South Africa RL now associate member of SA rugby union

Interesting 

https://m.sport24.co.za/Rugby/sa-rugby-back-in-the-black-with-modest-r2m-profit-20190403

The meeting also accepted into associate membership South African Rugby League. The application was made under the terms of the requirements of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) which directs that all similar sports fall under one national mother body.

Every South African I've ever met who has dabbled in a bit of Rugby League says the same thing, "If they had it back home, people would love it." 

They have to control it.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

How different do we need to be to stop being similar?

Genuine question. Are there other differences we can make that would make us enough different to stop ###### like this happening all the time (without fundamentally changing the game)?

Name and some different coloured lines would do it, maybe even using the American Football style posts. However obviously that's massively contentious.

3 hours ago, Chamey said:

Name and some different coloured lines would do it, maybe even using the American Football style posts. However obviously that's massively contentious.

Only the name is contentious.

Posts seems an interesting idea.

Don't think colouring the lines differently would be any change. We already have different measurements.

Different shaped ball?...

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I think it's telling that some newer nations aren't calling it Rugby League at all.  For instance, Chile were calling it it Futbol a 13 until they felt they were established.

14 hours ago, themainbrace said:

We can't be controlled by another sport, if this is true, South Africa have to be kicked out of the RLIF.  There's plenty of countries where we are doing well, concentrate on them.

Norway (who are one of the  fasting growing emerging European Nations) are under the "Norges Rugbyforbund".

Yep Norwegian rugby union.

Do we stop their growth because the countries NIF (Olympic Associatiton who are the main distributers of grants in many countries) placed them under the Rugbyforbund ???

Rugby League now have twelve registered clubs compared to the dwindling number of union clubs, which now stand at five.

Norges Rugbyforbund also has Aussie Rules ,Wheelchair rugby and Galic sports under its umbrella, yet League is now the "majority" in the organisation.

In fact Kim Andre Seglem was elected as the new leader/chairman and he is 500% a League guy.?

This reconigition has allowed Norwegian RL to access funding and to grow.

Without the NIF recognising rugby league  I doubt they would now have twelve clubs or be playing Greece in a World Cup qualifier next weekend.

One other point.

People seem to forget that in the majority of countries (maybe all ) rugby union also have to be members of their home Olympic commitee ,which believe it or not has more authority than World Rugby.

So the South African RL is part of the RU which is controlled by SASCOC.

Do you really think World Rugby would allow Norway and South Africa  RL to become part of their "club" unless the relevent Olympic Comittees had not forced them to accept the sport ??

Union are not in total control ,its the SASCOC in SA and NIF in Norway .

Until more Olympic Associations through out Europe and the World recognise RL, funding  and therefore growth, will always be difficult to come by, hence the reason why the RLIF are now chasing up membership of Sport Accord/GAISF as a stand alone sport .

Until that happens any country being placed under the union umbrella by their Olympic Association have at least gained some recognition which allows access to funds. 

That cant be a bad thing .

Yanto has a good point, well made. But we have to take each country as a separate judgement.

I doubt that Norwegian RU has anywhere near as poisonous a reputation as their South African counterparts and, as he says, Norwegian RU is not the massively dominant force in the relationship.

However, the SARU have made recent supportive statements regarding SARL's difficulties with recognition. RL down there is in a weak position, and may have to hold their noses and make a reluctant choice based on pragmatism. Whether it will backfire, we'll have to wait and see.

Fingers crossed!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I bow to your superior knowledge Yanto and I'm aware you've also put a lot of time and effort into developing RL.

I suppose I was just worried that this might set a precedent or there might be some domino effect that it harder to get recognition across international sporting bodies.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Yanto has a good point, well made. But we have to take each country as a separate judgement.

I doubt that Norwegian RU has anywhere near as poisonous a reputation as their South African counterparts and, as he says, Norwegian RU is not the massively dominant force in the relationship.

However, the SARU have made recent supportive statements regarding SARL's difficulties with recognition. RL down there is in a weak position, and may have to hold their noses and make a reluctant choice based on pragmatism. Whether it will backfire, we'll have to wait and see.

Fingers crossed!

35 minutes ago, themainbrace said:

I bow to your superior knowledge Yanto and I'm aware you've also put a lot of time and effort into developing RL.

I suppose I was just worried that this might set a precedent or there might be some domino effect that it harder to get recognition across international sporting bodies.

Once (IF) the RL get full membership of GAISF / Sport Accord (and recognition in our own right as a stand alone sport) then this type of umbrella membership may stop.

Until that time if it opens up some form of funding then  no one can really blame the (smaller) developing nations to accept the direction their relevent Olympic Association pushes them in.

Not ideal but for lesser nations such as Norway it has actually gave them a platform to develop and seen them take over the running of the Rugby Forbund  and union is now playing second fiddle.

SA a different ball game I agree but at least the SARL are now officially recognised by the authorities.

On 13/05/2019 at 21:36, yanto said:

Norway (who are one of the  fasting growing emerging European Nations) are under the "Norges Rugbyforbund".

Yep Norwegian rugby union.

Do we stop their growth because the countries NIF (Olympic Associatiton who are the main distributers of grants in many countries) placed them under the Rugbyforbund ???

Rugby League now have twelve registered clubs compared to the dwindling number of union clubs, which now stand at five.

Norges Rugbyforbund also has Aussie Rules ,Wheelchair rugby and Galic sports under its umbrella, yet League is now the "majority" in the organisation.

In fact Kim Andre Seglem was elected as the new leader/chairman and he is 500% a League guy.?

This reconigition has allowed Norwegian RL to access funding and to grow.

Without the NIF recognising rugby league  I doubt they would now have twelve clubs or be playing Greece in a World Cup qualifier next weekend.

One other point.

People seem to forget that in the majority of countries (maybe all ) rugby union also have to be members of their home Olympic commitee ,which believe it or not has more authority than World Rugby.

So the South African RL is part of the RU which is controlled by SASCOC.

Do you really think World Rugby would allow Norway and South Africa  RL to become part of their "club" unless the relevent Olympic Comittees had not forced them to accept the sport ??

Union are not in total control ,its the SASCOC in SA and NIF in Norway .

Until more Olympic Associations through out Europe and the World recognise RL, funding  and therefore growth, will always be difficult to come by, hence the reason why the RLIF are now chasing up membership of Sport Accord/GAISF as a stand alone sport .

Until that happens any country being placed under the union umbrella by their Olympic Association have at least gained some recognition which allows access to funds. 

That cant be a bad thing .

Eventually, 'World Rugby' (sic) will want ownership of all forms of rugby football,  mainly, Rugby League. A weak RFL and FFRXIII are doing our game no justice. Only the ARLC/NRL are in a strong position to resist any subtle political moves to entice or force RL to 'come home' to yawnion.

Archived