in the area, RL could do quite a bit better than guys like this.

hey they elected Trump and he's from NY...anything goes in the Untied States!

22 hours ago, Big Picture said:

No it can't do quite a bit better than guys like this, not the way things are set up now.  RL in the UK has been exposed by the events of the past year and a half as a small time, small-minded sport, so it could only do quite a bit better than guys like this with a whole new organization totally separate from SL and the RFL and able to give the sport a big time, fully professional approach.

Exactly, small time people in your big city scenario.

12 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

One MMA fighter earned £80m for a boxing fight despite having a record of 0-0.

Be alright if he's involved! ? 

Has he paid his taxes yet?  Not to mention his agents and hangers on...

On 07/05/2019 at 19:04, leaguefan13 said:

Those Butlin brothers were on a programme by Danny dyer a few years ago. Was called Britain’s most dangerous men I think.. they seemed a right pair of nutcases. 

I bet they play in red tops.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

25 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Rumour has it that Ottawa will be approved for 2020 but New York won’t due to not fulfilling all the criteria in time 

I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised with Ottawa. They could get big crowds.

1 hour ago, westside said:

I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised with Ottawa. They could get big crowds.

i had some fans from Ottawa with me at the opener, they figure Ottawa would replicate our numbers and said they

would sign up in a heartbeat!

On 07/05/2019 at 18:09, Big Picture said:

No it can't do quite a bit better than guys like this, not the way things are set up now.  RL in the UK has been exposed by the events of the past year and a half as a small time, small-minded sport, so it could only do quite a bit better than guys like this with a whole new organization totally separate from SL and the RFL and able to give the sport a big time, fully professional approach.

Let me guess,  your next post is going to include the phrase "oil and water" ?

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

i had some fans from Ottawa with me at the opener, they figure Ottawa would replicate our numbers and said they

If Ottawa gets in I would hope Argyle and Perez get together and submit a bid for Canada to get the 2025 RL WC. Games in Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal and Vancouver and then spend 2021 - 2024 bringing NRL, French and UK clubs to play international test matches..watch the games popularity go thru the roof!

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

Ottawa is a no-brainer but this NY bid is hard to judge. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

19 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Ottawa is a no-brainer but this NY bid is hard to judge. 

Agree, Wary of anything that hints of Russian consortium involvement which was mooted somewhere.

3 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Agree, Wary of anything that hints of Russian consortium involvement which was mooted somewhere.

They were revealed to an extent, and then reported was concerns about where the money was coming from?

I do find this unsettling and odd.

If they do not materialise and it does seem likely given this kind of reporting then the NY brand will be lost to our game. Though some may rejoice at this  it will be another opportunity gone begging and we'll probably never really know if it was a poisoned chalice or another squandered moment to add to the endless list.

The RFL Opaque is Our Watchword

Acclinis falsis animus meliora recusat it was either this or bu gger me!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I don't think we will be using you for the Golden Point today son.

Or as the video referee; Try or no Try? I dunno, the wheel keeps spinning, I'll press the button again ?️? ☢️ ?

New York - Interesting new twist to the story of backers - tweeted out from the Daily Telegraph 7th of May - Possible involvement from Australian Team........

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/sea-eagles/manly-owner-scott-penn-in-talks-for-new-york-expansion-plans/news-story/af6037b75321c49ecc498c70312d61b5

3 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

New York - Interesting new twist to the story of backers - tweeted out from the Daily Telegraph 7th of May - Possible involvement from Australian Team........

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/sea-eagles/manly-owner-scott-penn-in-talks-for-new-york-expansion-plans/news-story/af6037b75321c49ecc498c70312d61b5

Manly were talked about ages ago too. They do seem to struggle running their own club though, never mind backing another.

18 hours ago, RobertAM said:

hey they elected Trump and he's from NY...anything goes in the Untied States!

Yep, and how'd that work out. ?

Archived