Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v York City Knights, Summer Bash, Saturday 18th May 2019

What keeps you awake at night? For some people it's financial worries, for others it's family matters or political issues.

For Fev fans, those screaming 4am nightmares come in the form of the Summer Bash.

For whatever reason - let's leave aside the nonsense about jinxes - we have played 4 games at the Bash and have played well for a total ofabout 30 minutes (the start of the second half against Halifax last year). Otherwise it has been a grim watch from beginning to end most years.

There's no rhyme or reason to it really, it's been four totally different sets of players and three different coaches...the 1st year against Leigh it was the era of Maitua, Hitchcox and Verlinden, and Gaz Hock was playing for Leigh and getting sin binned for slapping Jordan Baldwinson. Last year Hock had a great game for us in defeat, this year Baldwinson might be playing against us (though it sounds as though his knee injury will keep him out). So it's not like it's the same group of players that keep freezing each year.

We have had shockers elsewhere in each of those four years, but it's just a shame we have been so bad for the travelling fans and TV viewers at Blackpool each year. Surely, though, this year we have a great chance to get the monkey off our back.

We beat York handsomely at our place recently, which will help motivate them, but their performances recently have been in and out and they seem quite banged up. I listened to Ford's interview after their hard-fought win at Rochdale and he said he was "incredibly disappointed" with his team...and said they are in for a real tough time against us next week if that's the level that they're at.

They are a well-coached, well-motivated team though and they are riding high in third place so we can't afford to be below our best, they bounced back from losing to us to beat Widnes and then nearly won in Toulouse so they are a very dangerous team on their day.

Bussey has been confirmed as out for a few months, but it will be interesting to see if Teteh is fit for selection again. If not, assuming Briscoe is still injured, the backline probably picks itself. It's a big game for Tom Holmes, who got injured at the Bash last year and has only just started his comeback one year later.

The pack played well against Rochdale and it would probably be hard to change it for the York game; I don't know if Wheeldon was injured or left out against Rochdale but I think Harrison did more than enough to keep his place as one of the middles.

We are down in 7th place at the moment, but we have a big opportunity now; if we can break our Blackpool duck, at least one of our other top 5 rivals will be dropping points that weekend (Bradford play Halifax), and then we play Bradford at home a few days before their Challenge Cup quarter final against Fax.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely to god this is the year to break the jinx?

Playing Yorks not best starting 17 presents no better opportunity?

I think we will finally get over the line this year and win a game

Having someone like chizzy in the team is massive - he will give us the x-factor this year

5 hours ago, jamescolin said:

I reckon  we will beat York by a fair margin ending the Summer Bash voodoo.  28-12 my prediction, with Harrison and Chisholm outstanding.

Unfortunately you will , York got 9 players injured but will give 100%.

Enjoyable weekend for all , then we we will beat you in August at bootham crescent .

I suspect the kneets will get well beat but I said the same about Leigh Halifax Widnes etc. Also thought we’d get hammered by Toronto and Toulouse so I hope I’m wrong again 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

22 hours ago, jamescolin said:

We might have the advantage over the 'kneets'  especially if Day is playing. I used to work neets when I was a lad. I hated afternoons though.

Spanish Knight has reacted twice to my posting with a 'face' . The first one was 'confused'. I can only tell you that 'neet' in the old days in Yorkshire meant night. Hence my joke about Day. In the second face it was showing 'sad' about Rangi going to Doncaster.. Why are you sad about me saying I was glad that we didn't CHASE him? I know my humour doesn't suit everybody but let's have a laugh now and then.

Aaaaanyway....... back on thread.......

Spot on analysis once again from the OP. We are all aware of our rotten record at Blackpool, but in 2019 with a whole new bunch of players and a coach it's irrelevant. It's only us fans carrying around those negative memories**. York are whining loudly about injuries, so maybe we're playing them at the right time.

From our perpective, I think we look solid now. Happy to see Render has really established himself in the 17 (FB or wing) Carey fully fit and looking ok, good halfbacks who can only get better with time, and a solid pack. We can pretty much say what our 19 for SB is now, which is a good position to be in. Early season there was a "Who??" moment just about every week.

Two setbacks at the mo' are Teteh and Bussey. Both good players and it's unfortunate for them and us, but injuries are part of the game. They'll be back.

I think the main thing is now we've got that whole DR thing under control. All our forwards are our own. One of the halfbacks is loaned but year long which is the same as a one year contract, plus he was here last year. So, for the last month & half we've been using a maximum of two DR, both in the outside backs. At the moment that's Golding & Sutcliffe (previously Newman & Briscoe) and so the continuity and spirit of the team is improving.

You've got to give the coach a bit of credit for pulling that together. Lads like Maka and Chizzy are obviously 'his' players and it's working for him.

We've got to back all that up with a win on Saturday.

** And Tom Holmes obviously, but he's over that now.

Looking back on all those defeats at Blackpool, the half-backs have always been second best on the day, even Finny in the NR Cup final! I think that was a mistake on Daryl's part to play Kainy as interchange hooker in Andy Ellis's absence, and Thacks and Tiger played out of their skins for Fax.

It's been the same ever since:-  Ridyard & Brierley, Barthau & Sammutt, and Murrell and whoever, although Holmes's injury played a massive part last year.

I feel more confident about the halves this time, as long as nothing untoward happens to Holmes or Chizzy.

Any Fev fans not making the trip - full match commentary on BBC Radio York 666 or 1260am or online on the bbc.co.uk/rugbyleague threads - on air from 5.30pm. Not sure what our WYS colleagues are doing coverage-wise - don't wanna poach their listeners ?

No Toronto fans and won't be that many Swinton fans, how many fev looking at taking? I see with us there the 4 teams in the south stand on the Saturday. Come 7pm during your game the south stand should be pretty packed out like previous years. Can't wait for this

With the squad due to be named this afternoon, will be interesting to see if Ash Golding is included. He's in the Leeds squad for their game this evening but it remains to be seen if he plays or not. If he's not available to us, it will presumably mean we field a similar line-up to our home game against York with Render reverting to full back and maybe Walters centre, Hardcastle wing again.

13 hours ago, Bullmania said:

No Toronto fans and won't be that many Swinton fans, how many fev looking at taking? I see with us there the 4 teams in the south stand on the Saturday. Come 7pm during your game the south stand should be pretty packed out like previous years. Can't wait for this

According to Twitter, the club's put on two coaches. Not sure how many are making their own way there, or if there are unofficial coaches running, mind.

How many Bulls fans are expected?

1 hour ago, hrtbps said:

According to Twitter, the club's put on two coaches. Not sure how many are making their own way there, or if there are unofficial coaches running, mind.

How many Bulls fans are expected?

Last thing I saw was 1600 tickets was sold for this so far should be aiming for the 2,500 mark.

24 minutes ago, PonteBlue said:

Think we got an initial 500 tickets which are sold. 100 more tickets delivered. 60 left.

Looking like the south stand will be packed out.

Archived