Hull vs Castleford - 6,230

Wakefield vs Widnes - c.2k

Dewsbury vs Halifax - 1,207

Salford vs Hull KR - c. 2k

Bradford vs Leeds - 10,258

Catalans vs Doncaster - c. 4k

Warrington vs Wigan - 7,086

Huddersfield vs St Helens - 3,233

Can't find the other attendances, but put a prediction based on their averages and the fact it's the cup usually means it's around half of what it usually would be.

That's about 35k for 8 games, or about 4.5k a game. Looks awful on TV. Wouldn't this be a much better scene for a Magic Weekend style event? Novelty of a new ground to visit and other games to watch may attract new audiences to travel as well as locals from that area.

Even just somewhere not too far like Bramall Lane would be a great place to visit and could start to help a place like Sheffield build more of an interest in the sport. 4 games each day. Job done.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It would be better if teams did more to entice people to turn up. 

Go on then, tell us how they entice people.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Attendances are poor.  The Bradford game only being presentable.  The TV/Satellite games possibly restricted both visitors and home fans.

I cannot criticise, I live miles away I have not travelled to a game for a long time.  I'm not sure where we go. Are people giving up on watching live?  Is there something troubling and fundamental going on? 

As a side note, the good Bradford crowd demonstrates why we need Bradford back in Super League. On the other hand, the poor Salford crowd shows why we don't need Salford in Super League.

59 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Magic for this round, triple header for the semi's, double header for the final.

Stack em high sell em cheap really isn't how you build prestige

It's not about stacking them high and selling them cheap. It's about making a different event so that people come. Home cup games just feel like a rip off repeat of a SL game at present. I much prefer the neutral element. Semis and finals and Magic Weekend have a different feel to them. It's hard to sell the CC as anything other than an extra game you have to pay for until the semis.

We talk about these big cities being key to the growth of the game. Let's hold events in them that could attract people.

I think using the Challenge Cup - a historic competition with a national profile but under sold in recent times - would be a good vehicle, and the prospect of visiting new places will increase interest again for fans (rather than much of the sameness).

7 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

As a side note, the good Bradford crowd demonstrates why we need Bradford back in Super League. On the other hand, the poor Salford crowd shows why we don't need Salford in Super League.

That's not a side note. What counts is performance on the field. 

Just now, Lobbygobbler said:

Get rid of seeding. It is an utter load of garbage and a failure. Better to seed it so only 4 SL clubs can qualify for the last 16 and then they have to play away

Get rid of seeding...

Then you tell us a new idea involving seeding...

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Get rid of seeding...

Then you tell us a new idea involving seeding...

If you are going to have seeding then make it harder for the clubs who already have the advantages.

personally I think we should ditch it and make SL clubs play away at lower league clubs. I would also apply the same for championship clubs at League 1 clubs

Play less games overall, a sixth or seventh edition of Wigan v Warrington in less than twelve months, may actually feel like a big game instead of a “oh...again?!” feel about it, like it does now. 

No offence meant to those particular clubs but we see the same games over and over again and how are you supposed to sell that again and again and again in one year? 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Play less games overall, a sixth or seventh edition of Wigan v Warrington in less than twelve months, may actually feel like a big game instead of a “oh...again?!” feel about it, like it does now. 

No offence meant to those particular clubs but we see the same games over and over again and how are you supposed to sell that again and again and again in one year? 

This is the issue with having only so many clubs: you can only have so many competitions without having repeat fixtures. You need to make those other fixtures different in order to sell them.

32 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

And the Bradford crowd shows less is more

Get a fun day atmosphere going. Family passes, kids entertainment, beer tent for the older kids etc. 

Alternatively, adding value may help too. A free drink coupon for every entrant. Spot prizes. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I don't disagree with a lot of that, but I think you need to look at the practicalities of doing that in a knock out cup competition and what kind of image of the cup that gives out to the wider audience. 

I think you also need to look at how we are 'offering something different' when in reality we have this multi-game event happening at magic, the semi's and final now round 6 (which by the way is a week before magic this year).

Practically fixtures drawn at the end of april for a weekend 2 or 3 weeks later, when the fixtures aren't particularly attractive, when a week later there is magic, when the competition as a whole struggles for attractiveness just doesn't scream success in any way shape or form. 

The CC needs root and branch reform, its very premise is proving to be a difficult sell for all sports for a long time now. Outside the final and its terrestrial coverage the CC is a failure that isn't pulling its weight. 

I agree with a lot you say there. 

On your point about it being close to Magic, I'd simply remove it from SL and make it the Cup Round 6. In terms of selling tickets, you'd know who the top 8 are so they could still plan to attend the event. If it needs to be day specific, could always have "pot A" and "pot B" drawn in advance so you know which day you'd play on. It wouldn't stop locals potentially buying tickets, however.

I love the concept of Magic, but I don't like it as a league event. Why make it a bolt on when you can make it a fundamental part of the competition? The Challenge Cup could become RL's version of Premier League Darts - something the Hearns may be able to promote.

8 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Get a fun day atmosphere going. Family passes, kids entertainment, beer tent for the older kids etc. 

Alternatively, adding value may help too. A free drink coupon for every entrant. Spot prizes. 

Aren't these a lot of ideas that could/should be applied to every game?

33 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Oh I agree plus don't forget the two teams have the joy of meeting again at the magic weekend..

4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's not about stacking them high and selling them cheap. It's about making a different event so that people come. Home cup games just feel like a rip off repeat of a SL game at present. I much prefer the neutral element. Semis and finals and Magic Weekend have a different feel to them. It's hard to sell the CC as anything other than an extra game you have to pay for until the semis.

We talk about these big cities being key to the growth of the game. Let's hold events in them that could attract people.

I think using the Challenge Cup - a historic competition with a national profile but under sold in recent times - would be a good vehicle, and the prospect of visiting new places will increase interest again for fans (rather than much of the sameness).

Those big cities are the key to the growth of the game and it will take events to attract their residents to the sport.

However going on 40 years of experience in London should show that as a (widely perceived as other posters have stated) small northern sport for northerners populated predominantly by "northern village" teams as another poster recently called them, RL in the northern hemisphere doesn't have anything on which to create such events.  "Magic" and Cup double headers do nothing more than lure existing followers of the game to a single venue and to be frank an event that does not make.

Your suggestion that the Challenge Cup has a national profile is erroneous.  Even after many decades of the Challenge Cup being shown on the BBC, as Dave T has stated he encountered an almost complete lack of awareness of the sport when he moved away from its heartland.

The blunt truth is that only something totally new and outside-the-box could possibly break down the stereotypical view of the sport which the bulk of the British sports following public evidently holds.  Doubling up matches between those "northern village" teams couldn't possibly do that.

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Then Clubs should look at basing their seasons tickets based on CC matches..  Not hard is it!

In fact it's far from easy.  Castleford and Wigan each played exactly one CC match this year away from home and both lost.  Leeds had a virtual walkover at home against Workington after which they also played away and lost.  Considering the random nature of the draw, on that basis any club could be in the same boat as those three, so asking their loyal followers to pay more for season tickets for matches which likely won't add any value is likely to meet genuine resistance.

5 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Aren't these a lot of ideas that could/should be applied to every game?

I agree. But are they? Trying to do something a little bit extra for CC games to get more people along was the angle. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

In fact it's far from easy.  Castleford and Wigan each played exactly one CC match this year away from home and both lost.  Leeds had a virtual walkover at home against Workington after which they also played away and lost.  Considering the random nature of the draw, on that basis any club could be in the same boat as those three, so asking their loyal followers to pay more for season tickets for matches which likely won't add any value is likely to meet genuine resistance.

It’s quite simple, really. Charge the same for a season ticket and have fans opt out of a cup scheme where, if drawn at home, additional money is taken from the season ticket holders account for cup games. 

It’s quite a common thing at the top end of Football. 

Its not something I particularly agree with or think it would suddenly cause an upturn in attendees for CC games but if you’re taking money from people’s bank accounts, they’re probably more likely to turn up. 

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

is likely to meet genuine resistance.

From RL fans? I can't believe this, next they'll be moaning about having to travel to games and how much they're paying for beverages during't match!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived