Famous Misquotes

To compliment the Favourite Quotes thread . It got me thinking of all the famous misquotes that have gone down through time as accepted fact or seeped into the consciousness .

For instance Neil Armstrong commented he didn’t say “ one small step for man “ , it made no sense , but “ one small step for a man “ but static interfered . 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

To compliment the Favourite Quotes thread . It got me thinking of all the famous misquotes ...

... that are on that thread?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Humphrey Bogart never said Play it again Sam

And James Cagney never said "you dirty rat"

However, I believe Robert Newton definitely said "aarrgh, Jim Laaard!" ?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

6 hours ago, Shadow said:

William Shatner never said "Beam me up, Scotty"

However, George Takei, when playing a drunken doctor in the 1994 film 'Oblivion', addressed his bottle of whiskey with the words "Jim... Beam me up!".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Einstein never said that.The Ultimate Quotable Einstein traces the quote to Rita Mae Brown's 1983 book Sudden Death, but it's almost certainly older than that. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/personalfinance/accepting-responsibilty-australia-issues-dollar16-billion-in-bank-notes-with-typo/ar-AAB8lb7?ocid=spartanntp

It's taken Australia since October last year to notice a misquote on their $50 banknote. This is because the average Aussie doesn't see a $50 note long enough to examine it, before heading to the pub, or because not many people can spell responsibility. Think it's the first.

Archived