Summer Bash

Batley Bob

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needs a new venue for me does Summer Bash. Think Blackpool is a decent place but after a few years it starts to get a bit stale. (it's also be good if one year we didn't have to play the Rams). 

Hopefully we'll do the same as Good Friday and shut their attack out but with 13 men on the pitch this time.

I'm not sure a change of venue would help..........If you're making a weekend of it, where else would you take it without making it a lot more expensive ??  York, Newcastle, Manchester....... All feasible but costly.......... What might help would be to make it the 1895 Trophy Round 2 Weekend, with all Round 2 fixtures being played over the 2 days instead of an extra League fixture.......... More publicity/focus maybe for the 1895 Trophy and freeing up a weekend for Round 3 rather than playing it midweek ??  AND the league itself isn't skewed by an extra game that can often favour some teams and not others........... 

Good idea T73

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

We never do well at Blackpool, but without Sykes I think we have more than a good chance of busting our hoodoo

Dogs 22 - 14 Lambs to the slaughter

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

26 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

I'm not sure a change of venue would help..........If you're making a weekend of it, where else would you take it without making it a lot more expensive ??  York, Newcastle, Manchester....... All feasible but costly.......... What might help would be to make it the 1895 Trophy Round 2 Weekend, with all Round 2 fixtures being played over the 2 days instead of an extra League fixture.......... More publicity/focus maybe for the 1895 Trophy and freeing up a weekend for Round 3 rather than playing it midweek ??  AND the league itself isn't skewed by an extra game that can often favour some teams and not others........... 

A sensible suggestion particularly as it removes the inherent bias in these fixtures. On the other hand maybe the crowds will once again be disappointing, low enough to force the RFL and clubs to consider just how good an idea the whole thing is.

If there were no BB would anyone genuinely miss it?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

We never do well at Blackpool, but without Sykes I think we have more than a good chance of busting our hoodoo

Dogs 22 - 14 Lambs to the slaughter

We can't win every time might be your turn

Looking forward to a get together with rugby leagues proper fans.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

A sensible suggestion particularly as it removes the inherent bias in these fixtures. On the other hand maybe the crowds will once again be disappointing, low enough to force the RFL and clubs to consider just how good an idea the whole thing is.

If there were no BB would anyone genuinely miss it?

You can’t seriously want rid of me !!!

IMG_0583.JPG

Whichever format it may take, it needs to be held in a venue which doesn't make the event look 60% empty. 8,000 capacity at most would at least make the event appear interesting.

never understand why we cant keep the £££ in RL, why the need for blackpool/newcastle/liverpool/old trafford/elland rd.  whats wrong with giants ground, loads a room to set up a load a food/beer stalls/rair ground and make real weekend a job,plenty a B&BS.even york would be great and keep the funds in RL as am sure a lot a clubs need some extra £££ so why give it away.

1 hour ago, Batley Bob said:

Those grounds are council owned , so money would still be leaving rl

PO road it is then..to be fair if were sorted well before hand the stalls could be run by RL folks,but am sure there must be a RL venu fit for the whole weekend that would put more effort in and make a better spectacle, hell last year we were still locked out 25 minutes before kickoff for first game sunday.blackpools just so tired and they take mickey with costs a stuff once the RL folks are in town.

I don't not know why we couldn't have a 9's tournament, with prize money and a trophy to win instead of the Bash and 1895 Cup.

It would not mess up the league then and it would encourage attacking free flowing rugby, something the whole game is sadly lacking currently. 

Personally, I think it would be a better idea than the dreadfully organised and publicised 1895 cup. You could even have the whole bash/9's weekend as just the qualifying rounds for a 9's final to be played as a curtain raiser to the Challenge Cup to help the RFL sell tickets to the Final itself.

Invite businesses to sell their products on stalls outside the ground for free to get them there, they would then help to promote the event. I'm thinking things like micro and craft breweries and street food producers from around the country, make it a real festival and celebration of the game at it's best. It would also be worth getting a few local bands on, kids play areas, it needs to be made in to an event to provide families with a fun packed full day out as well as rugby.

The chairman must agree on all all this... if they didn’t then we’d not get any tv coverage... at least we have that which helps sponsorship and fans etc... but then again what’s the point! I don’t agree with midweek matches as players will be working etc but the bash would work was marked correctly and deals were in place, same with Wembley and etc we’d be not far behind certain sports but folk moaning about old Trafford, Wembley and Elland road etc can’t of been recently as they’ve been part of the big game experience for the last 30 years 

No point using Huddersfield or York or Leigh as we’d lose a lot of money to council owed stadiums 

blackpool might be different when a few thousand Leigh & Widnes fans enter early for there game rather a poor heavy woollen Derby been last... the standard of the Derby in Blackpool hasn’t been great since 2016! 

I’m hoping it is.. maybe moving the Wembley to July in 2020 might help Blackpool if moved to august bank Holiday and the business end of the season with the play offs and relegation spots up for grabs 

41 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

blackpool might be different when a few thousand Leigh & Widnes fans enter early for there game rather a poor heavy woollen Derby been last... the standard of the Derby in Blackpool hasn’t been great since 2016! 

I think one or two Dewsbury supporter might disagree with that. For what ot's worth, I don't think any of our matches at Blackpool have been great, regardless of result.

10 hours ago, distantdog said:

I think one or two Dewsbury supporter might disagree with that. For what ot's worth, I don't think any of our matches at Blackpool have been great, regardless of result.

Agree 100% DD I’ve not seen one good HW derby yet at Blackpool even when we’ve won. Anyway I won’t be there Sunday to see another Rams victory as I’ve other things on,why they had to take it away from the bank holiday weekend ☹️

Plenty on the telly this weekend too - One Day International at Headingley, Cats v Wigan at the Nou Camp.......

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Unfortunately l won't be going! After spending a number of hours wrestling with the website to get tickets, and failing, l have given up. I am sick to death of the system having to constantly re register, despite being a season ticket holder, l have had enough. 

I don't want you to have to deal with this, nor should you whether on hols or not. By paying on the gate, do l get the season ticket discount? If not, why would l pay on the gate? How does that help my club? The technology should make things easier. It doesn't for me so it is pointless as far as l am concerned and self defeating. 

Hope you are enjoying your hols. 

I don't think you can pay on the gate, you pay and pre order your tickets..paying £2 each booking fee and pick them up on the day from Blackpool's booking office...

if we pay and collect from the Bullodogs, when can we pick the tickets up?...when is the club open up to Sunday matchday..?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

Apologies to everyone (especially KN)for being a miserable #### yesterday. I was in the middle of a perfect storm of Leeds Utd losing, the ticketing system being annoying, and trying to sort out a troublesome builder!!

As ever, people from our great club have gone that extra mile to help me and others who can't get tickets. 

However, I am now only calm until the next time I try to use the system to get a ticket. I will ensure I try to talk to someone at the club  before I try to get a ticket rather than after!

Archived