Warrington rebrand?

25 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I wonder how many tweets they get meant for Wolverhampton Wanderers (@wolves)?

Not many previously.  But they might be now given that 'Wolves' are in Europe next season.

A pity "wire" does not crop up more predominantly. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I wonder how many tweets they get meant for Wolverhampton Wanderers (@wolves)?

Not a bad thing IMO.   Anything that accidentally opens the club to new markets and spreads the brand slightly southwards can only be good for the club AND Rugby League I reckon.   In terms of markets for both 'Wolves' brands, if you draw a 30 minute driving time 'potential market' radius from both towns, they would overlap.   So if there's any Wolverhampton fans in North Shropshire they might get curious about this other Wolves team 30 mins north and try a game...   you never know.

If there ever was a serious future rebrand I'm almost certain it would retain the Grey Wolf of Cheshire theme, and probably the town name too (even if it were marketed as Warrington-Cheshire or some other mouthful).   Wolfie is one of the best mascots in sport and I don't even want to contemplate want we'd replace him with if we drop the wolf theme - a skinny bit of Wire costume?  Persil-man? ?  The most likely source for new fans is going to be other Cheshire towns like Chester and Crewe that can at least associate the Wolves with their county (cue age-old Lancashire-Cheshire debate) - we're certainly not to going to convert current RL fans in Widnes, St Helens or Wigan are we?

I've also wondered why the club don't actively target North Wales.   We're 20 mins from the border and about 30 mins from their biggest town.  And we know they like Rugby already.

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Changed their social media handles to @WarringtonRLFC from @wolvesrl. Are ther planning on dropping the Wolves moniker?

I genuinely hope not, although I thought similar when I saw the recent change.

I think this is one example of the branding working well. 

We get people referring to us as Warrington RLFC, Warrington Wolves, or just The Wolves, or The Wire. It is all good. No need for change, hopefully it is just a bit of tidying up and consistency being applied.

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Wouldn't have thought so. The current rebrand is only 2 years old!

Plus Wolfie is one of the most active mascots in the game...

That’s what I thought, although they have included The Wire on the new crest, can think of another team who use two nicknames (Leeds for example don’t use both Rhinos and Loiners). Recently they’ve really taken advantage of Wolfie to market themselves.

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Wouldn't have thought so. The current rebrand is only 2 years old!

Plus Wolfie is one of the most active mascots in the game...

True. He only just lost to John Higgins in the snooker world championship last week.

rldfsignature.jpg

20 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Changed their social media handles to @WarringtonRLFC from @wolvesrl. Are ther planning on dropping the Wolves moniker?

IMHO its probably to do with searches.. people are more likely to search Warrington RLFC than "Wolves" to tag them just because we refer to teams more by the place than the nickname where as in "The States" they would refer to "The Broncos" or "The Patriots" rather than Denver or New England. I would say its someone in the team who has done some number crunching and worked something like that out so changed it.

In general I'm not really a fan of adding animal names to teams, I understand the reasons behind it but it always seems a bit cringy and Americanised to me, I'm probably just old fashioned but I much prefer Wakefield Trinity to Wildcats.

Having said that, I actually think Warrington Wolves is one of the better attempts and I can't see them getting rid of it.

42 minutes ago, fevtom said:

In general I'm not really a fan of adding animal names to teams, I understand the reasons behind it but it always seems a bit cringy and Americanised to me, I'm probably just old fashioned but I much prefer Wakefield Trinity to Wildcats.

Having said that, I actually think Warrington Wolves is one of the better attempts and I can't see them getting rid of it.

It would be nice if teams could at least choose a nickname that has some connection with the town or club.   For Warrington the grey wolf of Cheshire forms part of the coat of arms of the town*, and the colours of the club are fairly similar to the county flag (although I believe they were chosen by Lady Daresbury in the 19th century as she liked Primroses).

It doesn’t have to be animals of course, there’s no shame in paying homage to a former industry such as use of the Steelers name etc.

I agree Wildcats is a bit cringeworthy and not very original, unless there’s a history of feral moggies plaguing the town centre? ?

*EDIT:   Turns out the grey wolf is also nicked from the arms of the first Earl of Chester, Hugh Lupus.   The very first animal used on the coat was actually known as 'The Rampant Unicorn' - which I'm sure you will agree would create no end of difficulties for the mascot costume makers ?

21 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I've also wondered why the club don't actively target North Wales.   We're 20 mins from the border and about 30 mins from their biggest town.  And we know they like Rugby already.

'Ere, gerroff moy laaand ?

...actually, I do have Wire as my second team.....

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

22 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Always thought similar with Saints/Widnes and Ireland. Hour flight, Rugby mad, there must be a possibility of generating income from there. 

12 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Always thought similar with Saints/Widnes and Ireland. Hour flight, Rugby mad, there must be a possibility of generating income from there. 

Seriously though, you don’t think targeting towns within a certain drive-time radius will bear fruit in the future?

I’m sure even Saints have bigger ideas than just focusing on their town centre core supporter base.

1 hour ago, fevtom said:

The difference is that Trinity is a totally unique name and its the clubs actual name, not a moniker and probably as famous as the Wakefield bit so the 'wildcats' was never needed.

The Wolves is a recent addition whilst the Wire was always just a nickname.

Hence the 'Wolves' works just fine for me and I personally can't see any need to drop it. Its also strong and even slightly accurate as at one point there would have been wolves in the Warrington area, where as I doubt there were ever any Rhinos in Leeds.

8 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

The difference is that Trinity is a totally unique name and its the clubs actual name, not a moniker and probably as famous as the Wakefield bit so the 'wildcats' was never needed.

The Wolves is a recent addition whilst the Wire was always just a nickname.

Hence the 'Wolves' works just fine for me and I personally can't see any need to drop it. Its also strong and even slightly accurate as at one point there would have been wolves in the Warrington area, where as I doubt there were ever any Rhinos in Leeds.

Wire isn’t merely a nickname. It relates to the tradition of Wire pulling in the town. Originally we were known as the Wirepullers, but this was naturally shortened to The Wire.

10 hours ago, fevtom said:

It is all about what you do with it. Just adding a commercial nickname means worse than nothing. Warrington (and Wolfie) have taken the name and worked on it, as Bradford Bulls did before the crash.

Where the lack of engagement comes from is when a club takes on a new nickname and does nothing significant with it. Wakefield might have changed your mind if their approach had been different. As it is, most/all of us welcomed the retirement of the "Wildcats" identity.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Teessidewire said:

Wire isn’t merely a nickname. It relates to the tradition of Wire pulling in the town. Originally we were known as the Wirepullers, but this was naturally shortened to The Wire.

Yes but it’s not in your club name is it? No more than dreadnowts is Wakefield or the steam pigs were Bradford or at least I can’t see it anywhere ie I’ve never seen you referred to as Warrington Wire in the media.

it May be more than a nickname  fair enough but it’s not your name, Trinity and Northern is/was our name.

Archived