NRL Magic Weekend

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Early in the week they said 130,000 tickets had been sold and more than half were multi day passes.

Can that even be possible? (Genuine question?)

That would mean at least 195k attendance over 4 days.

Havent they had 17k, 41k and 41k? 99k. Meaning the most they can get is 149k.

Edit. So it meant 130k total I assume, apologies! 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Ah ok, so half the teams are giving up a home game? 

The Brisbane decision is bizarre then, surely use it as a home game so they aren't advantaged.

I believe the "home" teams get a share of the ticket income as if they actually were at home. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edit: double post.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Ah ok, so half the teams are giving up a home game? 

The Brisbane decision is bizarre then, surely use it as a home game so they aren't advantaged.

5 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Yeah that’s what I thought but I only heard it in commentary yesterday so maybe someone can confirm it. 

This is the third year in succession  that Manly  have played their home game against Brisbane at Suncorp. The previous two years the game was part of a double header the other two teams involved Melbourne who also sacrificed a home game and Gold Coast.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

10 hours ago, The Partisan said:

By the way if not noticed before,  7 of the 8 games are Sydney based teams v non - Sydney based teams.  Traditionally these are the games that attract lower crowds in Sydney, whereas here in a festival format the games are well supported. 

Seems sensible.  Australia of course is continental sized country so it would make it a stretch for all the fans from the east to go to the West in Perth.

17 hours ago, Dave T said:

For three games? That is often described as failure in SL.

I don't think it is by the way, but this is a comp that is far more popular than SL playing in an RL hotbed.

Has a super league magic weekend gotten 41k on a single day? 

2 hours ago, hutch said:

Has a super league magic weekend gotten 41k on a single day? 

68k over 2 days at Newcastle is the record.

The average weekly attendance in the NRL so far this year has been a bit over 129k.

So the magic weekend in Brisbane will be slightly better attended than a normal round of matches, and SL Magic weekend also gets slightly more than a normal round of matches.

I've noticed that the a crowd number is counted for each match and they vary quite a bit. In the UK, it’s a total figure per day. So when I tabulate the UK attendances for a season, the MW is added to the total and becomes part of the the total average but isn’t applied to the club average. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

26 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I've noticed that the a crowd number is counted for each match and they vary quite a bit. In the UK, it’s a total figure per day. So when I tabulate the UK attendances for a season, the MW is added to the total and becomes part of the the total average but isn’t applied to the club average. 

What numbers have they announced per match, I have only seen daily figs.

38 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't know how they would know per match figures.

It would be total tickets sold per day unless they know how many left the stadium in between matches there would be no idea on the numbers per match.

Peter Beattie has been inflating some of the figures as he would.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

On Wiki NRL 2019 season results they had attendances broken down by game. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

44 minutes ago, RayCee said:

How are they doing that?

Maybe Beattie is giving them the numbers.

He is the worst appointment in living memory and I go back a bit and there have been plenty of contenders.

56 minutes ago, RayCee said:

13 minutes ago, Allora said:

How are they doing that?

He is the worst appointment in living memory and I go back a bit and there have been plenty of contenders.

I assume they have counters in and out?

26 minutes ago, Allora said:

How are they doing that?

Beattie hasn't really done anything wrong.

He's come out and said he's not in it for the long haul. He's there to make changes, ruffle some feathers and leave. I think it's great.

Otherwise you have these career administrators that only make decisions on what it will mean for their career.

new rise.jpg

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I assume they have counters in and out?

You have to be counted going in.

Going out you just walk out.
If you bought a ticket for the day as they were sold you could walked in and out several times I would have thought.

Not wanting to be a crowd pessimist but I am surprised at the figures they appear optimistic from what I saw on TV.

We were going to go and watch Parra v Storm (thank god we didn't) but the pricing did not work to watch just the one game as we had no interest in being there all day for three games.

28 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Beattie hasn't really done anything wrong.

He's come out and said he's not in it for the long haul. He's there to make changes, ruffle some feathers and leave. I think it's great.

Otherwise you have these career administrators that only make decisions on what it will mean for their career.

What has he done?

He has not made any decisions that mean anything that I can see.

He says a lot but delivers little. 

Why would our game hire a Politician with his track record?

21 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

134,000+ across four days and clubs gaining significantly financially. 

If those figures are accurate

Was the Clubs costs in Travel, Accommodation and expenses factored into the numbers?

I am not a fan of this concept, it looked half arsed and for a local it was expensive to attend, I only wanted to see my team play another team I would not normally see in Brisbane, the ticketing prices for the worst seat in the house were significantly more expensive than seeing Parramatta V Brisbane.

Archived