Favourite quotes

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Stuart Pearce to Brian Clough “ why am I in the second team ? “ ...Cloughie “ because we don’t have a third team “

Cloughie to Larry Lloyd in a dressing room argument "you're the fella who won 2 England caps on the same day - your first and your ###### last......."

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

“It’s like you’re running a marathon, at pace, while surviving about 20 or 40 small car crashes.” 

Russell Crowe describes rugby league to an American audience.

“For me, it’s the hardest sport in the world. It takes dedication, discipline and mental strength. You accept constant physical punishment. You push your body right to the limit. It’s something that I’ve always been inspired by. It’s too tough for me. Deep down, I would love to be a rugby league player.”

Tour de France winner, Sir Bradley Wiggins

“It’s the first time I’ve been cold for seven years. I was never cold playing Rugby League.” 

Jonathan Davies describes his return to Rugby Union.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

"Nothing can possibly go wrong now!" Barcelona fans (2019)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

I think there is a worldwide market for maybe five computers

Thomas J Watson (CEO of IBM 1914 - 1956)

IBM have named their bright new(ish) AI tool after him IBM Watson (not as some mistakenly think Sherlock Holmes's sidekick).

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

6 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

IBM have named their bright new(ish) AI tool after him IBM Watson (not as some mistakenly think Sherlock Holmes's sidekick).

Sherlock is commemorated in the Home Office Large Major Enquiry System (2) software package used by every police force in the country.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest someone crowbarred some words into a name to make the acronym work. 

7 hours ago, Moose said:

One that always makes me smile

"Glenn McGrath dismissed for two, just ninety-eight runs short of his century".   Richie Benaud

“ No point looking for that let alone chasing it . It’s gone straight into the confectionary stall and out again “ .

The greatest commentator himself during Beefys innnings in the greatest test at headingley 

The mountains are calling and I must go. - John Muir

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

"No thank you"  Clement Attlee having announced a General Election and being asked if he wish to make any further comment.

"A period of silence from you would be very welcome"  Clement Attlee to Harold Laskey

"Not good enough"  Clement Attlee when asked why by a cabinet minister he'd just sacked.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.
- Albert Einstein

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet.
- Stephen Hawking

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
- Aldous Huxley

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
- Douglas Adams

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

"Do not mind anything that anyone tells you about anyone else. Judge everyone and everything for yourself." - Henry James

"It is far better to be alone than to be in bad company." - George Washington 

"They say I'm old-fashioned, and live in the past, but sometimes I think progress progresses too fast!" - Dr. Seuss

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Archived