Ross Livermore Memorial Lecture Brisbane Sat 18th May - Australians in England

Thought I'd post / advertise this just in case anyone who frequents here happens to live in SEQ or will just happen to be in the area next weekend ?

Regularly get along to these annual lectures and get to mix with the odd ex player, referee, administrator or journo.

The scones with jam and cream are always a winner as well ?

https://stevericketts.com.au/2019/05/10/2019-ross-livermore-memorial-lecture-australians-in-england/

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting point raised at the lecture last weekend re the influx of Aussies and Kiwis to England.  New QRL History Committee President Steve Ricketts spoke of how the numbers substantially increased between the Kangaroo tours of 1978 and 1986.  Guessing the International Transfer Ban may have been lifted during this time.   

Michael Hagan who was the guest speaker of the day spoke glowingly of his stay in England and admiration for the RL fans in England. 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

It was lifted around 1982 I think, a mad example of protectionism which makes some of our recent more "conservative" administrators and owners look like expansionist zealots by comparison. Not sure who thought it up or why, presumably it was because top players like Mal Reilly were going off to Australia and closed shops etc were the accepted thing in the 70's. I suspect Parksider probably had a hand in it though....

4 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

It was lifted around 1982 I think, a mad example of protectionism which makes some of our recent more "conservative" administrators and owners look like expansionist zealots by comparison. Not sure who thought it up or why, presumably it was because top players like Mal Reilly were going off to Australia and closed shops etc were the accepted thing in the 70's. I suspect Parksider probably had a hand in it though....

It was lifted in the late 70s IIRC. Hull signed Kemble, O’Hara and Leuluai after the 1980 Kiwi tour but Kemble had already played in the UK with New Hunslet. In the mid 80s Halifax and Leeds were awash with Aussies. The ban was originally brought in because of a dispute between Hull KR and Manly over Phil Lowe’s return to England.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived