9 minutes ago, RS said:

In what way is Anfield not user friendly? 50  odd thousand manage once a fortnight. 

The requirements for an individual game of football with a high percentage of locals is completely different to the requirements for a two day festival of non-local Rugby fans expected to hang around for 4 to 8 hours per day.

14 minutes ago, RS said:

In what way is Anfield not user friendly? 50  odd thousand manage once a fortnight. 

Because, I imagine, they're not sat there all day and well into the night, possibly for 2 consecutive days with barely anywhere to get refreshments around the stadium should they wish to do so.

For a football match every 2 weeks that's not a problem.

I would be surprised if we get more than 50k for this over the 2 days. 

Incidentally, having watched much of the challenge cup and the NRL magic games, over the last 4 days, the standard of NH play relative to the NRL must be at an all time low. I honestly wouldn’t back our top sides to beat the 16th best NRL side. God loves a trier and our game is entertaining whatever level it is played at, but our games look semi pro compared to the base level of skills they reach even in a bad game. 

5 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I would be surprised if we get more than 50k for this over the 2 days. 

Incidentally, having watched much of the challenge cup and the NRL magic games, over the last 4 days, the standard of NH play relative to the NRL must be at an all time low. I honestly wouldn’t back our top sides to beat the 16th best NRL side. God loves a trier and our game is entertaining whatever level it is played at, but our games look semi pro compared to the base level of skills they reach even in a bad game. 

Are you ok EW, you seem to be on a hell of a downer with the game at the moment?

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Are you ok EW, you seem to be on a hell of a downer with the game at the moment?

Am good thanks.

i am down on the game over here. I have been away in NZ, and spending a lot of time watching and reflecting on the NRL. Where they are now, and their upwards trajectory, makes our game look second rate today and potentially third rate in the not too distant. It is such a shame, and it annoys me that:

- we have no drawing power and are likely to have less and less (as offiah pointed out recently I think); 

- our solution is to think of more and more ways to drink from the same well; 

- it is sad to compare, say, Catalans with the Warriors, and how one club has been a focal point for the whole game in a country and the other is a rich man’s play thing as a retirement home for once talented players; and 

- Wigan are of course stuck in a limbo on and off the field, likely leaving little of interest till the HAC by the end of June. 

So, a perfect storm of annoyance and frustration. Without turning into DSK, I am struggling to see the point of, say, dragging the same people to Anfield as went to Newcastle (a region with genuine potential) or, indeed, Barcelona if we end up with only a few more than for Wire’s trip. 

Aside from that, was v pleased to see Bradford win. Their fans have been through the mill! 

13 hours ago, RS said:

90 minutes in one of those cramped seats might be palatable to fans who always seem to stand in the Kop. To expect people to sit there for 2 days is an utter joke the leg room available is just about big enough for primary school kids. Not a patch on St James park for location or facilities.

On 12/05/2019 at 20:48, Exiled Wiganer said:

I have a long way to go, but a lot of Wiganers won’t have far to go. I am sure many will turn up, as they always do, but mostly out of loyalty rather than any sense of awe to be playing Wire again, down the road. 

You should be so lucky ! ! LOL ?

Image result for warrington wolfie

I see all the clubs are extending the MW 50% off with a season ticket offer ex. Do I sense panic at super league HQ? I'm pro Rob Elstone but this is his first major test and it could really ramp up some criticism of him if the weekend is a dud. Personally I'm not a big fan of the venue choice for this type of event. 

I've only ever attended the MW in Cardiff, but in terms of proximity of the venue to the city centre (and all the bars and restaurants) its second to none. If Anfield is isolated and as one poster claims the seats are narrow with little legroom then it is less hospitable than other venues might be. Its surprising sometimes, how apparently small details have significant knock-on effects.

I hope the event is a massive success, but I do believe it should be taken to areas like (Newcastle, Coventry, London or Cardiff for example) where it might help in promoting the sport where we have promising signs of growth.

20 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I've only ever attended the MW in Cardiff, but in terms of proximity of the venue to the city centre (and all the bars and restaurants) its second to none. If Anfield is isolated and as one poster claims the seats are narrow with little legroom then it is less hospitable than other venues might be. Its surprising sometimes, how apparently small details have significant knock-on effects.

I hope the event is a massive success, but I do believe it should be taken to areas like (Newcastle, Coventry, London or Cardiff for example) where it might help in promoting the sport where we have promising signs of growth.

Not to Coventry, we would be paying a competitor, not growing our game. Newcastle was perfect. 

59 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

And yet, more than ever before we have players going over to the NRL and standing out.

I have no doubt that we have easily 7 or 8 squads worth of NRL standard players in SL. 8 squads who could go over there and be competitive. Thrive, not survive. Maybe not win it but be competing for the 8. 

In fact if we were to merge competitions and ask clubs to step up I think there are clubs like Wigan, saints, leeds, les catalans, warrington, hull who would take advantage of the additional visibility and prestige and the additional revenue they could generate and improve quite dramatically.

The problem we have as a game over here is we dont have 8 clubs in SL, concentrating talent and pushing each other forward. We have 12, some just happy to exist.

We barely have 8 full squads of top SL standard players hence the league table showing clubs with minus point difference in the top 5 and the fact that the top 2 can beat other play off position teams by 60 points without breaking sweat.

I would love to read of the 160 plus NRL standard players though...to add to the less than 10 who have actually been good enough to be signed by the NRL.

If an SL team played an NRL team mid season or in "play off mode" it would be anywhere from 30 - 80 points difference.

What you may see at Magic this year, with it being local for more teams, is that they will stay for one game and then go home. In somewhere like Newcastle or Cardiff, they may have been more likely to stay for the next game, or catch the one before.

Interesting to see the rumour that Tottenham are reportedly interested in hosting next year.

I support many of the above comments, have been to every Magic but am least enthused this year purely due to it being at Anfield. Nothing to do outside the ground and we will probably have a picnic on Stanley Park, then just watch the Wigan Wire game before heading home. No point staying over as its close to home and hotel prices are shocking. There will be dramatically less spending from fans in the local economy this year, which I thought was why cities want to host it. Newcastle is my favourite location for this event, be happy if they go back there next year.

8 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

I support many of the above comments, have been to every Magic but am least enthused this year purely due to it being at Anfield. Nothing to do outside the ground and we will probably have a picnic on Stanley Park, then just watch the Wigan Wire game before heading home. No point staying over as its close to home and hotel prices are shocking. There will be dramatically less spending from fans in the local economy this year, which I thought was why cities want to host it. Newcastle is my favourite location for this event, be happy if they go back there next year.

I genuinely hope it is a success as Magic is one of my favorite events.

And here comes the but....

I have been to every venue they have held MW at, and always the first year at a new ground, as that is exciting, I am not a creature of habit, I enjoy new stadiums, new cities, new bars, new hotels etc. I was bored by Newcastle in the end so I welcome the move. But Anfield just doesn't do it, I am not going despite being in the area for the weekend.

I can't help but feel that the organisers haven't really grasped what makes a good MW venue. On a pure fan level I think they need to consider: Stadium comfort, local area facilities, transport links, fanzone options. Anfield seems to rank low on a few of these things. 

I really think they needed to go big on the fanzone to cover for some of the other things, but they seem to have given up on making a real effort on this nowadays, Newcastle's was the worst I had seen and tbh it became an almighty pee up - to the point that it wasn't pleasant last time I went. In the earlier years I felt it had a better family feel. Sure, get drunk if you want, but there was always a good fanzone with games for families, plus things like mascot olympics.

I know Murrayfield wasn't necessarily the most popular, but the fanzone there was excellent, loads of sponsor stalls, there was legends tag tournament on the pitches  outside, space for picnics etc. It was a good day out (when the weather was good!). Man City was probably the most comfortable stadium with best facilities.

7 hours ago, RayCee said:

If SL keeps reducing the number of teams, MW could eventually be a one day affair. At least the matches will feature teams of “Super League quality”.

When you have to play the other 5 teams 6 times, to ensure a decent league programme, I suppose a 7th game won't seem much of an issue. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

19 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

I see all the clubs are extending the MW 50% off with a season ticket offer ex. . 

Where did you hear about this?, I just rang Hull FC and they said the discount ran out on 30th April and they know nothing about it being extended.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I don't see the point of giving an end date to the offer. 

Sell as many tickets as we can now.

I noticed also that Dewsbury (iirc) have sold out of day tickets for Summer Bash but still have weekend tickets. At this stage these tickets should be sold off individually if that's what people want. 

It frustrates the hell out of me when you see poor sales techniques and then thousands of empty seats. Our methods actively put people off time and time again.

In spite of me phoning Hull FC at 10am today and them telling me the deadline expired on April 30th and thats it, they've now announced on their website it's now extended until Sunday.

Sheesh!

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Where did you hear about this?, I just rang Hull FC and they said the discount ran out on 30th April and they know nothing about it being extended.

I'd have serious words with them on your next call as this was posted yesterday and by every other club

Screenshot_20190516_165958_com.twitter.android.jpg

Archived